Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle for iPad and iPhone 2.5 supports side-loading

What's New in Version 2.5:
• Continue downloading books while the app is in the background on OS 4 devices.
• Access millions of free and out-of-copyright books from Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive, and other online sources. Open supported files from Safari and Mail or use File Sharing in iTunes to transfer files to your Kindle app.
• Improved image zoom
• New book indicator
• Bug fixes

----

#2 (various forms of side-loading) was the thing I was looking for most.

On a Kindle device, images display at 100% resolution unless the page is not large enough, in which case it scales to fit. The 'improved zoom' in the iOS app seems to refer to the ability to zoom these scaled-down images to 100%, and then pan around. Useful for cover images, and Kindle DX-sized graphics, but it doesn't solve all of the issues, because of limitations of mobi format.

Images are often used to stand in for math formulae, unusual scripts, etc., and are typically sized to work best on a 6" 166dpi Kindle's screen. The inability to specify scaling of images by ems, %, etc. means that such images display too small on devices like iPhone with vastly higher dpi than Kindle or a computer. They should probably provide an app option to scale these images up so they are at least the right relative size, even if they have jaggies. But this won't get better until they fix mobi format so the ebook designer can do what they would surely like to do, and can do in ePub.

In app browsing of Kindle store would be nice, as would ability to add OPDS catalogs (like calibre, feedbooks, gutenberg) directly in the app.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
This is fabulous news. I really think the Kindle app has one of the best iOS reading experiences - two page view, nice night view, and great dictionary/Wikipedia integration.

Does the iOS version support Collections, like the devices?
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
zhleonix
zhleonix doesn't litterzhleonix doesn't litterzhleonix doesn't litter

Device: iPodTouch, Android
Many users complain that it is keeping crash after upgrading to latest version 2.5.
zhleonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
No crashing here at all, and indeed a fantastic reading experience! How ironic that my favorite Apps now are Kindle and iBooks. Who would have thought....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
While these are indeed nice improvements, they still have not provided the single greatest feature of iBooks. That's the ability to sync my place between Apple devices. Based upon my testing, Whispersync does not work for side loaded books.
Does it work for anyone else?
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
also missing

I'm still missing hyphenation too, but great update otherwise and a step in the right direction.
holterzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
The best thing about this update is the ease at which one can download from Feedbooks, Manybooks, and here. It's almost easier than buying a book on Amazon. Now if we could only synch it up with Calibre for organizing. I'm getting so many Kindle books that I can't keep track of them.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post
While these are indeed nice improvements, they still have not provided the single greatest feature of iBooks. That's the ability to sync my place between Apple devices. Based upon my testing, Whispersync does not work for side loaded books.
Does it work for anyone else?
You can get side-loaded books to sync if you use 'mobi2mobi' to add an 'EXTH' record to make it look like an Amazon book. It is one of the 'mobiperl' tools for manipulating mobi files:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Mobiperl
Old 01-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

There have been some reports that side-loading of non-DRMed .azw files from Amazon cause failure:
http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/up...ats-correctly/

However, I have not been able to reproduce this.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Okkoto86
Okkoto86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can get side-loaded books to sync if you use 'mobi2mobi' to add an 'EXTH' record to make it look like an Amazon book. It is one of the 'mobiperl' tools for manipulating mobi files:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Mobiperl
Care to elaborate on this? I just did a bunch of searching and all I can find are posts stating that what you said to do is impossible. I would love to get whispersync working on personal docs.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out

Last edited by Okkoto86; 01-13-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Okkoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 AM   #11
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
the dictionary download takes forever (I remember it was lightning fast when I first installed the app but I had it deleted for some time)
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #12
papelboyh1
papelboyh1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhleonix View Post
Many users complain that it is keeping crash after upgrading to latest version 2.5.
hasnt crash here yet
papelboyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #13
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
Mine didn't crash, but I tried to load a non DRM Mobi file this evening and it shows up in the Kindle iPad App, but when I try to open it, it says I need to load the book from my Kindle Archive. It is not a Kindle eBook. I tried rebooting the iPad and also the Kindle App, with no luck. Any ideas?
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote