Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
Neil B
Neil B began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can't Set Up Calibre in Windows 10 PC

I had Calibre running perfectly on my PC but unfortunately, I had to reinstall Windows on it. The Calibre database is fine on a hard disk (E drive) and Calibre was successfully downloaded to the C drive. When starting it up displays the message shown on the attachment. The details are:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 304, in initialize_db
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 82, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 47, in create_backend
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 408, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\schema_upgrades.py", line 19, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 874, in execute
File "c:\t\t\apsw-r08j4l0g\src\cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
ReadOnlyError: ReadOnlyError: attempt to write a readonly database

It will not rebuild it although it says it is trying and when I try to set up an empty library is crashes and closes.

I have re-downloaded the software several times and always with the same result. Any help would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-23 153929.png
Views:	205
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	176617  
Neil B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Read only <<< You need to fix that
It may be a Ownership problem as the file belonged (?) to a different installation at one time . I know backing up to DVD/CD will make all the files READ ONLY, even when copied back to RW media. You can use wxplorer to change that back
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Read only <<< You need to fix that
It may be a Ownership problem as the file belonged (?) to a different installation at one time . I know backing up to DVD/CD will make all the files READ ONLY, even when copied back to RW media. You can use wxplorer to change that back
i was about to post a similar diagnosis but this put me off
"when I try to set up an empty library is crashes and closes"

the OPs post is unclear as to whether C crashes once he selects the E drive library or crashes before it gets that far.

he does not say but I wonder if he has restored some backup of his calibre config, that points to E:, so Calibre tries to go there immediately and gets a permissions error.

the obvious test is to completely remove calibre, and any associated folders from C drive, do a clean re-install, then try to create an empty library at the default location

then - IF he reports back - we'll have a better understanding. IF he doesn't, well it won't be the first time we've been time-wasted
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
they ask, they vanish.....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote