Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
tellmeastory
tellmeastory began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Get Top Tool Bar to Display

Somewhere along the line when upgrading, now when I go to view a book, I cannot get the top toolbar to display anymore that shows page number, search, page advance, goto, etc like in this picture. I've spent hours trying things and posted on other forums. I finally found this forum and hope there is someone here.

Please help!

Thanks.

Last edited by tellmeastory; 01-16-2020 at 02:14 PM.
tellmeastory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That top tool bar has gone. To get a search box, check the Start Search keyboard shortcut - I have mine set to Ctrl+F, but that's probably not the default.

If Reference Mode is toggled (right pointing finger in toolbar) a location will be displayed in top right corner when you hover over a paragraph.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
tellmeastory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That top tool bar has gone. To get a search box, check the Start Search keyboard shortcut - I have mine set to Ctrl+F, but that's probably not the default.

If Reference Mode is toggled (right pointing finger in toolbar) a location will be displayed in top right corner when you hover over a paragraph.

BR
Well, thanks for letting me know I was barking up an empty tree. I liked that functionality because I use Calibre a lot for researching/finding things in books like 1) looking up a recipe in a cookbook, or 2) researching political books or biographies for specific information later 3) finding certain pithy quotes in books, etc.

That is too bad. Maybe I need to find a different e-reader that is more friendly for the activities I am usually using Calibre for like searching, or finding a specific page number, etc.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From functional perspective Search hasn't changed, all you have to do is a Start search; then a text box pops in the top left corner. You can start search from the menu or via a shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+F).

Similarly with Reference numbers, when toggled on, they will display at top right of current paragraph, and there's a Go to panel into which you can type reference numbers - Ctrl+G will pop it

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-17 112304.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	176477

Maybe there could be toolbar buttons for Start Search and Go To.

BR
Old 01-16-2020, 11:44 PM   #5
tellmeastory

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
From functional perspective Search hasn't changed, all you have to do is a Start search; then a text box pops in the top left corner. You can start search from the menu or via a shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+F).

Similarly with Reference numbers, when toggled on, they will display at top right of current paragraph, and there's a Go to panel into which you can type reference numbers - Ctrl+G will pop it

Attachment 176477

Maybe there could be toolbar buttons for Start Search and Go To.

BR
Thanks again for letting me know how to get what I'm looking for. I see friends who are great at keyboard shortcuts - me, not so good. I know ctrl a, c, v, z and that seems about the extent of my memory capacity. I know that's lame but it is what it is. It's just I am not using Calibre all the time. I might use every day for a week and then go a month not using it. Remembering shortcuts is hard for me in that scenario. But, all that said, thank you very much for the help. I really do appreciate the info and will try to use it.

Slightly different subject - what calibre rev would I have to roll back to in order to see things as they used to be in my picture of what I'm looking for? And, is there a place to get previous revs?

Last edited by tellmeastory; 01-16-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmeastory View Post
Thanks again for letting me know how to get what I'm looking for. I see friends who are great at keyboard shortcuts - me, not so good. I know ctrl a, c, v, z and that seems about the extent of my memory capacity. I know that's lame but it is what it is. It's just I am not using Calibre all the time. I might use every day for a week and then go a month not using it. Remembering shortcuts is hard for me in that scenario. But, all that said, thank you very much for the help. I really do appreciate the info and will try to use it.

Slightly different subject - what calibre rev would I have to roll back to in order to see things as they used to be in my picture of what I'm looking for? And, is there a place to get previous revs?
The only shortcut you have to remember is 'Esc' to get at the 'menu', where you'll find buttons for Search and Go To

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-01-17 154607.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	176478

I can never find things on that menu, it can only be driven with a mouse or similar and I don't like using a mouse etc - i.e. I'm the opposite to you

The version you want is 3.48, and all previous versions are available from here - that link is also on each download page

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-17-2020 at 01:04 AM.