Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 11:30 PM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
GlowLight Plus vs GlowLight 3

I didn't realize that any of the Nook eReaders had page turn buttons ... so, I've given up on converting my mother's Nook books and am looking into getting her a new Nook eReader.

I haven't used a Nook reader in many years.

I see on the B&N website that there are two (non-tablet) eReaders ... GlowLight Plus and GlowLight 3.

I can compare the pricing & specs, but my concern is the ratings.

The Plus is rated at 4 stars by 51 reviewers. The 3 is rated 2.5 stars by 177 reviewers.

The reviews can't be sorted ... usually I look at reviews in chronological order, since updates can make a so-so product better or a good product bad.

Anyway, could someone sort of "nut-shell" the issues with either or both of these readers?

Thank you!

Susie
Kansas
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:11 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Glowlight 3 had various issues with slowness and sideloaded content vanishing. As I don't own the device, I have no idea if it's gotten better or not.

The Glowlight Plus has few problems. It's slower than Kobos or Kindles, but otherwise pretty stable. Some users have reported their sideloaded content vanishing like with the Glowlight 3, but there have not been many of those.

Personally I have over 1000 sideloaded books on my Glowlight Plus and I haven't noticed any issues. The trick is to use strictly Calibre for adding and deleting books, not load hundreds of books in one batch (better string them out, say 10 books in a batch, wait till the job's finished, then load another batch), eject the Nook from Calibre and not pull the plug until it's finished processing the books (you'll see the covers quickly alternating on the homescreen, don't disconnect until they've stopped).

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-19-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Let me emphasize what Sirtel said, DO NOT unplug the ereader from the PC too soon!

My PC shows a pop-up stating that it is safe to unplug the device. IT IS WRONG!!! Watch the ereader carefully. My Kobo allows me to check that the new books are accessible on the reader. Only then do I unplug it. I don't know if the NOOK will let you do that.

Unplugging the ereader while it is still transferring data will corrupt the database, and then things get messy.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The glowlight 3 and the glowlight plus 7.8" are quite similar except that the 3 is 6" and the plus is 7.8". Another difference is that the 3 has a slightly clearer screen because the touch system is infrared, wheres the plus is capacitive and so has an extra layer over the display. But both screens should be clear enough. It's not a biggie. A more important point is do you want a 7.8" screen to read books on? Many people find it too heavy and too large. If you mother's eyes are not great, then the 7.8" might be better so she can increase the font size. On the other hand, if her hands are weak, it might be too heavy.

Apart from that, the devices are fairly similar. There were issues with the Nook GL3 firmware, but I'm not sure it's still an issue, and I'm not sure the plus and the 3 even use different software now.

I have a GL3 and I really like it, but I have rooted it and put custom software on it. The screen is ultra clear. Best screen I've ever had.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
I have a Glowlight Plus 7.8” and love it. Looked at both in the store and while there are differences in the screen, it is very slight IMO. I don’t know your mother’s age, but I’m 76 and find it not too big or heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I too have a GL+7.8 and I like if very much. I have sideloaded many books from Calibre with no problems whatsoever. I only load in small batches, about 10 - 20 at a time and I have had no problems. I have over 1500 books in my B&N account and almost that many from Amazon. Since I got used to the 7.8 inch screen, I find the 6 inch looks tiny. I have started using a slightly larger font size (getting older) and have no problem with the size and weight of the larger Nook.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
One more question, everyone talks about sideloading with Calibre ... when I last used a Nook (as I said, years and years ago ... maybe the one with the color section at the bottom) ... anyway, I would check out books from the library and use Adobe Digital Editions to load them. Does that still work?

The eReader I use works with Overdrive and I can get about 80% of my library books when I do a sync. The rest I need to use ADE to load them.

Thank you for all the wonderful advice! This is way better than trying to wade though the reviews!

Susie
Kansas
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I don't know if the Nook supports borrowing from libraries. I believe the Kobo and the Kindle supports it, but I am not sure. I am not in the USA. If library support is important, maybe ask what e-readers do it and how well in the What e-reader sub-section.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't use libraries personally, but yes, the Nook should still support library books. AFAIK you can't borrow them directly on the device, you'll need ADE on your computer.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I own both. I love the Plus. The screen is better than the regular glowlight. I own many kobos, kindles, nooks and The Plus is my favorite Nook so far.

I have no issues with sideloading or finding my sideloaded material. I experience no sluggishness at all.

Last edited by HLS; 01-20-2020 at 04:07 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:02 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I own a 3, but not the Plus (the Plus in my profile is the older, white waterproof one).

The 3 was pretty bad for a while. The software was buggy, sideloaded books would take a long time to show up. I believe that's the reason for the low ratings.

There was a software update a month or so ago that seems to have fixed most (all?) of the issues. The device seems faster too. I have been happier with the 3 since the update than I was since I bought it.

If you get a 3, just make sure to let it update.

I don't borrow library books. I believe you can use ADE to load them.

However, if the library is going to be the bulk of your reading, you might want to look at Kobo (available on Walmart's website or directly from Kobo). Kobo devices let you borrow books via overdrive directly on the reader as easily as buying a book from the store.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
I have the Nook GL3 and what Zodwallop says about the recent software update is true - you can now load library ebooks and ebooks bought from other sites such as Kobo and Googleplay onto the GL3 with Adobe. In the past that wasn't possible and no doubt it's one reason the GL3 got such poor ratings.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote