Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2017, 03:39 AM   #1
sahbi
Enthusiast
sahbi is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony:psr 650 , KOBO:aura h2O, KOBO:Aura One
Compile and run own kernel

I am trying to compile and run my own kernel for the h2o, compilation is successfull except some warnings, but I fail when trying to boot with the new kernel, the power button led gets on and that´s it, until I turn it off. I am using the toolchain kernel and config from kobolabs. Am I missing something? is there any extra steps I overlooked? please help.
sahbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:54 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
You'll need to build an uImage for uboot, not a bzImage.

The led its on and not blinking? This means your kernel isn't loaded yet.

You could look here: https://github.com/pazos/linux-2.6.35.3-kobo and see my commits for a working example for the Kobo Aura HD. The only thing missing from stock sources is the wifi driver.

ie: building the kernel you'll need `make uImage modules`
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
sahbi
Enthusiast
sahbi is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony:psr 650 , KOBO:aura h2O, KOBO:Aura One
Thanks pazos for the help, yes indeed I´m using the make uImage make target, or the other way, I´m using mkimage and the zImage, the kernel seems fine, and then use dd to write it to address 100000, but as said it´s not booting.

Quote:
The led its on and not blinking? This means your kernel isn't loaded yet
or maybe it`s crashing or simply hanging in the middle of the boot phase, due to a bad config, has anybody succeeded on the aura h2o to get a running custom kernel already?
sahbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Ok, good to know.

Please check your kernel config. The stock config isn't good at all. You need to look for CONFIG_CMDLINE option. Please remove this option because anything there will override the cmdline passed to the kernel from uboot. (ie: in my aura HD the rootfs=/dev/mtdblock2, which does not exists)

https://github.com/pazos/linux-2.6.3...62c94bb47fR365

Last edited by pazos; 04-08-2017 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add a link
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote