Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
wroane
Enthusiast
wroane began at the beginning.

Device: First 3 Kindles, H2O, Last 3 years Kobo Aura One
Anyone still rocking their old Aura One?

I just can't get into the buttons on the Forma, and love the look and feel of my One. I only got it years ago when my old H2O had an unfortunate accident and the One happened to come out that month. The only thing I feel is missing is audio support. I will mourn the day this old girl gives up the ghost

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
wroane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroane View Post
I just can't get into the buttons on the Forma, and love the look and feel of my One. I only got it years ago when my old H2O had an unfortunate accident and the One happened to come out that month. The only thing I feel is missing is audio support. I will mourn the day this old girl gives up the ghost
Mine’s still my go-to reader. I prefer the oblong shape to the blockier shape of the Forma and while I missed buttons when I first moved from Sony, I got over it. I also suspect the extra 0.2” on the Forma would make no difference to me. And yes, visually it’s got a sleek, minimalist look that the Forma with its one-sided big bezel doesn’t have.

I’ll mourn also and given that it’s coming up on five years old, who knows how much time it’s got left? But I have five Kobos and they’re all still in use and only the oldest, a Glo I got when they first came out, is a little wonky. It doesn’t always restart successfully until I’ve made a few attempts, so I just let it sleep lest it decide to take the big sleep. I hope this bodes well for the longevity of my One - and also because the Forma’s more money than I’d want to spend on a replacement device.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
Same here. I love the Aura One except for the wonky touch sensitivity, which sometimes plays havoc with my highlighting. But the size is just right for me and I love the lack of buttons. I do use my Forma a lot as well, but I would say I go to the Aura One for long, involved reading sessions, such as a really good novel.
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm using it as my ereader at home and I like it. Forma, I've tried it and I don't like it.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
AFAIK my aunt is still using the Aura One I gave her after I got my Forma. Though she’s not one to stay on the edge for electronics.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2021, 12:26 AM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Still love my Aura One, but it's getting older with shorter battery life for sure. I read a lot, so no reader has ever had a long battery life with me, and I'm used to it and don't mind that much.

However, occasionally the screen does some really weird things and I worry my Aura One is going to fail suddenly. The picture is from yesterday. And I had to open/close the sleep cover several times before the screen finally looked normal again.

When you are a reading ADDICT, it's a BIG worry!

So, with Forma recently being on sale, I have a Forma on order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210920_193624727_Kobo_Aura_One_screen_weirdness_m_600H.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	189348  
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:48 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Still love my Aura One, but it's getting older with shorter battery life for sure. I read a lot, so no reader has ever had a long battery life with me, and I'm used to it and don't mind that much.

However, occasionally the screen does some really weird things and I worry my Aura One is going to fail suddenly. The picture is from yesterday. And I had to open/close the sleep cover several times before the screen finally looked normal again.

When you are a reading ADDICT, it's a BIG worry!
That looks like you have the invert screen mode enabled. If this is the 4.28.x firmware, then it is probably due to the changes in how that works and the Dark Mode introduced for the Elipsa. And if that is the case, then it isn't a real issue. Tuning off the invert screen should be enough to solve it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
My beloved KA1 is my one and only. I don't use my Forma at all.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That looks like you have the invert screen mode enabled. If this is the 4.28.x firmware, then it is probably due to the changes in how that works and the Dark Mode introduced for the Elipsa. And if that is the case, then it isn't a real issue. Tuning off the invert screen should be enough to solve it.
Except I've never turned on any invert screen mode on the Aura One and wouldn't know where or how? I don't use invert modes, and the only ereader I've tried it on is my Kindle Oasis 2 and only for epub testing purposes, after which, I turn it back to normal. My eyes detest white on black text!

It started happening a while back with it doing it primarily on ebook covers and usually, closing the sleep cover and opening again would fix it. This is the first time it's happened on the home screen and it took several tries before it returned to normal.

And it did it again just now. Opening and closing the sleep cover wouldn't fix it this morning, but touching the home button got me a normal screen. I love this reader, but I can't help but feel something is not working right. Page refresh is set to every three pages, as I hate ghosting. Battery was fully charged this morning as well, as I set it on the charger last night. So it's not that.

If you can tell me where to find this invert mode I can check, see if somehow it's accidentally gotten turned on, but I didn't think my Kobo *had* an invert mode! I just looked around and I sure don't see one anywhere. Firmware is current.

Last edited by graycyn; 09-22-2021 at 11:46 AM. Reason: addition to post
Old 09-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
I love my Aura One. It's my Preciouss! Besides, even if I wanted a new one, I couldn't afford it.
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Except I've never turned on any invert screen mode on the Aura One and wouldn't know where or how? I don't use invert modes, and the only ereader I've tried it on is my Kindle Oasis 2 and only for epub testing purposes, after which, I turn it back to normal. My eyes detest white on black text!

It started happening a while back with it doing it primarily on ebook covers and usually, closing the sleep cover and opening again would fix it. This is the first time it's happened on the home screen and it took several tries before it returned to normal.

And it did it again just now. Opening and closing the sleep cover wouldn't fix it this morning, but touching the home button got me a normal screen. I love this reader, but I can't help but feel something is not working right. Page refresh is set to every three pages, as I hate ghosting. Battery was fully charged this morning as well, as I set it on the charger last night. So it's not that.

If you can tell me where to find this invert mode I can check, see if somehow it's accidentally gotten turned on, but I didn't think my Kobo *had* an invert mode! I just looked around and I sure don't see one anywhere. Firmware is current.
Kobo hasn't had an official invert mode. There is developer option to turn it on. And a separate hack to do it. But, if you have never used it, then it isn't the problem.

Something like that could be sign that an updated didn't happen properly. Manually putting the firmware update on the device can fix things like this. Or, in the extreme, doing a factory reset.

Otherwise, it could timing. You are opening the cover at exactly the wrong time so that the device is changing state and gets into some sort of confused state. I don't know exactly what, but, that it goes away when you close and reopen the cover suggests something like that.

It could also be the book, or the cover image generated for it. I've had a couple of books with a cover image that triggered a different method for updating the screen when going to sleep. Which also caused some interesting affects when the device woke. Replacing the cover in the book solved this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #12
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo hasn't had an official invert mode. There is developer option to turn it on. And a separate hack to do it. But, if you have never used it, then it isn't the problem.

Something like that could be sign that an updated didn't happen properly. Manually putting the firmware update on the device can fix things like this. Or, in the extreme, doing a factory reset.

Otherwise, it could timing. You are opening the cover at exactly the wrong time so that the device is changing state and gets into some sort of confused state. I don't know exactly what, but, that it goes away when you close and reopen the cover suggests something like that.

It could also be the book, or the cover image generated for it. I've had a couple of books with a cover image that triggered a different method for updating the screen when going to sleep. Which also caused some interesting affects when the device woke. Replacing the cover in the book solved this.

I don't *think* it's a cover image, as it's happened too many times on different covers over the past year. It just seems to be worse lately. But I'll try replacing a cover next time it does that on a cover instead of a homescreen or library screen.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts and I may try a factory reset. It's not a big deal, as my books are in Calibre and I don't tend to keep a lot of books on the device. I load, read through, load more with occasional turning on of the WiFi to fetch a library lend. I don't patch, so it's stock Kobo.

This gives me some hope! Although I'm looking forward to trying the Forma, I've been feeling sad thinking the Aura One might be on its last legs.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:13 AM   #13
wroane
Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't *think* it's a cover image, as it's happened too many times on different covers over the past year. It just seems to be worse lately. But I'll try replacing a cover next time it does that on a cover instead of a homescreen or library screen.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts and I may try a factory reset. It's not a big deal, as my books are in Calibre and I don't tend to keep a lot of books on the device. I load, read through, load more with occasional turning on of the WiFi to fetch a library lend. I don't patch, so it's stock Kobo.

This gives me some hope! Although I'm looking forward to trying the Forma, I've been feeling sad thinking the Aura One might be on its last legs.
Actually, Kobo does have a setting for inverting the screen on the One. It's in settings-device information- developer options- iinvert screen.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:47 AM   #14
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
I'm still perfectly happy with my Kobo Aura One. I haven't been able to synch it since August last year, though. Calibre says the database is fine.

I can upgrade the software, and I can download purchased books by asking to "read" them and then cancelling out of the download gadget that appears when it gets to 100% and freezes. Hmm. But "synch" never completes. I disabled the screensaver, plugged the kobo in, and left it synching for over 48 hours before giving up.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:17 PM   #15
wroane
Enthusiast

Oh man, I just updated to Windows 11 and can't get Calibre to open. Anyone else experienced this?