Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #1
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sigil-1.4.1 Released with Critical Fix

Sigil-1.4.1

Sigil-1.4.1 represents a critical bug fix release meant to replace Sigil 1.4.0. It has all the features of Sigil 1.4.0 including new icon themes and multiple language spell checking.

Bug Fixes:
  • Critical bug fix for over xml encoding opf metadata when it includes html tags
  • Revert ctrl-f to it long standing Find and Replace behaviour

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check the Sigil Wiki for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.

Mac users should still download and install ActiveState's ActiveTcl Community Edition to utilize plugins that use Tk/Tcl GUIs. More here.
Mac users should also check out the wiki entry on the New Release File Format

The latest Sigil user guide can always be downloaded from its own repository.

PGP Fingerprint

The binary downloads (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of The Sigil Github Release page.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2020 at 02:20 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reserved just in case it is needed for a follow-on announcement related to this release.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:41 AM   #3
Violand
Violand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, first of all I apologize for my English.
This is my first post and for the first time I want to compliment and thank you immensely for this wonderful software and the work you do.

I would like to report a bug of this version (1.4.1, but it was also present in 1.4.0, with the introduction of the double dictionary, really useful thing and thanks for that feature):

The spell check box does not work.

— In epub2, clicking on the word in the box does not take you to the related text
— Moreover, there is no correspondence between the misspelled word and the language (even if I select English as "Primary Language Dictionary" in the settings, whatever I set English as "User Interface Language", in the box it always gives me my national language – I presume it is due to my system dictionary language –, in my case: Italian)

— In epub3, the words do not even appear in the box

I hope you can fix it and I apologize for not being able to report the bug in time to fix it in version 1.4.1, but you were faster than my ability to report the error in an understandable way (which I hope I did) .

A greeting and thanks again
Violand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violand View Post
— In epub2, clicking on the word in the box does not take you to the related text
I confirm it. But it doesn't always work!
I rarely click on wrong words and haven't noticed this error.

Quote:
— Moreover, there is no correspondence between the misspelled word and the language (even if I select English as "Primary Language Dictionary" in the settings, whatever I set English as "User Interface Language", in the box it always gives me my national language – I presume it is due to my system dictionary language –, in my case: Italian)
Main language for epub is related to language in metadata.
You probably have Italian in the metadata in the epub file (which is good!)
Code:
<dc:language>it</dc:language>
Primary Language Dictionary and Secondary Language Dictionary are for highlighting mispelled words (red wave lines) – this spell checker inside Code View then uses two dictionaries.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have already found the crux of the problem.

Clicking only works when two conditions are met:
1. Preferences - Default Metadata Language: ITALIAN
2. Language in EPUB Metadata: ITALIAN

This is not good.
The default metadata language in Preferences shouldn't matter, as it only applies to creating new files.

Of course, ITALIAN can be substituted by any other language, but if they do not match, clicking does nothing.

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 11-17-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I still do not follow exactly how to recreate this issue and if there are two issues or just one.
So would someone supply an exact list of steps on how to recreate the issue or issues:

What language/dictionary settings are being used where?

And if the spellcheck dialog is being used, what xml:lang or lang is being set and where?

And what exactly are you clicking on? A word in the spellcheck dialog that is marked as misspelled?

Thanks!

Last edited by KevinH; 11-17-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
I have already found the crux of the problem.

Clicking only works when two conditions are met:
1. Preferences - Default Metadata Language: ITALIAN
2. Language in EPUB Metadata: ITALIAN
I don't think that both conditions must be met. I was also able to reproduce this issue with this German MR epub2 book when I changed the primary and secondary dictionaries to German -Germany.

However, with another German MR epub3 book the problem didn't occur.

UI language and default metadata language are set to English.

@KevinH: The spell check in the Code View window works fine, what doesn't work is clicking misspelled words in the Spellcheck dialog box.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
BeckyEbook
Guru

Step by step:

1. Preferences > Language > Default Language For Metadata
Set English

2. Create new EPUB file.
In a first xhtml file save strange word, for example "dżewo".

3. In EPUB metadata should be entry:
<dc:language>en</dc:language>

And now Spellcheck by button on toolbar.
In the list of misspellings you will see:
Word: dżewo
Count: 1
Language: English
Misspelled?: Yes

Click on "dżewo" and you will jump to the wrong word in Code View.

All is OK.

And now:
Change the language to German, French, Spanish or whatever you have the dictionary installed for. Manually (in OPF file) or by Metadata Editor.
<dc:language>de</dc:language>

Again press Spellcheck button.
Word: dżewo
Count: 1
Language: German (good!!!)
Misspelled?: Yes

But clicking on the wrong word won't work.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@Doitsu,
When proper xml:lang or lang attributes been set on html tag and when needed on subtags for multiple languages? Or just when no xml:lang or lag attributes are used?
As it appears to work on my machine but everything is set to English. So again, what exact steps do I need to get this issue or issues to appear?

@BeckyEbook
So no xml:lang or lang attributes set anyplace?

Last edited by KevinH; 11-17-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
When proper xml:lang or lang attributes been set on html tag and when needed on subtags for multiple languages? Or just when no xml:lang or lag attributes are used?
As it appears to work on my machine but everything is set to English. So again, what exact steps do I need to get this issue or issues to appear?
  • Change primary and secondary dictionaries to German - Germany.
  • Download and open this epub2 book.
  • Select Tools > Spellcheck > Spellcheck.
  • Click any word in the left column. Result: nothing happens. Expected result: the cursor should be moved to the misspelled word.

If you repeat this test with this epub3 book, no problem occurs.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #11
BeckyEbook
Guru

Exactly. "Naked" default file, without lang and xml:lang.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
BeckyEbook
Guru

@Doitsu.
Get your epub2 file and change:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
to:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="de">
...and clicking in the Spellcheck box will work.

So – as @KevinH rightly suspected – lang and xml:lang are key.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

So when no xml:lang and/or lang on root, it must be defaulting to the deafult metadata language and not the actual metadata language someplace.

I will try and track it down using this and Doitsu's steps.

But the workaround is to just set a lang tag on the html node hopefully.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
Violand
Violand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Main language for epub is related to language in metadata.
You probably have Italian in the metadata in the epub file (which is good!)
Code:
<dc:language>it</dc:language>
Primary Language Dictionary and Secondary Language Dictionary are for highlighting mispelled words (red wave lines) – this spell checker inside Code View then uses two dictionaries.
Thank you very much, your passage helped me to understand something more:

I'm sorry, I said an inaccuracy earlier. EPUB3 has nothing to do with the problem. The problem was that the metadata language (dc: language) – in my epub3 – was "it-IT" (and not just "it"). But I only have an "it" dictionary, so the Spellcheck Box didn't show me ANY words. So this "error" depended only on me and on the dictionaries installed. Now I have added an "it-IT" dictionary and everything works perfectly.

Then the problem is only one – at least as far as I can verify:

if the metadata language (dc: language) of the epub and the "Defaul Language For Metadata" in Sigil do not coincide perfectly, the jump from the Spellcheck Box to the word in the text (Code View) does not work.

But I have a further question: does the Spellcheck Box have anything to do with the secondary dictionary? (In this case, what's the point of putting the language next to each word in the Box?)
Violand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
BeckyEbook
Guru

Quote:
if the metadata language (dc: language) of the epub and the "Defaul Language For Metadata" in Sigil do not coincide perfectly, the jump from the Spellcheck Box to the word in the text (Code View) does not work.
This is probably side effect. Look on post #12 – add lang to html tag and then will work without matched default language for metadata.

Quote:
But I have a further question: does the Spellcheck Box have anything to do with the secondary dictionary? (In this case, what's the point of putting the language next to each word in the Box?)
Sigil is a clever program.
Although Primary and Secondary Dictionaries are used to check spelling in Code View, you can use many, many languages in an e-pub file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	multi-lang-spell-check.png
Views:	242
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	183451