Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
K4NT vs. the New $69 Kindle

The New $69 Kindle arrived via FedEx about an hour ago. Some initial impressions:

1. I like the black bezel, slightly more rubberized back, and fit/finish. It somehow feels "softer" in the hand. I don't notice fingerprints. The silver Kindle logo on top looks classier. Overall, a nicer looking device than the K4NT.

2. The screen is noticeably better - more contrast and whiter (less grey?) background. The fonts seem a little bit cleaner and blacker but it may just be the improved contrast with the lighter background.

3. The page turns are slightly faster and cleaner - I'd say the 15% improvement feels about right if that's the case.

I've owned every Kindle since day one. My favorite is the K4NT and with the improvements made in the new $69 Kindle, this is the best yet.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post
The New $69 Kindle arrived via FedEx about an hour ago. Some initial impressions:

1. I like the black bezel, slightly more rubberized back, and fit/finish. It somehow feels "softer" in the hand. I don't notice fingerprints. The silver Kindle logo on top looks classier. Overall, a nicer looking device than the K4NT.

2. The screen is noticeably better - more contrast and whiter (less grey?) background. The fonts seem a little bit cleaner and blacker but it may just be the improved contrast with the lighter background.

3. The page turns are slightly faster and cleaner - I'd say the 15% improvement feels about right if that's the case.

I've owned every Kindle since day one. My favorite is the K4NT and with the improvements made in the new $69 Kindle, this is the best yet.
A darker bezel would make the eink screen appear to be relatively brighter. But yours may also be actually brighter due to manufacturing variations in the eink Pearl screens.

Page turn speed is purely software. It is good if they improved that in newer firmware.

If it is running 4.x firmware, it would still be a K4. Of course, you can call it a K69 if you wish.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-08-2012 at 01:32 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

What is the version of the firmware running on the new K4?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
A darker bezel would make the eink screen appear to be relatively brighter. But yours may also be actually brighter due to manufacturing variations in the eink Pearl screens.
No, if you overlap them you can definitely tell that the new one is better. I had another K4NT before this and the screen wasn't as good as the K4NT that I have now. Unless they degrade with age and use, there could be a very wide variation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Page turn speed is purely software. It is good if they improved that in newer firmware.

If it is running 4.x firmware, it would still be a K4. Of course, you can call it a K69 if you wish.
Yes, it's not something you'd really notice unless you compare them side to side.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
AintLDS
No soliciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
What is the version of the firmware running on the new K4?
They are both identical - 4.1.0 (1615370055)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
They are both identical - 4.1.0 (1615370055)
That is as we suspected. Does the new K4 really turn pages faster than the older K4 you have, in a side by side comparison? I'm thinking the 15% faster marketing statement might be just that--Amazon trying to blow smoke up our backsides. I think 15% would be nearly impossible to perceive.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
AintLDS
No soliciting

Quote:
That is as we suspected. Does the new K4 really turn pages faster than the older K4 you have, in a side by side comparison? I'm thinking the 15% faster marketing statement might be just that--Amazon trying to blow smoke up our backsides. I think 15% would be nearly impossible to perceive.
Like I said, the perception is that it's just a little cleaner and faster. Not something you'd notice unless you have them side by side. I figured that with the same firmware, there would be no difference and any perceived difference would be because of the newness factor of the device. But after messing with it for quite a while, it really is a little better. Go figure. It's possible there are some hardware revisions as well that can account for the improvements.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Like I said, the perception is that it's just a little cleaner and faster. Not something you'd notice unless you have them side by side. I figured that with the same firmware, there would be no difference and any perceived difference would be because of the newness factor of the device. But after messing with it for quite a while, it really is a little better. Go figure. It's possible there are some hardware revisions as well that can account for the improvements.
There could be some hardware changes. If so probably nothing major. In my opinion the black bezel is a good upgrade, but maybe not enough to warrant a new purchase for some.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
AintLDS
No soliciting

Quote:
There could be some hardware changes. If so probably nothing major. In my opinion the black bezel is a good upgrade, but maybe not enough to warrant a new purchase for some.
I agree. If you're happy with your K4NT, this is just a very slight refinement. If you've got a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket, you'll be happy with the new one and can gift your old one away (mine is going to my wife).

I have a Paperwhite on order and I have a feeling that one will blow people away.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Deleted......

Last edited by jswinden; 09-08-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Pics or it didn't happen OP.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
I was just comparing the size/weight specs for the two K4s. The new one appears to be speced smaller and lighter. Is this the case?

K4 2011 4.7" x 6.8" x 0.39" and weighs 7.6 oz
K4 2012 4.5" x 6.5" x 0.34" and weighs 6.0 oz
Could it be that your 2011 specs are incorrect? I'm pretty sure the K4 was 6 oz. The 2011 specs you have look like those for the Kindle Touch.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Could it be that your 2011 specs are incorrect? I'm pretty sure the K4 was 6 oz. The 2011 specs you have look like those for the Kindle Touch.
Both K4s have the same dimensions. The 2011 specs appear to be for the Touch.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
You are correct, I opened the wrong manual, the one for the Touch. My bad. The size/weight specs are indeed identical between the two models.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
AintLDS
No soliciting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Pics or it didn't happen OP.
Well, yeah, I knew that was coming. Just don't make fun of my pics, blame lighting differences, etc. Quickly taken with my Nikon D300:

Sorry about the profanity laced page - not intentional.