Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #31
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
M series are bigger, more powerful and thus are harder to cool and use more power. They can do it in an iPad due to the larger surface area and bigger battery but not in the iPhone. The iPhone is better off with a chip that doesn't use as much battery, doesn't take up as much space on the board and doesn't burn your hands. The cheaper iPads will continue to use A series chips to differentiate between the Pro/non-Pro models.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:23 PM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Perhaps, but why wouldn’t they offer the benefits of M architecture across the line? It’s obviously superior (significant space and performance gains, fewer parts to assemble). It’s not clear it costs more to produce, either. Whereas continuing development of A in parallel seems pointless

A-series will continue with HomePod and Apple TV, but these don’t need more than A12 (same as iPhone) for the foreseeable future..
Power consumption and thermals. The M1 is basically the A14 with slightly higher peak clock rate, 2 more high power/performance cores, 4 more GPU cores and double the memory lanes. The M architecture is based on A architecture, not the other way around.

Really, the M1 is pretty much what the A14X would’ve been but branded differently probably partly so it doesn’t offend the Mac users to know the new Macs are getting an iPad chip. Indeed, because of the change in branding, they can now boast that the latest iPad Pro is getting a Mac chip.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 05-30-2021 at 06:28 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2021, 08:44 AM   #33
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I'm guessing your father wasn't a photographer or a professional who travelled about where a laptop was not very convenient to have in the field.

While using the right tool for the job is often the best, it is not always the wisest or most convenient choice. Apparently I'm conversing with Apple fanboys here, who think Apple never does anything wrong. However, ask most any photographer, videographer, etc. which device they would prefer in the field and they will likely say a tablet. Laptops are just too cumbersome to use.

I'm sad that people who just want an expensive toy to watch videos and play games on cannot see past their own limited usage to understand the need for a real professional tool which if properly equipped with a usable, capable OS could make their professional work and hobbies so much easier to accomplish in the field. I think some of you here lack the imagination and the desire to push beyond the entertainment value of iPad Pros and be innovative. The status quo is just fine for you. But it is not fine with me. Apple has finally produce a fairly powerful iPad as far as hardware goes, but the OS simply won't allow it to be implemented easily into a work environment. It is as though someone put a rusty old Yugo engine in a Ferrari. It might look good with the hood closed, but it isn't going to perform very well on a race track or even a city street.
You don't have to be a fanboy to point out that spending an hour trying to make something work when you have another device that you can do the job in 5 minutes is a pretty big clue that you choose the wrong tool. I know photographers who use an iPad to view pictures, but they don't spend an hour trying to do it. My sister, who is a professional photographer, uses a windows laptop rather than her iPad.

For someone who is suppose to be just an Apple fanboy, I've spent a lot of time complaining on this forum about the direction Apple is going. Over the last several years, I think that Apple has lost their direction, has lost some of their customer focus. Some of that is that I'm probably not part of their target audience, some of that is that they don't seem to be as focused on getting the little details right.

People have different views on how things should be done. Just because someone disagrees with your take, doesn't make then a fanboy. Heck, it doesn't even make them wrong. I have complained a lot about how Apple does audiobooks and the primitive nature of library management on various eReaders, but I also recognize that I'm somewhat of an outlier with regard to how I consume audiobooks and my desire to manage my full library on my eBook reader.

Last edited by pwalker8; 05-31-2021 at 08:47 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #34
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Power consumption and thermals. The M1 is basically the A14 with slightly higher peak clock rate, 2 more high power/performance cores, 4 more GPU cores and double the memory lanes. The M architecture is based on A architecture, not the other way around.

Really, the M1 is pretty much what the A14X would’ve been but branded differently probably partly so it doesn’t offend the Mac users to know the new Macs are getting an iPad chip. Indeed, because of the change in branding, they can now boast that the latest iPad Pro is getting a Mac chip.
Thanks for the correction.

WWDC is probably not where we’ll find out about what the forthcoming iPhones will have in them, and what Apple will be calling them. Whatever it is, it has to run faster than the A14 Bionic, and to the extent that ‘M1’ has come to mean ‘much faster than A14’, it might be that Apple will not call it ‘A15’, but rather ‘M something’.

On the ‘iPadOS isn’t Pro enough for Pros’ topic, I agree, some things about iPadOS is holding it back. Photoshop still hasn’t met expectations 2 years after the WWDC demo, Apple hasn’t shipped Final Cut for iPadOS, etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #35
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
WWDC is probably not where we’ll find out about what the forthcoming iPhones will have in them, and what Apple will be calling them. Whatever it is, it has to run faster than the A14 Bionic, and to the extent that ‘M1’ has come to mean ‘much faster than A14’, it might be that Apple will not call it ‘A15’, but rather ‘M something’.
Practical use, you won't notice a speed difference between the A14 and M1 for most tasks. Even on benchmarks, single-core performance is extremely close between the two (6% difference).

Video editing and high-end gaming, sure the M1 would pull ahead but I don't do those.

Higher RAM on the 2021 Pro does mean fewer reloads, though.

I'm wishing for something similar to Samsung Dex mode on WWDC.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #36
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
One day out. Not a huge rumor mill about what new things will come out. The expectation seems to be that the announced version of the various OS's will be mostly internal improvements and performance improvements rather than new features.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote