Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
dotaki
dotaki began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Kobo Mini keeps freezing

Hello!
I have a kobo mini and it's screen kept freezing after 30 seconds or a minute.
I changed the microSD card (thanks for the image David) and it started working again I set it up from scratch it worked perfectly for another 2 minutes then started freezing again. Now it sometimes it freezes even when I don't tap on the screen.
Is there something I can do or something that I should check so it keeps working properly?
Thank you for your time.
dotaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Maybe it's a problem with the screen. You could get a replacement and see if that works...?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotaki View Post
Hello!
I have a kobo mini and it's screen kept freezing after 30 seconds or a minute.
I changed the microSD card (thanks for the image David) and it started working again I set it up from scratch it worked perfectly for another 2 minutes then started freezing again. Now it sometimes it freezes even when I don't tap on the screen.
Is there something I can do or something that I should check so it keeps working properly?
The only time I have seen something like that it was a failing SD card in my Glo. Was the card a new one? Or recycled from elsewhere? And what size? You can use larger than whatever was in it (can't remember if the Mini had 2GB or 4GB) but there could be a problem with larger cards. From memory, there were no problems with 16GB cards, but, some 32GB cards caused problems.

You should also try a factory reset. This seems to fix some strange issues after restoring the image. I'm not sure why, but, it probably cleans things up. It does reformat the partitions, so maybe it is the file system layout on the card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:37 AM   #4
dotaki

Hello and thank you for your replies!

Unfortunately now it turns on (the light becomes green) it the screen doesn't so anything. Also it does that only when the usb cable is on. It's the same thing as if it doesn't even boot.

I tried what you mentioned I had a factory reset and set it up again with the kobo computer app and after that what I wrote above happened. The microSD is 16gb one.

Last edited by dotaki; 09-09-2020 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:28 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has the screen stopped working since the earlier posts? A factory reset shouldn't have caused that. Have you checked the cables for the screen?

Similarly for the battery. If it only works when plugged in, that suggests either the battery is dead, or has been disconnected. The Mini is old enough that the capacity of the battery would be low and very possibly not holding any charge at all.
Advert
Old 09-09-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
dotaki

The screen doesn't show anything at the start, it goes black then white while the device turns on.
Maybe the battery is the problem I don't know.
Yesterday while I did a factory reset it didn't freeze and it took a bit for the setup. It seems that it froze after the setup and the software upgrade through the computer
But I guess we won't know because now it doesn't start..
Old 09-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Maybe it's something to do with one of the books. Also, install the latest firmware and see how that goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #8
dotaki

It doesn't even turn on so...
Thank you very much for your help though!
Old 09-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Is it turning on at all when plugged in? If they have a flat battery, they usually turn on a couple of minutes after being plugged in. I have a Touch like that. One problem is that it doesn't update the firmware or books as it can't run when not plugged in.

And, it is worthwhile to just leave it plugged in for a day or so. There have been lots of reports of devices not powering on, but, suddenly come to life after a day on charge.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #10
dotaki

Okay then! I want to try and fix it because it seems to me that it's not a mechanical problem in any of it's parts but a firmware one. Because it starts freezing after the setup and after the update.
So I'm going to let it charge for a day and any advice is welcome!
Thank you very much for your time!
Old 09-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only thing I can think of is maybe there i something not right with the internal SD card reader.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #12
dotaki

I changed it's original microSD because it froze and it worked with the new one but the it started freezing again
Old 09-11-2020, 12:40 AM   #13
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Reader, not card.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #14
dotaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Reader, not card.
What do you mean? I burned Kobo Mini's image on a new microSD because I thought is was crashing because of the old SD card
Old 09-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotaki View Post
What do you mean? I burned Kobo Mini's image on a new microSD because I thought is was crashing because of the old SD card
Given that you've put in a new SD card, the problem has to be something with the Mini and not the SD card.