Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #31
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Hrm. I'll have to go back and poke around my store on Tuesday. Those of you that have seen them, does it really have one of those new "bookshelf" cover displays instead of the standard list form?
Yep, it's visual.

Someone else has posted that it's possible to switch it to list view ("text view"), but in the few minutes I had to play with it, I couldn't find it. I mean to go back this weekend and see if I can spend more time with it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #32
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Yep, it's visual.

Someone else has posted that it's possible to switch it to list view ("text view"), but in the few minutes I had to play with it, I couldn't find it. I mean to go back this weekend and see if I can spend more time with it.
In the book list (when you tap "view all"), you can bring up options and tap view to bring up list/icon/etc.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #33
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
My order with SonyStyle.ca has been updated with an estimated shipping date of Sept 10th.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #34
Selcien
Enthusiast
Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
I just checked SonyStyle (US) and they're stilling showing the 3rd for my order.

I can't say that I'm impatient though, rather looking forward to comparing the 350 to my 600, and hoping that I didn't make a mistake in going with the smaller screen.
Selcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcien View Post
I just checked SonyStyle (US) and they're stilling showing the 3rd for my order.

I can't say that I'm impatient though, rather looking forward to comparing the 350 to my 600, and hoping that I didn't make a mistake in going with the smaller screen.
Mine still shows 09/03/2010 as well, which is obviously incorrect since that was two days ago. I don't really expect it to ship until mid-month at earliest.
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #36
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Dammit, I feel like a kid on the night before christmas. Seriously, tomorrow I'm off and have every intention on going to every store in the area to find one.

Maybe I'm going thru PRS withdrawl, but I must have,
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #37
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I have talked to several Sony stores since I live in Canada but will be traveling to the US next week. The Canadian stores around Vancouver do not have any models and say they won't until mid October at earliest. The US stores in WA and OR say that they have display models available to look at, but their "go live" date is Sept 16th. I heard that "go live" term in 3 phone conversations. Must be a marketing thing.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:55 AM   #38
Dan de V
Avid Reader
Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.Dan de V can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: PRS 350 & HTC Legend
If anyone from the UK has managed to read through the thoughts of our American brethren above, I just thought I would add the comments I got after an email inquiry to the Sony Style Store in Reading, UK for when units will be on display and available to buy (I asked about the 350 but I would assume it holds true about the 650 as well):

"The release date for the PRS350/S in our store will be the 17th of September, we will be having the models out on display and ready to demo. We should be getting stock the same time as our demo models come through so pre ordering may not be required however if ordering is required we can take your order through the store."
Dan de V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #39
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
If anyone from the UK has managed to read through the thoughts of our American brethren above, I just thought I would add the comments I got after an email inquiry to the Sony Style Store in Reading, UK for when units will be on display and available to buy (I asked about the 350 but I would assume it holds true about the 650 as well):

"The release date for the PRS350/S in our store will be the 17th of September, we will be having the models out on display and ready to demo. We should be getting stock the same time as our demo models come through so pre ordering may not be required however if ordering is required we can take your order through the store."
I'm in the UK, I have just sold my 600 and 505 with the intention of getting another Kindle (I already have the Wifi version of the K3) but would like to see the 650 before I make a decision so I intend to ring John Lewis later, which is where I got my 600 from, to see when they will have the new models in stock. Assuming I get someone who can answer the question I will post back with what they say
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #40
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The SonyStyle Store on PGA Blvd in Palm Beach Gardens, FL has them in stock.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #41
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Did you buy one??? How about some box opening pics? First impressions?

Andrew
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #42
jaxx6166
Wizard

I'm really tempted to go grab a 650 today, but I'm trying to go back thru the threads to where we were discussing the trade in values through the SonyStyle store and a possible $50 trade in "bonus credit" when you trade in old electronics, but ive been searching the threads for like an hour and have no luck..

The Nook returned like a $43 trade in and then someone mentioned their store gave them an extra $50 for trading in an older unit. Which would be around 50% of the price

If I can unload that and my never-used VaioP netbook, it would be perfect...

FINALLY! After an hour and a half of searching, I found it. It was in reference to a $60 recycling rebate on the old PRS500, back when they were also doing a $50 trade in. Probably not going to work with a nook.

But, hell, I tried. Now it's off to go get gadgetlust.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 09-07-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #43
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
I went to the SonyStyle store in Manhattan over the weekend to look at the new 350/650 models. Unfortunately some prankster has "password-locked" all the new models and nobody in the store knows how to bypass the password and "unlock" them.

Still, from the limited testing I was able to do, I can confirm that the new Pearl touch-screen display is excellent, and looks much better than all the older Sony models, even the 505.
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #44
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
I'm really tempted to go grab a 650 today, but I'm trying to go back thru the threads to where we were discussing the trade in values through the SonyStyle store and a possible $50 trade in "bonus credit" when you trade in old electronics, but ive been searching the threads for like an hour and have no luck..

The Nook returned like a $43 trade in and then someone mentioned their store gave them an extra $50 for trading in an older unit. Which would be around 50% of the price

If I can unload that and my never-used VaioP netbook, it would be perfect...

FINALLY! After an hour and a half of searching, I found it. It was in reference to a $60 recycling rebate on the old PRS500, back when they were also doing a $50 trade in. Probably not going to work with a nook.

But, hell, I tried. Now it's off to go get gadgetlust.
Please report back as soon as possible. If they really do have them in stock, and are really selling them, this is very hopeful. Maybe the other stores will also get their stock sooner than expected.

Andrew
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #45
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Are you sure they actually have them for sale or do they only have the display models. I called the SonyStyle Store in Dallas and they only have display models and they have no idea when they will get the sales models in. The salesperson even told me he didn't have any specs on the new models yet. I guess he doesn't know how to use the internet.

Four days after the fact, my online order still shows a 09/03/2010 shipping date, so apparently the online store is clueless as well.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-07-2010 at 02:59 PM.