Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
ShuBook and Calibre's OPDS questions

Hi!

I've been trying to learn a few things while researching different ereaders and reader software. Currently, I'm using ShuBook and it's been working great. I was reading in their help files about using Calibre's OPDS so I followed the directions and have it loading.. and loading and loading..... LOLOL

Okay, I have just over 1000 ebooks in Calibre and the OPDS has been loading for almost 30 minutes!!! Is it really supposed to take this long? My network is working just fine.

This just looked like an easy way to get my ebooks from my PC onto the iPhone but I can't tell if the program is stalled or it is just taking ages due to the number of books I have in Calibre. Loading is on the screen and the little circle to the left of that word is spinning around.

Anyone have any ideas??
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
This is probably an issue with Bonjour. Try adding the Calibre content server manually as described at the very end of their page (http://www.ambibma.com/en/custom_calibre.html).

I'm running a Calibre content server on a private server on the net (e. g. *not* on my home network), serving about 5000 ebooks. Loading the catalogue is at least as fast as Stanza did it - a matter of a second or two.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
The best way is to use Calibre2OPDS in conjunction with Dropbox. Then all your files and catalogs are available anywhere you have internet connectivity. It works great.

http://calibre2opds.com/

Dropbox here:
http://db.tt/kfvGq3n

The dropbox link is a referral link that will get you and me both extra free space.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Philantrop, thank you for the suggestion. I added the content server manually and it worked great. Loaded super fast. Surprisingly enough, once I got it to load manually, the auto version started working as well.

Does Calibre have to be OPEN on my computer for this to work? I don't always have Calibre open.

Edbro, thank you for the suggestion of putting it in DropBox. That would make my catelog available from anywhere I have wifi access. I will have to see how much space my Calibre opds will take since I only have the free DropBox account. LOL I need more friends to get their free account from a link from me!!!!!

How do I find my opds on my computer so I can see how big it is? Does that link you posted tell you where to tell Calibre the new opds is located if/when I move it to my dropbox account?

Please, if anyone would like the free cloud storage, use my link http://db.tt/L135c2pO and we both will get additional storage space!
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Does Calibre have to be OPEN on my computer for this to work? I don't always have Calibre open.
If you want to use the server... then yes, Calibre must be open. That is, the server isnt on if Calibre isnt open. However if you use dropbox instead, you don't need it to be open on your computer.

Quote:
How do I find my opds on my computer so I can see how big it is? Does that link you posted tell you where to tell Calibre the new opds is located if/when I move it to my dropbox account?
Do NOT do anything to the contents of your computer's book store or catalog. Thats what Calibre is there for... to manage it.

If you want the entire catalog in your dropbox, you must create it with Calibre2OPDS and there is information about how to do that elsewhere in the forum (probably in the Calibre forum)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-11-2012 at 01:33 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert