Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
isis
Enthusiast
isis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony, Elonex, Imagin
Mobi Conversion

Hi
I recently bought some ebooks on a disc, they were all in mobi format but I have obviously pressed a wrong key somewhere and now all the books are in PDF format.

Does anyone know how I can put them back to mobi format without using Calibre please?

I bought the books because I have just bought my partner a Kindle touch for xmas and I wanted him to have some books to read straight away .

Many thanks
isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ah... the old poof!-all-my-mobis-became-pdfs gnomes have been at it again? I thought we took care of them last time.

I suspect you may be looking at the disk's file contents though some kind of filter, and that all the mobis are still there (somewhere). Only because what you're describing seems pretty impossible, really. Mainly because A) the cd (if that's what you meant by "disk") is read-only, and B) I know of nothing that can perform the miraculous conversion of a read-only disk-full of mobi files to PDF (destroying the originals in the process) with a single button-click.

Quote:
I bought the books because I have just bought my partner a Kindle touch for xmas and I wanted him to have some books to read straight away.
Then you still have considerable time to work this out.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
isis
Enthusiast

Hello DiapDealer,

Thank you so much, extremely helpful indeed!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Could you clarify a point for me. Is the disk a CD-ROM or similar? That is, a shiny silver (or possibly gold) disk about 12cm in diameter?

If so, and there were Mobipocket format books on that disk, then there still are Mobipocket format books on that disk.

Start again at the top level of the disk, and check the folders on the disk carefully. I suspect that there's one folder marked "Kindle" or "Mobipocket" and another marked "PDF", and you've just been looking in the wrong folder.

BTW, if the books on the disk aren't public domain books, you've almost certainly bought a disk of pirated ebooks.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
isis
Enthusiast

Hi Paul
I have sorted it out now thank you

It was a CD-ROM yes.

Also all the books are in the public domain, I just wanted all the Classics on one disc for him.

Thank you for helping me
Advert