Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
readers I can email documents to besides Kindle?

My 2-year-old kindle's screen broke a few weeks back. Since I bought the Kindle, I've found that the ability to email books to it is a must have for me. I may get one of the new Kindles to replace the old one, but I am open to other ereader options, if they have a comparable system that lets me easily load files through the internet.

So, do any of the others have something similar?
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
None of them can do it except the Kindle. The exception being if you root a Sony or Nook and use Dropbox or Sugarsync. The you can put files on your device wirelessly.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
kingduct
Enthusiast

Yes, something along those lines had occurred to me, but I am not interested in rooting something as basic as an e-ink ereader. It sounds like no company besides Amazon has set up something of this sort, for whatever reason. Being able to set up Calibre to email me the newspaper every day is a must-have for me. Now, if a competitor had a Dropbox-like service built-in, that might work, but it sounds like they don't.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I don't think any competitor has that sort of service built in. I also use Calibre to email news and blogs to my Kindle daily. I would hate to give that up! My K3/3G is on a secondary account, where I have mostly personal docs and where I get my news delivered. My new paperwhite is on my Prime account, for now. Can't wait to see how it works with my large archive! But not sure that the AP news blog I get from Amazon will work on the PW. When I checked the other day, it didn't seem to. So I'll keep getting that send to my K3.

Another really nice thing about using Amazon, is the Send to Kindle feature on my computer. If I just want to send a document to my archive, I can do that/ Then when I am ready for it, I can d/l it to my Kindle from anywhere over the wifi or the 3G.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've got the Sony PRS-T1, unrooted and I use Dropbox for my books. I open the browser to the Dropbox page, the browser does keep me logged in. I choose which book I want to download, click on the tiny epub link on the book and it automatically downloads it to my reader. I have my reader set to store downloads internally.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Good to know, curly! I had my T1 rooted, but I recently un-rooted it. I had tried using dropbox to load files initially, but found I MUCH prefer to load my Sony via Calibre. That way the reader "sees" it correctly, plus my series data appears the way I want it to. And since a T1 can hold thousands of files without slowing down or crashing, I have no need to get anything wirelessly.

But for when I am lazy, it's easiest to send a document wirelessly to my Kindle. Can't wait for the paperwhite!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
kingduct
Enthusiast

So the T1 has a web browser and that's how you get to the file? So, it means you don't have to physically connect the device, but you still have to actively use it to download the file (with the Kindle I just turn on the wireless and the file downloads automatically).

Still, this is good info to know -- I'll have to research the T1 a bit.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
With the T1 you can download library books directly to your reader through the browser. I use Calibre to add books to it by pointing the browser to the Calibre server's URL. No need to connect if you have wifi.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
kingduct
Enthusiast

I looked into the Sony T2 (the recently released followup to the T1). It sounds pretty good, but I'm having a tough time figuring out why I would choose it over a Kindle.

That said, you basically answered my question, which is that there is a decent system for getting books straight to a Sony T2. Now, if only it had a lit screen!

Of course, if the "Paperwhite" screen turns out to be crap, perhaps I'll wish I had bought a Sony.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
wouldn't any reader supporting a browser do? With my Pocketbook 903 I can either connect to the Calibre server and donwload the books I want, or access dropbox with the internet browser and download the books I want (from the Calibre library which is in sink with Dropbox), or email me a dropbox link to the book I need.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
wouldn't any reader supporting a browser do? With my Pocketbook 903 I can either connect to the Calibre server and donwload the books I want, or access dropbox with the internet browser and download the books I want (from the Calibre library which is in sink with Dropbox), or email me a dropbox link to the book I need.
With the Kindle, it really is as simple as attaching the book to an email, hitting send, and then turning on your reader--the book is delivered directly to your Kindle. Not only is it delivered directly to the specific Kindle that you send it to, it also goes into your archives on Amazon's servers so that you can pull it down onto any other device that is attached to your account. It's one of the nicest features of the Kindle, IMO.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
With the Kindle, it really is as simple as attaching the book to an email, hitting send, and then turning on your reader--the book is delivered directly to your Kindle. Not only is it delivered directly to the specific Kindle that you send it to, it also goes into your archives on Amazon's servers so that you can pull it down onto any other device that is attached to your account. It's one of the nicest features of the Kindle, IMO.

Shari
thanks, I did not know that - however with Dropbox you don't even have to email anything, in the sense that a book on your computer would be automatically loaded "on the cloud", and then you can simply download it with your browser. But it won't work the other way around, i.e. a book downloaded on your device won't be uploaded automatically to the cloud.

It could be that Kobo and Sony synchronise books between the device and your Kobo or SOny library, but I am not sure. I wouldn't be surprised though if Kindle is the most efficinet at syncing. Kobo does not seem to be able to sync sideloaded books, though I could be wrong.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote