Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse 8 15.09%
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurk Vonnegut 22 41.51%
Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres 2 3.77%
The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton 6 11.32%
Life of Pi by Yann Marte 2 3.77%
Ask the Dust (1939) by John Fante 0 0%
The Help by Kathryn Stockett 6 11.32%
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh 3 5.66%
The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer 0 0%
Hounded by Kevin Hearne 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #31
singlespeed20
eNewb
singlespeed20 began at the beginning.

Device: Skytex Primer 7
I'm brand new to this site and eReaders. I just got my hands on a Skytex Primer and I'm certainly liking it...especially since the book I had been carrying around was Anathem and weighed a ton compared to this little gadget.

So when do you all read Slaughterhouse-five and then return to discuss it?
singlespeed20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed20 View Post
I'm brand new to this site and eReaders. I just got my hands on a Skytex Primer and I'm certainly liking it...especially since the book I had been carrying around was Anathem and weighed a ton compared to this little gadget.

So when do you all read Slaughterhouse-five and then return to discuss it?
Welcome to the MobilRead Book Club!

You can start reading at anytime. We will start the discussion thread for this book on August 20th. You do not have to be finished by the 20th, however, as people visit the discussion thread at their convenience.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
For a book I nominated!

( Too bad we don't have a patting myself on the back emoticon. )
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #34
singlespeed20
eNewb
singlespeed20 began at the beginning.

Device: Skytex Primer 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Welcome to the MobilRead Book Club!

You can start reading at anytime. We will start the discussion thread for this book on August 20th. You do not have to be finished by the 20th, however, as people visit the discussion thread at their convenience.
Okay, cool
Thanks Nyssa!
singlespeed20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #35
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
I voted for the one I nominated, Slaughterhouse Five. I've been wanting to read that historical/sci-fi novel for some time and, from what I hear, it's perhaps Vonnegut's finest work.
I found Breakfast of Champions to be funnier.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #36
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Breakfast is indeed funny. I'm trying to decide if I'm heading to the library for a re-read, but I think I have too many things in the want to read pile.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I found the first third of Slaughterhouse to be a bit confusing, but I'm beginning to get a handle on it now. Nevertheless, to make sure I'm fully up to speed I bought the audiobook, and after I'm finished with the ebook edition, I'll give it a listen to see how it fares in that format.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found the first third of Slaughterhouse to be a bit confusing, but I'm beginning to get a handle on it now. Nevertheless, to make sure I'm fully up to speed I bought the audiobook, and after I'm finished with the ebook edition, I'll give it a listen to see how it fares in that format.
Slow.

That's what I think of audiobooks. I find that to really get the story, you have to pay closer attention then you do to actually reading. And you have to have quiet other then the story being read.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #39
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'm listening to the audiobook read by Ethan Hawke since I've already read the book a couple of times and watched the movie too.

YouTube has a 5 minute snippet from the first chapter.

It's from before the story proper with Billy Pilgrim gets started so there are no real spoilers.

Last edited by BenG; 08-08-2011 at 02:14 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #40
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There's a movie? That would have been strange.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #41
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
There's a movie? That would have been strange.
Oh yes, there's a movie. I saw it back in the early 70's. Don't remeber much of it except that I did like it a lot back then. I was in my teens and that's part of the reason I want to read the book now and see how I like that. Now that It's a lot of years since I was teen. A lot of years...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I just noticed that everyone reading the August winning eBook is reading the wrong book by the wrong author. You should be reading the winning eBook by the author Kurk Vonnegut. The book written by Kurt Vonnegut did not win. Sorry I did not notice this earlier before some have wasted their time reading the wrong eBook.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just noticed that everyone reading the August winning eBook is reading the wrong book by the wrong author. You should be reading the winning eBook by the author Kurk Vonnegut. The book written by Kurt Vonnegut did not win. Sorry I did not notice this earlier before some have wasted their time reading the wrong eBook.
Drat! Now we'll all have to start from scratch, and the discussion thread is days away. Does anyone know where books by Kurk Vonnegut can be purchased?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #44
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Turk what?
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #45
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Does anyone know where books by Kurk Vonnegut can be purchased?
On the shelf in Bawders right next to books by Awful C Clarke.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote