Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #61
proDOOMman
Enthusiast
proDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Let me introduce new version of Mangle. This release has many usefull features, as is:
  • multithreading
  • support of cbz and zip formats
  • margin auto crop
  • split album pages
  • settings preview
  • easy-to-understand GUI
and so on
Also program can download manga, but for now only two russian sites supported
Downloads for Ubuntu and windows here: https://github.com/proDOOMman/Mangle/downloads. Other OS are supported too, but binary packages for them not avaliable for now
proDOOMman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #62
mobad
Enthusiast
mobad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
https://github.com/proDOOMman/Mangle...angle/image.py

This is a bug from the original Mangle that I emailed the creator about but he never replied.

The Kindle 3 (possibly the DXG as well) is using the Kindle 2 colour map which only has 15 colours (missing #EEEEEE)
That should make the dithering look much nicer.

BTW a new version of Canti is out which fixes a few bugs http://www.bitcake.com/?page=project_canti
Make sure you install ImageMagick before trying Canti.
Canti has all of the features of Mangize and Mangle (well minus a good GUI) and more.
You can basically give it an entire zipped series and it will automatically convert it and name each volume like Blah_-_v##_c###-###.cbz/pdf/folders
mobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #63
proDOOMman
Enthusiast
proDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheese

mobad, thank you for report. This bug is already fixed in new 2.4.2 version.
May be Canti has more features than Mangle, but there is two important difference in them: GUI and license. I prefer FOSS and good GUI
Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #64
goombi
goombi began at the beginning.

Is there a mac version for any of the current versions?

I tried the three links on the first post and they all extracted as .exe's.

Thanks!
goombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #65
proDOOMman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombi View Post
Is there a mac version for any of the current versions?

I tried the three links on the first post and they all extracted as .exe's.

Thanks!
On MacOS X you can use Canti or Mangle. Other converters is win-only
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #66
goombi
goombi began at the beginning.

Thanks! Will try out Canti since it has features closest to this one.
goombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #67
loltun
Jedi Book Worm
loltun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, RCA REB-1100, Augen The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by proDOOMman View Post
Let me introduce new version of Mangle. This release has many usefull features, as is:
  • multithreading
  • support of cbz and zip formats
  • margin auto crop
  • split album pages
  • settings preview
  • easy-to-understand GUI
and so on
Also program can download manga, but for now only two russian sites supported
Downloads for Ubuntu and windows here: https://github.com/proDOOMman/Mangle/downloads. Other OS are supported too, but binary packages for them not avaliable for now
Thank you proDOOMman!
This version works better for me.
loltun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #68
Hwerrell
Hwerrell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch SO
I've been looking for something to convert PNGs to Kindle, and this seems great, but whenever I try to convert a directory it says, "TODO: <File description> has stopped working." What am I doing wrong?
Hwerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #69
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Does this program support splitting the images?

I just used this program and the output files changed from jpg to png. How to have jpg output?

I used mangle but I get better result by just zipping pictures and loading them on Kindle. They gray was way better. I'd really like something to make it easier on the eyes. Since the smaller text is painful to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Indeed a definitely better Manga converter Honf. Thanks.

But scans of full size comic books (larger than the typical Manga) are still too small to read comfortably on the Kindle3 screen. Have you considered something like https://launchpad.net/comicstrip to extract each frame of a page and create individual .pngs? Resizing then each frame to the Kindle screen size would much enhance readability.
Downloaded this one, but all files are without any extension so not sure how it can work. I have Windows 7. Any other programs like this?

Last edited by Noughty; 12-02-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #70
naxa
naxa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I am interested in the source code of mangize. I like it but would like to do some adjustments for myself. I've read that you would release it once you added some more features. Shall it happen, I am interested in the source even without them.

Thank you for this great program, I use it a lot (with nconvert)!
naxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #71
alvareo
Enthusiast
alvareo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwerrell View Post
I've been looking for something to convert PNGs to Kindle, and this seems great, but whenever I try to convert a directory it says, "TODO: <File description> has stopped working." What am I doing wrong?
Same here, but with JPG
alvareo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #72
demonseye316
demonseye316 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
unfortunately for Mangize there's no image viewer on kindle touch and mangai is not a freeware... going back to mangle and calibre.

Last edited by demonseye316; 01-25-2012 at 08:29 AM.
demonseye316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #73
DumbledoreMD
DumbledoreMD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch

Anything for the kindle touch manga (as it doesn't support cbz, as i heard)?
DumbledoreMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #74
alvareo
Enthusiast
alvareo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbledoreMD View Post
Anything for the kindle touch manga (as it doesn't support cbz, as i heard)?
You convert it to Mobi on calibre and send it to your Kindle!
alvareo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #75
naxa
naxa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvareo View Post
Same here, but with JPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwerrell View Post

This can be avoided if the input/source images are in grayscale.

I use XnView to batch-convert them; or more often a command line tool from xnview team called "nconvert.exe", like this:

Code:
nconvert.exe -grey 256 -overwrite *.jpg
This would convert all jpg images to grayscale by overwriting them.
So don't forget to back up your original images first!
(Note: I recommend nconvert only for users already familiar with the command line, or else doing a quick tutorial on command line first, before trying to use it. For the rest of the users I recommend doing it with XnView's batch conversion feature.)

It seems that mangize has a trouble with working on non-grayscale images sometimes. I used to get this very same error; since then, I pre-convert my source images to grayscale before starting to work with mangize, it started working again.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by naxa; 01-27-2012 at 04:33 AM.
naxa is offline   Reply With Quote