Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Mobi question

I got the Discworld books off Fictionwise in .lit. I used Convert Lit to make them HTML, then used MobiPocket Creator to make them Mobi's. So far so good. However, when I read them, the first two or three footnotes are borked and give me footnotes from the back of the book. Pretty much on each of them.

1) What did I do wrong?

2) How do I fix it? Preferably without command line programs, because that stuff scares the bejeezus outta me. (Think Flying Monkeys.)

'K Thnx.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
How are you making them into Mobipocket? Are you working from the OPF file, or the HTML? You should be working from the OPF file.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I got the Discworld books off Fictionwise in .lit. I used Convert Lit to make them HTML, then used MobiPocket Creator to make them Mobi's. So far so good. However, when I read them, the first two or three footnotes are borked and give me footnotes from the back of the book. Pretty much on each of them.

1) What did I do wrong?

2) How do I fix it? Preferably without command line programs, because that stuff scares the bejeezus outta me. (Think Flying Monkeys.)

'K Thnx.
Hi shrink

It might well be the intermediate html that f...s up your code. Could be that the links in the lits were relative, the conversion having turned them absolute. That happens sometimes. The only real solution is handy work, checking those footnotes one by one in the html, I'm afraid.

Does it help you a lot when I'm saying that I have been through that more than once?

Ok, thought not.

Have fun anyway!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
How are you making them into Mobipocket? Are you working from the OPF file, or the HTML? You should be working from the OPF file.
I've been using the HTML. OPF would do the whole keeping track of footnote links better?

Just looked at MPC and there is not an option for OPF, just HTML, MS Word, Adobe PDF, and Text.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Hi shrink

It might well be the intermediate html that f...s up your code. Could be that the links in the lits were relative, the conversion having turned them absolute. That happens sometimes. The only real solution is handy work, checking those footnotes one by one in the html, I'm afraid.

Does it help you a lot when I'm saying that I have been through that more than once?

Ok, thought not.

Have fun anyway!
Assume I am a moron. Which is not a long march when it comes to this sort of thing. How do I hand-check?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I've been using the HTML. OPF would do the whole keeping track of footnote links better?

Just looked at MPC and there is not an option for OPF, just HTML, MS Word, Adobe PDF, and Text.
When I convert from LIT, I double click on the OPF file. That usually causes MobiCreator to open, and all the necessary parts should be imported automatically.

The links might still be boinked up, but this might fix them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

OPF opens your Creator directly but won't save you in the present case, I'm afraid
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The links might still be boinked up, but this might fix them.
Not so, I'm afraid
Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, but it puts all the files into the correct order, sets up the metadata, the "Guide Items", etc etc.

Quote:
Just double click the ".opf" file. It will automatically open in Mobi Creator. The Mobi Creator "GUI" is just a "graphical shell" for editing an "opf" file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator

Am I invisible or just lagging?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
That's a long-standing bug in ConvertLIT. It will incorrectly reconstitute links to items which share a prefix in their OPF item ids.

The solution is to use ConvertLIT to de-DRM, then use Calibre to extract and/or convert.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Am I invisible or just lagging?
Did someone just say something?

Trying to digest all this. So the opf is a native function of the MPC. Got it. When i get to the computer with the files on it, I'll give that a try ans ee what happens. Thanks!