Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
BruceDC
BruceDC began at the beginning.

Device: iPad air 2
Red face Is there a maximum number of libraries.

There seems to be a maximum of 3 calibre libraries in the switch library list. Is there a way I can manage more than 4 libraries?
BruceDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is just the (Quick) switch list
Just use the Use Existing item in the Maintenance menu
I thought the 'Quick' was limited to the Last 3, but further down, was more (10). Ain't so on my 2.44 (w10X64)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I thought the 'Quick' was limited to the Last 3, but further down, was more (10). Ain't so on my 2.44 (w10X64)
Well, I've got 22 libraries in my Quick switch, and I was sure there was an entry in Preferences to set that, but I'm not finding anything. But, definitely more than 3.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Well, I've got 22 libraries in my Quick switch, and I was sure there was an entry in Preferences to set that, but I'm not finding anything. But, definitely more than 3.
I wonder if your existing list is grand fathered.
I just added a 4th Library today, and an old one spooled off the list
Old 11-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no limit to the number of libraries you can manage. Only five most used libraries are shown at the bottom of the menu you get when you click the calibre button, but all of them are listed in the Quick Switch sub-menu.

EDIT: Well technically, not all, but a maximum number that is controlled by a tweak in Preferences->Tweaks. If your number of libraries is larger than the value of this tweak then the quick switch sub-menu becomes sorted alphabetically instead of by usage frequency.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-21-2015 at 07:16 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I musta moved one (seldom used), and it self cleaned. I added it back and Now there are 4
Old 11-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
EDIT: Well technically, not all, but a maximum number that is controlled by a tweak in Preferences->Tweaks. If your number of libraries is larger than the value of this tweak then the quick switch sub-menu becomes sorted alphabetically instead of by usage frequency.
Ok... I knew I tweaked something. Default is 10. Mine is set to 25.

Preferences->Tweak->Sort the list of libraries alphabetically
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 AM   #8
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is no limit to the number of libraries you can manage. Only five most used libraries are shown at the bottom of the menu you get when you click the calibre button, but all of them are listed in the Quick Switch sub-menu.

Is there also some tweak to change the maximum of five libraries in the menu of the calibre button? I looked at the tweaks and at other preferences but did not see any option.
AS I constantly change libraries to search for stuff, it would improve my workflow if there could be a few more in the main list, instead of having to go to the quick switch time and again.

Capricorn
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No I'm afraid this is not something I am interested in adding.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
AS I constantly change libraries to search for stuff, it would improve my workflow if there could be a few more in the main list, instead of having to go to the quick switch time and again.

Capricorn
My way around the problem of searching multiple libraries looking for something may not be any easier for you, but here it is. I have a main calibre library where everything is added. I then move the item (without deleting from the main library) to the library I want to hold it. Then in the main library I remove the format from the item and add to tags the name of the library where the actual item resides. This puts the work on the front end after adding instead of on the back end when you are looking.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:54 AM   #11
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Peaceridge: Thanks for the suggestion. However, it would not really reduce the amount of work, and as I do different operations on different libraries, it would not help efficiency.

Kovid: I thought I would just ask. There MIGHT have been a chance you would change the number. Thanks for considering my request.

Capricorn
Old 12-13-2017, 05:18 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Capricorn - firstly I don't use the mouse unless I have to, so this is what I do to switch libraries, which I do quite a lot.

I have Select Library at the top of my book list context menu, so I tap the menu key, and then use arrow keys to navigate to the required library and press enter - only suitable for mouse averse context menu lovers

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	160605

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:50 AM   #13
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites

@Betterred: Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated. However, I do love my mouse (not as much as my cats used to love mice. They have died now unfortunately. Not the mice, but the cats!). And I use it constantly.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:49 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Capricorn - firstly I don't use the mouse unless I have to, so this is what I do to switch libraries, which I do quite a lot.

I have Select Library at the top of my book list context menu, so I tap the menu key, and then use arrow keys to navigate to the required library and press enter - only suitable for mouse averse context menu lovers

Attachment 160605

BR
Thank you very much, I hadn't thought about this but can be very useful.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, libraary management