Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshlyBakedPies View Post
I've been buying ebooks for a few months now, I really like just having any novel I want almost instantly. But reading on my notebook is not very enjoyable, and also makes my lap warm.

I've been reading and watching reviews, even demo'd a few at a local place, the past of few weeks, but I still can't decide between Glo and the PW.
  • The Glo, big fan of the new firmware with the Aura-like menu. Lots of customization, seems to handle PDFs more to my liking. More formats, mainly epub/cbr support.Not too fond of the large header and footer. Potentially buggy, Kobo customer service poorly rated but I have no personal experience. It's $30 cheaper at ~ $115
  • The Paperwhite.. (with no way to try out one, this is all based on a lot of videos from Youtube.) Seems more responsive, better highlightning. Less customization, locked to mobi, no Canadian libraries (yet?) Can't say whether the uneven light will bother me, hard to tell from videos and pictures. Amazon support supposedly better, but again no personal experience. ~$145

So that seems quite harsh on the Kindle, but I don't know, a lot of appeal for me is just Amazon. They're huge, it's the one everyone talks about (even my 92 year old grandfather), it's gotta be good. But that comes with a premium, hence my dilemna.

I was originally planning to get something much less expensive, as I was worried about the failure rates of these things. But I don't know.. enjoying my ereader for a year or being unhappy for three or four.

The mini is just adorable, and it reads fine, but it's hard to know if the small screen will become a problem for me during a several hour reading session. ~$50

The touch feels a bit slow, and to me seems like it has less contrast. To be fair it is two years old. Very reasonably priced, however. ~$80
Had the Paperwhite for a week, hated the uneven lighting, returned it and got the Aura. Love it. This was my first ereader purchase.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Well there are many different pockets, aren't there.
When it rains, I leave my bag at home and stuff everything in my raincoat pockets. The one for the Mini is at the same height as my upper-arms so I can't seat on it, I can't clap (best word I could find, sorry) it on a door or a desk. The rain never gets inside and I still can read during my commute

Did I mention that I love my Mini?
It#s still more at risk in a pocket then a bag. If it's raining out, can put my Reader in a Zip-Lock bag and put it in my bag which I them have under my coat. So even if for some reason, the inside of my bag gets wet, the Reader will still be safe and dry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Amazon are pretty good with returns so you could order a Paperwhite and try it out for a week to compare it with the Glo and then make your decision?
If library eBook borrowing is a big enough deal, then my suggestion is for a Reader that uses ePub. Amazon won't do any good for library eBook borrowing in Canada.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
I don't put mine in a pocket, but "pocketable" can also mean easy to put into a purse, with a protective case... which is what I do! And besides, I'm pretty careful with my eReaders.
I'm pretty careful as well. I'm glad pocket-able was not what I took it to mean.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #20
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It#s still more at risk in a pocket then a bag. If it's raining out, can put my Reader in a Zip-Lock bag and put it in my bag which I them have under my coat. So even if for some reason, the inside of my bag gets wet, the Reader will still be safe and dry.
Has anyone seen this? Better than a plastic bag, if it works. I'd be afraid to try but it sure looks great in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #21
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
I tried the Kobo mini before Christmas, thinking it would be a good replacement for my (old) PRS-505. The bigger Kobo models weren't available at the store (not to mention any other brand).
  • Size: I guess it's ok for most people but I found it annoying to turn the pages so often. Ok, I already thought my 6" reader was too small
  • Pdf: I read fanfictions, which I download as pdf. To read them on a device this small, you need a pdf reflow capability which this device doesn't have. The seller suggested that there are tools which allow you to reflow your pdfs on your computer before exporting them to your device, that might be good enough if you don't read too many pdfs.
  • Touch only: I don't like putting my fingers on the screen and prefer buttons. But that's just me ^^
  • Speed: it was even slower than my PRS-505...
  • Weight: great! twice as light!
  • Others: case isn't flat so it's harder to put it in a bag without it moving around, no case available (in my store), buggy interface...

Given how light new bigger readers are (only 30g more for the new sony) I don't see what the mini has for itself (apart from being "cute")...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansileran View Post
[LIST][*]Size: I guess it's ok for most people but I found it annoying to turn the pages so often.
Just two main thoughts from my perspective:

If you read as slowly as I do, you're not turning pages too often; it's just right for my speed/requirements... I just bought a PRS-650 so that I could try a bigger screen and honestly I don't really notice much difference when I'm immersed in a book. My go-to device is still the Mini, and it fits easily in my small purse.

I don't use the Mini for reading PDF's - that's what my computer is for. So, for my needs again (plain books), it's just right.

So... The Kobo Mini is probably only a "good" device for a specific section of the eReader customer demographic... namely people like me, who don't want to invest the full price into a device because they aren't 100% convinced they'd use it (and maybe weren't ever avid book-readers)... but now, I find reading books much easier and more enjoyable, all thanks to my Mini.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #23
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Ah, I guess I am an avid reader (terribly so) so anything smaller than a pocket book is somewhat annoying. And waiting for the page to turn...

Don't you have trouble finding / sorting your books on the mini ? I had problems with the virtual keyboard (big stuby fingers). But I'll admit, the low weight is amazing (265g for my PRS) and the contrast is better.

What about Kindle's device? It's priced approximately the same and it's flat. Haven't tried one so I can't really compare.
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I carry my mini in my pocket all the time and carried my 350 in my pocket for a year or so.

Not saying anyone else should do it, but I weighed the cost against the convenience and decided not to worry about it. And so far nothing bad has happened. With the mini now selling for under $40 I would just replace it if I have to, but hopefully not. Even at $78 I paid it is not insurmountable. I see people with $500 cell phones in their pockets and they seem fine with that.

Helen

PS I carry my Aura in my pocket at work too .
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote