Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #166
jul_rojas
jul_rojas began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgorav View Post
Hi folks, I was wondering if there's any realistic chance that the people at Onyx might add support for CBR/CBZ in the future for M92?
I do read cbr on a Onyx m92. No changes required. 1.6 fw.
jul_rojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #167
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgorav View Post
Hi folks, I was wondering if there's any realistic chance that the people at Onyx might add support for CBR/CBZ in the future for M92?
I just have tried a CBR book - absolutely no problem to read it on M92.
Works just fine

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-23-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #168
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Is this a natural law or what exactly are trying to say with this statement?
As a customer/user I don't care who develops the software. Without proper software you cannot expect to sell hardware.
I just explained that Onyx will not (most probably) add support for any format by themselves. And explained why.

Corgorav may request the feature wanted on Onyx and hope Onyx will pass it further on to developers of respective freeware. Or may request the feature directly at the developers, which seems to me be more straightforward.

We both have quite different approaches to the world. It seems to me you focus on how things should work and imperfection of real world bugs you. I am not happy with imperfection, but it is everywhere so I prefer to focus on getting things done the optimal way in given circumstances, however harsh they might be.

We go on moaning, that Onyx is small company and its sw is not ergonomic, lacks some features and so on.

Have a look at the forum of mp3 player Sansa Fuze+ developed by SanDisk. SanDisk has not managed to make it work decently even after several years of trials! Freeware firmware RockBox is already in many aspects much better than official one.

Last edited by Mono; 02-23-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #169
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post

We both have quite different approaches to the world. It seems to me you focus on how things should work and imperfection of real world bugs you. I am not happy with imperfection, but it is everywhere so I prefer to focus on getting things done the optimal way in given circumstances, however harsh they might be.

I beg to differ: you did not explain their approach to software development - you simply stated what their attitude was.

As far as philosophy goes: I am a relativist and I enjoy the world in all its imperfectness.

But that does not mean I have to like everything.
Especially not an overpriced product that does only half of what it is supposed to do, a company that is basically incomunicado, where you have to practically beg the shop to act as a mediator, that questions/requests may be "forwarded" and in turn may be answered or rather not, by the shop/mediator.
Where every improvement of software comes along with a new set of problems - of course improved in version 1.7 a,b c,d,e.

You are right in that all judgments depend on expectations.

Sansa, interesting. I heard the new Fuze got pretty bad reviews(Amazon). I use an older Fuze(with the wheel) and the Clip+, mostly for audiobooks. I can't complain, except for the battery consumption.

Rockbox, something like that could help theM92 - I don't use it though. Too many options make things complicated ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #170
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I have Sansa Fuze+ and SanDisk's firmware has several issues that make it very difficult to use it. The only hope is in RockBox firmware...

--------------

I agree that communicating with company via their seller is a bit strange, but to be honest. Did someone try to contact them directly and had bad experience? I do not know. They might communicate quite normally.

Concerning the firmware versions. Last stable is 1.6, the rest is beta or release candidate. 1.6 doesn't have so many bugs, it only needs mainly improvements of ergonomy.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #171
ragasol
ragasol began at the beginning.

Device: onyxboox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer87 View Post
Sorry, I followed the instructions booxtor, but after half an hour has not yet restarted the player, the LED continues to blink, I tried to turn it off but it does not turn of, the screen is that of initial loading, the loading bar is full.
please help.

EDIT:
while holding down the start button I was able to reset it but it kept crashing, so I tried again to update it but it gave me the same result as the last attempt I tried to restart togliando the sd card and now you are not locked.
Thanks to all the same.
I have the same problem. I have tried two different cards with no result.

No idea what to do... Still waiting after an hour...

EDIT: After more than two hours I rebooted the device... It does not restart, and the M92 cannot be switched off.

RAFA

Last edited by ragasol; 02-23-2012 at 05:37 PM.
ragasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #172
Marcela K
Marcela K began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal View Post
Well, after updating to 20120221 i see that the changing layout bug is fixed. However there are still some problems with the turning page button. If you use the area zoom or the two-points zoom the turning page button will not turn page, instead it will scroll from the top to the bottom of the current page but without changing page, not even pulling it several times. So the only way to change pages is to use the bottom bar with the pencil. This does no happen using the hide margin zooming or the other standard zooming tools though.
I can confirm this point about the problem with the turning page button, even after the latest update.
Marcela K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #173
Marcela K
Marcela K began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
Another problem I am dealing with since the beginning: while on the web I am unable to enter search-words in Google, Wikipedia or any other search-function on a website. It simply does not open a keyboard. In most instances, in addition, when entering a homepage, the device just does not react, which means that the the already opened homepage will just remain as it was. All this means, that I am basically unable to use the web. Someone else experiencing this problem?
Marcela K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #174
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am just uploading another update 20120224. The page turning issue when changed to single page mode after zoom was fixed.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #175
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
The most annoying issues for me in current firmware:
- panning for pdfs
- error on opening some pdfs (i gave example, mostly they are scanned books)
- unable to connect to AD-HOC NETWORK (cannot use tethering from Nokia phone)
- sometime it freezes when going to bookmarks in browser

Booxtor, can you tell me if there is some progress at least on the Ad-hoc issue?
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #176
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
The most annoying issues for me in current firmware:
- panning for pdfs
- error on opening some pdfs (i gave example, mostly they are scanned books)
- unable to connect to AD-HOC NETWORK (cannot use tethering from Nokia phone)
- sometime it freezes when going to bookmarks in browser

Booxtor, can you tell me if there is some progress at least on the Ad-hoc issue?
Hi,
- AD-HOC NETWORK is in process
- intellegent two column mode for PDFs is in process

The mentioned PDF Doc couldn't be opened with all of my testing devices (Pocketbook, Sony, Boox). I have forwarded the problem to developers, but I can't promise it will be solved very soon.

what do you mean with panning for pdfs?

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-24-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #177
Booxtor
Booxtor

About bug fixes in current 1.7 version:

* fix the thumbnail is not shown in file explorer after FB2 file is read by cool reader
* fix the recent reading book is not shown in recent reading after using cool reader
* fix incorrectly showing play/pause icons in music player
* fix the sizing and positoning issue of notes dialog while rotating
* fix the bug of multi-language support in sudoku
* fix the bug that can not change font size in cool reader
* fix the bug that can not shutdown automatically when in sudoku
* fix screen reflush in press 'Selection Zoom' in djvu read
* delete empty item at recent reading
* do not exit web browser with Back pressed when keybaord dialog is visible
* fix the text of thumbnail view was not changed after changing font
* fix the incorrectly display the detail view at setting dialog
* fix the bug of naboo_reader that can not go to links in epub.
* fix the bug that focus is gone after clicking a path in file explorer
* fix the screen refresh issue (menu items became blur) while navigating menu items at file explorer
* fix the multi-language support in title of file explorer
* fix the page turning issue when changed to single page mode after zoom
* fix the bug that can not enter hyperlinks, in naboo_reader
* fix the Russian language support in cool reader for FB2
Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #178
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcela K View Post
Another problem I am dealing with since the beginning: while on the web I am unable to enter search-words in Google, Wikipedia or any other search-function on a website. It simply does not open a keyboard. In most instances, in addition, when entering a homepage, the device just does not react, which means that the the already opened homepage will just remain as it was. All this means, that I am basically unable to use the web. Someone else experiencing this problem?
I thought I had the same issues initially, don't know if it is the same you are experiencing, but...
- It is not enough to just click on the input field, you have to do that first, then click the keyboard icon in the bottom bar (right hand, before the refresh symbol).
(I would like the keyboard to just pop up when a form field is focused; perchance in a future f/w?)
- Browser does not show error pages (e.g. 404), Chances are that you have either entered the URI with typos, or the page is down.
(Again, I would prefer an error page to be shown - or at least some sort of progress bar.)

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #179
FMP
Enthusiast
FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: m92
A functionality suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Do you, guys, have some additional suggestions?
I've had the m92 for less than a day so far, but I managed to play with it for a few hours. I have a couple of comments on functionality.

1. Unless I'm missing something the "Select Background" icon under the "Create Scribble" application is not giving options at the moment. It would be good to have at least lined and gridded backgrounds.

2. It would be important to me if one could hide and display scribbles and/or annotations on pdf files at will. I've seen and used this on an Entourage Edge and it is very useful: to be able to use the whole page as working area without detriment to continue reading.

[P.S. I've been very happy with the service provided by ereader-store.de from where I got the device ---thanks Booxtor--- and, from what I have experienced so far, I'm also happy with the device.]
FMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #180
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMP View Post
I've had the m92 for less than a day so far, but I managed to play with it for a few hours. I have a couple of comments on functionality.

1. Unless I'm missing something the "Select Background" icon under the "Create Scribble" application is not giving options at the moment. It would be good to have at least lined and gridded backgrounds.

2. It would be important to me if one could hide and display scribbles and/or annotations on pdf files at will. I've seen and used this on an Entourage Edge and it is very useful: to be able to use the whole page as working area without detriment to continue reading.

[P.S. I've been very happy with the service provided by ereader-store.de from where I got the device ---thanks Booxtor--- and, from what I have experienced so far, I'm also happy with the device.]
dito

Can you please add them to the wishlist at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92_wishlist ?
I think it would make sense to gather things in one place rather than distribute them over pages of thread discussions
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote