Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I don't get about readers is why we have to have a fixed set of font sizes. Why can't we also be able to put in a font size by number? The font engine would support it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #32
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
who cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I don't get about readers is why we have to have a fixed set of font sizes. Why can't we also be able to put in a font size by number? The font engine would support it.
Who cares there are more than enough sizes and the slider is brilliant.

with fonts ranging from very small to very large with around 20 sizes inbetween the new firmware has all the font sizes you could ever want.

If you cant find a font size that suits you on the new firmware then there is something wrong with you not the reader

Last edited by baronrus; 06-29-2011 at 09:44 AM.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #33
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I would love to have the option of returning my touch, but it is still not available where I live!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #34
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not quite. Fonts render with limit included in them. Would be too easy
to set vector to size you like. At this moment cannot find the link to
proper tutorial.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #35
johnwhelan
Zealot
johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnwhelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Cybook Gen 3, Google Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
It's posts like these that keep us going.

We have alleviated some of these issues in 1.9.4. Working on making the touch even better every day.

New font / reading controls added in v1.9.5

I've done quite a few factory resets but have not seen this behaviour. I'll make sure the team looks at it and if there's a fix needed you can bet it will be in an update coming soon.

I have to say I'm all about the touch screen personally, but I can understand the allure of the hardware buttons.

Having a touch of arthritis having to press a hardware button to turn the page was becoming an issue with my existing reader so it looks like I'll pick one of these up shortly.

Cheerio John
johnwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #36
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I can understand why people accustomed to hardware page turn buttons (like on the Kindle and Nook) prefer them. You have to hold the Kobo Touch a little differently to use the touch screen, and there's no longer a page turn button right under your thumb. I never spent a lot of time using earlier models, so I don't have an established habit to break. Using the touch screen seems perfectly natural to me. I don't think either way is better, it's just a question of what you're used to. But then I'm the kind of person who uses a touchpad on my laptop and a mouse with my desktop interchangeably without being bothered by the difference, so maybe some people are more sensitive about it.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #37
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I can understand why people accustomed to hardware page turn buttons (like on the Kindle and Nook) prefer them. You have to hold the Kobo Touch a little differently to use the touch screen, and there's no longer a page turn button right under your thumb. I never spent a lot of time using earlier models, so I don't have an established habit to break. Using the touch screen seems perfectly natural to me. I don't think either way is better, it's just a question of what you're used to. But then I'm the kind of person who uses a touchpad on my laptop and a mouse with my desktop interchangeably without being bothered by the difference, so maybe some people are more sensitive about it.
You could be onto something here. But bottom line is its personal preference. And some prefere to touch some prefere to push and some prefere the use of a stylus. As was pointed out by some one in another thread... a stylus can be useful with a touch screen if you have problems with your hands to some degree.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #38
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Props for wasting your time responding to this guy.
And kudos to you, G0AT for being snotty and disrespectful online!

G0AT - just because you disagree with someone does not mean that they are a troll. By the definition you seem to use, You would be the troll for calling someone else one...

BTW, I've ordered a second Touch, and look forward to receiving it, now that they seem to have fixed many of the problems in the shipped-too-early initial software. It's a shame that they had to ship a not-quite-ready version first, as it certainly doesn't help longer-term marketing efforts to get mediocre initial reviews.

Kobo may yet deliver the best of the 6" readers.

Last edited by EldRick; 06-29-2011 at 01:18 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #39
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pretty sure I didn't call you a troll or any other name. Snotty though I may be.

I was letting the Kobo employees know that we enjoy how active they are in the forums, even so far as responding to a guy who had clearly made up his mind, and tried to sway others with a rather unfair review. The original firmware on the Touch was far from perfect, but no one had the kind of experience you described before, it seems, returning your Touch. But now you have a second one... so maybe you should update your review?
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #40
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I called him a troll.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #41
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

You are correct, G0AT, you didn't call me a troll, a different rude Canadian did. You just described responding to me as a waste of time.
Quote:
...maybe you should update your review?
Already did - here and elsewhere.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #42
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
You are correct, G0AT, you didn't call me a troll, a different rude Canadian did.
You've got to cut the Albertans some slack. They have a superiority complex because they don't get taxed enough.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #43
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Lets all just sit down with some Timmies and chill out
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #44
EldRick
Evangelist

Perhaps it's just pride for a competitive Canadian company showing through...
Old 06-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #45
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
What's that all aboot?

*duck*
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote