Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #31
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
(Stuff Deleted)
Do you have anything useful to add to the thread? So far it doesn't seem so.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #32
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I had bought and downloaded both the Hobbit and the 3-in-1 Lord of the Rings trilogy from Barnes and Nobles about 1 month ago. The LOTR trilogy has a publication date of April 2009. Now, I didn't double-check all the typos found in the OP, but I checked 3 and they are not present in my epub version. Maybe there are a few versions of this 3-in-1 between the different vendors.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #33
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
It's a quibble at best, but men of Middle Earth did not have traditional surnames. They were known as "Name, son of Father's-Name."

Not a big deal!
In fact that is the traditional way to name someone. Surnames are a fairly new invention. In parts of the world (e.g. East India) they still haven't caught on.
And yes, I've met people with no surname. I suggested for soothing the bureaucratic beast that they choose a surname that suggests what they do, e.g. Cedric the Entertainer is a valid (and aesthetically pleasing) name.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #34
John the Miner
Enthusiast
John the Miner began at the beginning.

Device: Eco e-reader
No, jgaiser, I haven't got anything "useful" to offer.
It all depends on what is considered useful.
I think I'll go and sit in the naughty corner now and let the rest of the kidlets play in the sand pit.
John the Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #35
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Yep. Smart A$$ remarks are not useful. Quietly sitting in a corner seems like a good idea.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #36
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Oh, it's a little surprising but if that's how it comes in the print then It's good enough for me.
Thank you for looking and putting my mind at ease Viviena
Older forms of English (including early modern) used to use a form of "to be" instead of "to have" for the perfect of intransitive verbs of motion. This is the standard form in the King James Bible, for example:

Quote:
Thus saith the Lord GOD; An evil, an only evil, behold, is come.
An end is come, the end is come: it watcheth for thee; behold, it is come.
That was present perfect; for past perfect, you get, predictably:

Quote:
And when the seventh month was come , and the children of Israel were in the cities, the people gathered themselves together as one man to Jerusalem.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #37
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Miner View Post
Ahem ... you buy an ebook reader and put a book or three on it.
Next thing, you come across some (or many) literals on the screen, which drive you up the wall when you notice them.
Then you have to correct the text yourself if you want to or are able to.
What am I missing here -- the joy of reading?
I read because I enjoy
I note down mistakes because I don't enjoy them.
It's easy - you just highlight when you see them. It's a public service, in my opinion.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
If for some technical reason it would be very hard or almost impossible to have the books error free then I could perhaps understand like for the dead pixels issue in Televisions. But this is not the case for a very simple reason: You don't have all those errors in print books so there is no acceptable reason to have them in the e-book versions.
I've plenty of pbooks that have errors in them, both typos, grammatical and story-line. And not even first editions either, but rather 20th and further. At least with ebooks I can correct those mistakes and never see them again.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #39
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I think we shouldn't hesitate to ask for refunds. Tell the publishers we do NOT appreciate this.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-20-2011 at 05:36 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #40
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I think we shouldn't hesitate to ask for refunds. Tell the publishers we do NOT appreciate this.
Your success depends on the book store you buy from. I asked for the return policy of WH Smith, if there were errors in an ebook bought from them, and was told that ebooks cannot be returned.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #41
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
Your success depends on the book store you buy from. I asked for the return policy of WH Smith, if there were errors in an ebook bought from them, and was told that ebooks cannot be returned.
Even if we don't get refunds, worth a try. And maybe the message will get though. If nobody says "There's typos and I'm not happy about it", publishers will end up thinking we don't care and be even more lenient than they are right now.
Even better, rather than mailing the shop, mail the publisher directly.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-20-2011 at 09:17 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #42
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Even if we don't get refunds, worth a try. And maybe the message will get though.
Very true, especially if the unsuccessful attempt is terminated with "I do not intend to buy from your store again, due to your non-return policy for poor quality goods".
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #43
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
You aren't going to get far trying to return a book (e or p) because it has a few typos it in. A small number of errors would not make the book unsaleable.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #44
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
In fact that is the traditional way to name someone. Surnames are a fairly new invention. In parts of the world (e.g. East India) they still haven't caught on.
And yes, I've met people with no surname. I suggested for soothing the bureaucratic beast that they choose a surname that suggests what they do, e.g. Cedric the Entertainer is a valid (and aesthetically pleasing) name.
Great info, AH. I learned something new!
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Wormtongue's first name is Gríma.

I've looked through the list of errors that AprilHare posted, comparing them to my EPUB edition of The Two Towers. I also have the 50th Anniversary 3-in-1 print edition sitting beside me, which I've used to double-check various things.

The retail EPUB edition of The Two Towers has none of the errors reported in this thread. If anybody has errors for FOTR and ROTK, I'll check them too, but I wouldn't be surprised if the individual ebooks for FOTR and ROTK were also error-free.

So... why? Aren't these individual EPUBs from the same source as the 3-in-1? Why is the 3-in-1 screwed up in the process?

Also, 573 is just 'Westu Théoden hál!' cried Éomer.
I have to agree with that. These errors are not in the individual editions but are instead in the 3-in-1 edition. I have double checked as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote