Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
A new, interesting way of eating!

For the past few days we've been experimenting with a food service that was advertising in our neighborhood. They sent around a large (newspaper size) glossy magazine filled with photos of different meals. Usually three courses, all different foods and recipes (all Japanese, of course,) and complete preparation and cooking instructions for each dish. You can choose the number of portions, and even decide on quick cooking or longer prep.

We chose five different dinners out of a choice of about 25. Each day, the company delivers all the ingredients just for that day's meal in an insulated box. The leave the box in our outer hall so we don't even have to be here to receive it. We just empty the box, follow the directions, and have a nice dinner. We have to provide salt, pepper, and rice, etc, but otherwise everything needed is included in the container, all fresh and ready to prep.

It's seems to be about 2/3rds the cost of what I had been spending for our dinners, and certainly easier than going to the market every day, although I do miss the daily visit to the market and deciding which country's food we'll have that night. So far, each meal has been fairly tasty, and the portion size exactly right. (We order for three. ) This isn't something we will do every week, but one week out of every 3-4 weeks will be nice!

I know that there are food delivery services that will fill your freezer and stock your cupboards in other countries, but I'd never heard of one that made daily deliveries of just that day's food. Does something like this exist in your part of the world?
Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I really like this concept, although I too would miss going to the market. I sometimes have leftover ingredients because I can't buy in quantities small enough for just one dinner.

My partner, on the other hand, would say, while poking around in an unfamiliar meal, "What's this?" or "What's that?" or "What's that smell?.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I really like this concept, although I too would miss going to the market. I sometimes have leftover ingredients because I can't buy in quantities small enough for just one dinner.
Before we met, my wife's usual meals were Japanese. But as I do most of the cooking, and like foods from different countries, we got into the habit of having a different cuisine every night. I find this new delivery service convenient but constricting. And when I cook there are ALWAYS leftovers, usually enough for another two meals, which we freeze for days when we are too lazy or too busy to cook. This new service only provides the exact amount needed for the meal portions. Three Japanese portions are exactly right for the two of us! We are full, but not stuffed, and nothing is left over.

Quote:
My partner, on the other hand, would say, while poking around in an unfamiliar meal, "What's this?" or "What's that?" or "What's that smell?.
In our case it's ME that is asking that! I always left the cooking of Japanese meals to her. Now that I'm doing it, I don't have any idea of half the stuff I'm making! I have to follow the recipe book every step of the way!

Stitchawl
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
NightLight
Banned
NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.NightLight has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3
That certainly sounds interesting.
Here in the States, the only thing I know of that is even remotely similar is the Jenny Craig diet plan. They send you your meals for a month, I believe.
Fully prepared.
Frozen, of course.
And probably at 3x the cost of doing it yourself.

Matt
NightLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightLight View Post
That certainly sounds interesting.
Here in the States, the only thing I know of that is even remotely similar is the Jenny Craig diet plan. They send you your meals for a month, I believe.
Fully prepared.
Frozen, of course.
And probably at 3x the cost of doing it yourself.

Matt
This sure isn't Jenny Craig, although the meals average only about 400-500 calories each. Nothing like the great kielbasi and pirogi I used to buy in Greenpoint back in the day! Japanese homes are usually waaaay too small for freezers to hold a month's worth of meals. I miss having a chest freezer and being able to go to a butcher shop and buying a hindquarter of beef, or a side of pork. I guess this must be the next best thing!

Stitchawl
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I know in my part of the US, the closest you would get here are small, private chef services who cook for 10-20 families. they cook and deliver meals daily rather than just sending ingredients. They have a large menu choice, much like you described, save for them delivering the food actually prepared rather than just the ingredients.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:

... "What's that smell?.
I get the same thing from my wife, but it's usually not during meal time...
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
We get that from the kids all the time, often followed immediately by "I'm not eating that!"
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Don0801
Don0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle 3 wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
For the past few days we've been experimenting with a food service ....
I remember the Food Channel did a number on a store like that: the only difference is the customers pack the ingredients themselves at the store. (Let me see if I can find the link on YouTube ...)
Don0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I am so picky about my food I don't know how I would like this. some items most people would be satisfied with, especially produce and meat, I won't touch. interesting concept though
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I like the sound of that. I actually enjoy cooking (a bit of me-time in the kitchen with the radio on and a glass of wine) so fully prepared takeaway meals aren't great. This way, I could try different things and get to cook them myself without having to go to the shops.

Can't see anywhere in the UK doing anything similar in the UK at the moment though.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I am so picky about my food I don't know how I would like this. some items most people would be satisfied with, especially produce and meat, I won't touch. interesting concept though
With this service, YOU choose what you will eat, not them. So far, every ingredient has been top shelf. The eggs are free-range, no blemishes on the veggies, the meat and fish smell fresh as can be, tomatoes firm and ripe, etc. It's just really weird to open the box and see half a carrot, one scallion, etc.

There are two or three Japanese foods that I don't like, and several ingredients I normally wouldn't purchase myself for inclusion into a meal. But being able to make the choice myself BEFORE ordering avoids that problem. My only real complaint so far is that every meal is Japanese. But I suppose that's to be expected with a Japanese food service, right? I am learning a lot about the basics of Japanese cooking which I never bothered to learn before. It's always good to know the foundations of an ethnic cuisine if one likes to cook.

Stitchawl
Old 12-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
it IS intriguing to think about having all of the absolutely correct proportions of any given ingredient!

gives you more time to work on the cookbook!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Okay, not me, but is anybody thinking... "hmm, a niche to be filled here."

We have these places where you can go and make up meals for your family for a week, or something like that. You usually make an evening of it, go with a couple of friends, and the ingredients and recipes are there for you. I've never done it, but I think you cook it and then package it up for you to take home and use/freeze. A friend of mine went -- I'll ask her next time I see her.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Okay, not me, but is anybody thinking... "hmm, a niche to be filled here."

We have these places where you can go and make up meals for your family for a week, or something like that. You usually make an evening of it, go with a couple of friends, and the ingredients and recipes are there for you. I've never done it, but I think you cook it and then package it up for you to take home and use/freeze. A friend of mine went -- I'll ask her next time I see her.
yep, that's how it is done. there was one here that went out of business pretty quickly. I've always wanted to do the bit where you cook meals for "x" amount of families