Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2023, 10:23 AM   #1
Bitter Almonds
Bitter Almonds began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kindle 4 & 10, Paperwhite 4, Oasis 1 & 3, Nook Glowlight+
Unhappy Kindle Oasis 3 Stuck On Boot Screen

HALP!

Last night, I restarted my 32GB Kindle Oasis 3 and when it finished rebooting, all my e-books showed as "removed from device." I restarted it again and the device is now stuck on the boot screen with the kid-under-the-tree logo.

The screen looks like this:

https://youtube.com/shorts/z8hdjt1wl...UyiyKyj5ZbXzGt

I tried pressing on the on the on/off button for 40 seconds to do a hard reset. I did that over and over and over. That did not work

I tried connecting it to my laptop a couple of times last night and it did not show up at all... so that did not work.

Currently, I am waiting for the battery to drain and try to recharge it and/or connect it to my laptop.

I've had this e-reader for only two years (bought it on August 21st, 2021), but it's long outta warranty (good for one year from date of purchase). I've only used it to read manga that I bought from Amazon and did not modify or install any other kind of firmware or software; I've only done the Amazon updates. I've treated this device with care and only kept it at my bedside.

Is there anything else I can do? Any other recourse, repair, battery replacement, anything? Is he dead?
Bitter Almonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Just FYI, pressing on the on/off button for 40 seconds does a normal restart. A hard reset might help if it ever finishes starting up.

If you read a large number of large mangas over the two years, your storage might have worn out or it has suffered premature failure.

Even amazon might not be able to open the case to replace the battery.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:38 PM   #3
Bitter Almonds

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Just FYI, pressing on the on/off button for 40 seconds does a normal restart. A hard reset might help if it ever finishes starting up.

If you read a large number of large mangas over the two years, your storage might have worn out or it has suffered premature failure.

Even amazon might not be able to open the case to replace the battery.
I was under the impression that holding the button for 40 seconds was the "hard reset." However, you are correct. I used all the internal memory on manga.

If I can repair it, I don't mind paying someone to replace the battery. It's the premature failure that I am afraid of, as there would be no recourse other than trashing the device.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:31 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Whatever your impression was, you can not get a hard reset that way on any kindle.

No one has reported being able to open an Oasis 2 or 3 without rendering it essentially unusable.

Merely filling up the memory should not be enough to break the memory. Filling it, then every time after that only deleting one or a few, then refilling would wear it out after a while. But unless it has been full for some time and you have added a lot of books since then, wear out still seems a bit unlikely in only 2 years. You are being stingy with information, No one has telepathy.

(But, of course, prematur failure is a possibility.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:22 AM   #5
Bitter Almonds

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Whatever your impression was, you can not get a hard reset that way on any kindle.

No one has reported being able to open an Oasis 2 or 3 without rendering it essentially unusable.

Merely filling up the memory should not be enough to break the memory. Filling it, then every time after that only deleting one or a few, then refilling would wear it out after a while. But unless it has been full for some time and you have added a lot of books since then, wear out still seems a bit unlikely in only 2 years. You are being stingy with information, No one has telepathy.

(But, of course, prematur failure is a possibility.)
I provided the relevant information about the dilemma:

Day One:

1. 32GB Kindle Oasis 3 is stuck on the boot screen after restarting.
2. Tried to restart a few times by holding down the power button.
3. Tried connecting it to my laptop and it did not show up at all.
4. Kindle Oasis does not have any software modifications, other than the official Amazon updates.
5. Files are Amazon Kindle e-books.
6. It is a 2-year old device that has been lightly-treated/used.

Day Two (today):

1. I let the battery drain, so the screen changed from the Kindle tree logo to the drained-battery sign.
2. I recharged it using its micro-USB and Amazon charger.
3. It charged up again and it was back to the Kindle tree logo.
4. I proceeded to repeat the steps from Day One - to no avail

You brought up the internal memory, which I promptly responded to. However, knowing that replacing the battery will not change anything (or that there is not an actual repair for this defect) is good information to have, as this means I am stuck with e-waste at this point.

Tags
frozen start page, oasis