Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #16
Tom2112
Tablet eReader
Tom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, iPad, Dell Streak 7, Moto RAZR MAXX
You're welcome, guys. I've been meaning to sort that out, and it was good to put it in writing somewhere that I can look it up myself.

I just purchased four of the five books in that series - I'm going to skip Elric in the Dream Realms as I was never that fond of The Fortress of the Pearl.

I'm in the process of re-assembling my purchased content into the original books, because that's the way I like them too. It's nice to start with legal copies of the works rather than the crappy scan/OCR jobs I've downloaded in the past.

If you haven't taken advantage of Fictionwise's Micropay discounts and rebates, now's a good time. It brings the prices down to where they should be anyway.
Tom2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Tom, it might have been a limited-time giveaway and I don't recall exactly which Stanza-linked vendor (Random House? Feedbooks?) but it was legitimate. I regularly scan for those that interest me and there have been some "scores" like this one.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
Tom2112
Tablet eReader
Tom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, iPad, Dell Streak 7, Moto RAZR MAXX
Thanks Penforhire. I ended up buying them from Fictionwise, using their great discounts right now. Then I broke the DRM and recompiled the "original" six books from the new editions. It was worth it to have it the way I wanted it - all six in the right order and in one big epub.
Tom2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #19
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
So I don't mean to revive a ten year-old topic, but, has anyone had any luck finding Elric Saga e-books for sale anywhere in the US? There seem to be several collections available, but only in the UK.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:12 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAsshat View Post
So I don't mean to revive a ten year-old topic, but, has anyone had any luck finding Elric Saga e-books for sale anywhere in the US? There seem to be several collections available, but only in the UK.
Yes, they are available. But not in the US. They are available in the UK. If you are in the uS, go to Kobo and switch your location to the UK and you should be able to buy them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2019, 05:28 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAsshat View Post
How odd. Moorcock repacked the Elric Saga as the Chronicles Of the Last Emperor of Melnibone, a six volume series. I bought the last two back in January of this year. I bought the first one way back in 2008 and bought the last two mostly because I was going through my library, filling in the gaps. Obviously, it's a good thing I did. I've got the Elric, Erekose, Corum, Count Brass and Hawkmoon in ebooks. There are a couple more of his eternal champion books that I would like to get.

It does look like his comic book versions of the series are still out there as well as the Corum books. No idea what happened. Maybe the contract expired.

As jswolf said, there are ways of getting around geo restrictions depending on what store you use.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #22
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It does look like his comic book versions of the series are still out there as well as the Corum books. No idea what happened. Maybe the contract expired.
Nope. Elric and probably the rest of the Eternal Champion books are under the Hachette Group. SF Gateway is the selling imprint in most UK regions and... nobody in the US and Canada because Hachette's CEO thinks ebooks are a "stupid product".
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post
Nope. Elric and probably the rest of the Eternal Champion books are under the Hachette Group. SF Gateway is the selling imprint in most UK regions and... nobody in the US and Canada because Hachette's CEO thinks ebooks are a "stupid product".
With an attitude like that, he should be fired.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With an attitude like that, he should be fired.
Oh that's just any stick to whack a publisher foolishness. Those books were available as ebooks at the Kindle store for a decade. The books are actually from Del Rey books,which is a Random House company.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #25
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh that's just any stick to whack a publisher foolishness. Those books were available as ebooks at the Kindle store for a decade. The books are actually from Del Rey books,which is a Random House company.
Yay, licensing wonkiness. I assumed an Hachette company because I could not find a US publisher.

I checked Del Rey's web site this morning. They list two of the six new version collections as in print (#5 and #6) with placeholders for two more books but the purchase links go to "not found" pages across all of the vendors except for BAM which has the courtesy of informing viewers that these are not available at this time.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yay, licensing wonkiness. I assumed an Hachette company because I could not find a US publisher.

I checked Del Rey's web site this morning. They list two of the six new version collections as in print (#5 and #6) with placeholders for two more books but the purchase links go to "not found" pages across all of the vendors except for BAM which has the courtesy of informing viewers that these are not available at this time.
I suspect the real issue is that Moorcock shifted publishers and is putting out a new edition of the books with Gollancz in the UK, which is a Hachette company. Thus, I suspect that as the contracts with Del Rey expire, they were simply not renewed, thus they are being pulled out of the store. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be an American publisher. They are available in the UK amazon kindle store. If it was a case of the publisher hating ebooks, they wouldn't be available in the UK.

I have the 1977 DAW book series in paper, and that's how I tend to think of the series. The ebook series reboot reordered the stories, added some new material and new illustrations. It sounds like the Gollancz reboot has made some new changes.

Christopher Rowley did the same thing with his Bazil Broketail series. The original series was 7 books written from 1992 to 1999. The ebooks came out starting in 2016 renamed and in a somewhat different edition.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #27
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
I suspect the real issue is that Moorcock shifted publishers and is putting out a new edition of the books with Gollancz in the UK, which is a Hachette company. Thus, I suspect that as the contracts with Del Rey expire, they were simply not renewed, thus they are being pulled out of the store. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be an American publisher. They are available in the UK amazon kindle store. If it was a case of the publisher hating ebooks, they wouldn't be available in the UK.
On the other hand I still can't get the middle 4 Culture novels in the US but all 10 are available in the UK. Orbit (Hachette) is the publisher on both sides of the puddle. It's just so weirdly inconsistent.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
On the other hand I still can't get the middle 4 Culture novels in the US but all 10 are available in the UK. Orbit (Hachette) is the publisher on both sides of the puddle. It's just so weirdly inconsistent.
Go to Kobo and you can buy them in ePub. You just have to set your location for the UK.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:47 PM   #29
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go to Kobo and you can buy them in ePub. You just have to set your location for the UK.
Doesn't make it any less wonk.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's the book world when it comes to backlist books and Geo-restrictions. It took a long time for Stephen Fry's Mythos to become available as an ebook in the US and his sequel still isn't available. Authors, or rather their agents, tend to focus on their home countries and can be slow negotiating publishing contracts in other countries. It's common for authors to have different publishers in different countries. Moorcock and Fry are both English authors.

Most of the time when an ebook becomes no longer available in a given country, it's because the original publishing contract expired and there currently isn't a publisher who has the rights to publish the book in that country. Because each contract is different, that's how you end up with situations like the Belgarion series being available in England, but not the US.

You can see some of the same dynamics with print books that go out of print.