Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle and Mobipocket software

When I plug my Kindle into the PC with Mobipocket running, it sees the Kindle as a device (it sees my iPod too). However, when I send to Kindle it puts it into a eBooks folder rather than the documents folder. Is there a way to change/hack this?

Draging the file to the Kindle isn't hard, it would just be nice to send the stuff right from the Mobi software.

BOb
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You are probably running Mobi Desktop 6.1 or 6.2. You need to uninstall it, and install 6.0, which is fully compatible with the Kindle. (Mobipocket removed this compatibility in 6.1.)

I have a copy hosted somewhere. This should be it:
http://mason.gmu.edu/~nhoffeld/Mobipocket6.zip

P.S. Desktop 6.0 will put the ebooks in the correct folder, identify your kindle's PID, and also make julienne fries.
Advert
Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
P.S. Desktop 6.0 will put the ebooks in the correct folder, identify your kindle's PID, and also make julienne fries.
Ok. So, what features do I loose by downgrading to 6.0?

BOb
Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Epub conversion
Cybook, Blackberry support

I think that's all.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Epub conversion
Cybook, Blackberry support

I think that's all.
Does 6.0 run OK under Vista?
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't know. Hell will freeze over before I use Vista.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like it or not, Vista is what virtually every home PC is supplied with these days. No point in recommending 6.0 if it's not going to run!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

And how can I test it if I don't use it?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I wasn't asking you specifically - it was a general question to the forum in response to your comment that one didn't lose anything by "downgrading" from 6.2 to 6.0. I don't know whether or not 6.0 runs under Vista, but if if doesn't, then clearly that will be of concern to many users.

Does anyone know whether or not MobiPocket Desktop Reader 6.0 has any issues with Vista?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wasn't asking you specifically - it was a general question to the forum in response to your comment that one didn't lose anything by "downgrading" from 6.2 to 6.0. I don't know whether or not 6.0 runs under Vista, but if if doesn't, then clearly that will be of concern to many users.

Does anyone know whether or not MobiPocket Desktop Reader 6.0 has any issues with Vista?
I dual boot XP and Vista so I'd be happy to try. I had already installed 6.2 last night but I'll ry 6.0 and let you know what happens.

Update: 6.0 installed with no problems from Vista and it still recognizes my laptop and Tungsten T5 as registered devices. However, when I connect my Kindle, it does not recognize it and keeps asking me to connect my hand held device. When I had 6.2 installed, it knew something was connected but didn't know what it was. 6.2 wanted me to supply a name for the device and a PID.

Anything else you would like me to try before I switch back to 6.2?

I should also note my Kindle is a 1.0.8 version.

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-24-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Here:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~nhoffeld/Mobipocket6.zip
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks Nate, I downloaded and installed 6.0. See my previous post for an update.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna stick with 6.2. I can still move the books from the software to the Kindle... then I just open the Kindle drive and move the ebooks folder into the documents folder. That seems to work fine.

Not sure why they don't support the Kindle as a Mobi device. Well, yes I am... Amazon must make more money when they sell a Kindle book than when they sell a Mobi book.

But, it is much nicer to have a reader that supports Mobi now as most of the free stuff out there is in that format... whereas with the Sony I was having to convert almost everything. I currently have 3 ebook software management programs on my machine, Mobi, Sony, Calibre... and hope to be able to drop that down to one. I guess that depends on if I sell the Sony or give it to my son... still not decided on that one.

BOb
Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
If I remember correctly, Mobipocket 6.0 works fine in Vista, just not recognizing Kindle. Numerous other bugs in Vista made me switch back to XP eventually last month.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna stick with 6.2. I can still move the books from the software to the Kindle... then I just open the Kindle drive and move the ebooks folder into the documents folder. That seems to work fine.

Not sure why they don't support the Kindle as a Mobi device. Well, yes I am... Amazon must make more money when they sell a Kindle book than when they sell a Mobi book.

But, it is much nicer to have a reader that supports Mobi now as most of the free stuff out there is in that format... whereas with the Sony I was having to convert almost everything. I currently have 3 ebook software management programs on my machine, Mobi, Sony, Calibre... and hope to be able to drop that down to one. I guess that depends on if I sell the Sony or give it to my son... still not decided on that one.

BOb
Although you can move books to Kindle manually this way, I think you lost an important/interesting feature of MObipocket reader. It can automatically grab RSS feed, put together a e-magazine and put it on your device every time you plugged it in. I am using this feature to read Economists, Wired etc for a couple of months already. You can still do the transfer part by hand, but it is just not as convenient as plugging it in for a while in the morning and be ready for the day...
Closed Thread