Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
tomtc
tomtc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
pin book to top of library.

Hi - is there any way of pining a book to the top - irrespective of what sorting you undertake. I would like the Quick-start guide to remain top left in the Cover Grid no matter what sorting I do. Is that possible?
tomtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtc View Post
Hi - is there any way of pining a book to the top - irrespective of what sorting you undertake. I would like the Quick-start guide to remain top left in the Cover Grid no matter what sorting I do. Is that possible?
Not that I know of.

select the book: Tap 'O': Use the OS (right-click) to create a shortcut on the desktop (you can move/pin that shortcut to the OS launch bar).
be sure to Close the window without modifying the contents

Usage: OS Open with: 'viewer for ebook formats' (ebook-viewer.exe)

Last edited by theducks; 03-02-2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add usage notes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
tomtc

Thanks theducks, handy tip, but I was actually looking for a way to pin a book to a location in the library which would useful for my daughter who is learning calibre. Thought it might be useful for other purposes as well. Had a notion that I could edit most of the 'sorting' metadata fields to add a 'aaa' or something to prioritise it alphabetically, but that would be convoluted and only work in some instances. Cheers anyway...
Old 03-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtc View Post
Thanks theducks, handy tip, but I was actually looking for a way to pin a book to a location in the library which would useful for my daughter who is learning calibre. Thought it might be useful for other purposes as well. Had a notion that I could edit most of the 'sorting' metadata fields to add a 'aaa' or something to prioritise it alphabetically, but that would be convoluted and only work in some instances. Cheers anyway...
Since you can sort on any column (except {id}), single field tricks are bound to fail sometimes.

TAG Browser
Learn to Use it. You can do lots with just a Mouse and your control key (for adding extra terms.) eg Click Weber, David under Authors, Now hold the control key and click Baen.. TWICE under Publishers

You now have a view of all books by Weber that were NOT published by Baen (there are a few )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@tomtc How about a Reading List ( click).

Bit 'heavy handed' for one book, but there may be other books you and/or your daughter want at your finger tips. Reading lists are arbitrary, ie they are not dependent on metadata content, you can have multiple reading lists and the same book can be in more than one list.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-02-2014 at 09:37 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@tomtc Maybe what's needed is a PI that combines the basic features of a Reading List (add books arbitrarily to a named list) that presents a selected list in a child-window similar Quickview's (list in a non modal floating dialogue box), from this list you would select a book for viewing - i.e. a QuickReader plug-in.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-02-2014 at 09:46 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
tomtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@tomtc How about a Reading List ( click).

Bit 'heavy handed' for one book, but there may be other books you and/or your daughter want at your finger tips. Reading lists are arbitrary, ie they are not dependent on metadata content, you can have multiple reading lists and the same book can be in more than one list.

BR
Thanks. Think actually that makes a lot of sense. I just have a named reading list (eg 'Read Me') which has those I am looking to highlight. Thanks - sometimes its the simple ideas that you miss in thinking of complicated design...

Thanks to all who chipped in...