Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
George Troxell
George Troxell began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Question link different dictionaries to books in different language

I read downloaded classical literature in their native languages. These languages are: English, French, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish.

When reading these types of books in printed form, I use a separate uni-lingual (not translating) dictionary for each language.

I use Calibre to manage my collection of digital books.

Calibre has a stock column for "language". For each book, I enter the "language" in which it appears in the collection.

I have an assortment of uni-lingual dictionaries, some, like the French Petite Robert and the Spanish DRAE, are installed on the hard drive, while others appear on my desk-top as icons linked to the on-line website look-up window.

Is it possible to modify by some existing means a way to couple the different e-books' "language" setting in Calibre to the corresponding on-disk or on-line uni-lingual dictionary? For example, if I load the French version of LES TROIS MOUSKETIERS from Calibre, and click on a word, my on-disc French dictionary will appear, showing the entry for that word, with its definitions, etiology, synonyms, etc.

I have made a diligent effort to find any reference to this issue, either in regards Calibre, any similar software, or in any dedicated e-reader. No luck. So I turn for help to what appears to be an exceptionally well-informed group for a source of a solution to this functionality, for which there would seem to be considerable demand.

Thanks for any information or guidance,

George Troxell

This my first post, so kindly overlook any technical mistakes.

New user.
Not competent to write in python, etc.
Now running latest version of Calibre on laptop using windows XP.
George Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:15 AM   #2
heythereimkira
heythereimkira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20 Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Troxell View Post
I read downloaded classical literature in their native languages. These languages are: English, French, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish.

When reading these types of books in printed form, I use a separate uni-lingual (not translating) dictionary for each language.

I use Calibre to manage my collection of digital books.

Calibre has a stock column for "language". For each book, I enter the "language" in which it appears in the collection.

I have an assortment of uni-lingual dictionaries, some, like the French Petite Robert and the Spanish DRAE, are installed on the hard drive, while others appear on my desk-top as icons linked to the on-line website look-up window.

Is it possible to modify by some existing means a way to couple the different e-books' "language" setting in Calibre to the corresponding on-disk or on-line uni-lingual dictionary? For example, if I load the French version of LES TROIS MOUSKETIERS from Calibre, and click on a word, my on-disc French dictionary will appear, showing the entry for that word, with its definitions, etiology, synonyms, etc.

I have made a diligent effort to find any reference to this issue, either in regards Calibre, any similar software, or in any dedicated e-reader. No luck. So I turn for help to what appears to be an exceptionally well-informed group for a source of a solution to this functionality, for which there would seem to be considerable demand.

Thanks for any information or guidance,

George Troxell

This my first post, so kindly overlook any technical mistakes.

New user.
Not competent to write in python, etc.
Now running latest version of Calibre on laptop using windows XP.
Hi, I can’t seem to grasp how to make a Norwegian Bokmål dictionary. Would you mind sharing yours? I would really appreciate it, I didn't think it would be so difficult and I'm having an hard time making one myself
heythereimkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, dictionary, language, library management, multi-lingual