Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #781
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Question Lost Duplicates Plug In from Calibre

I had a message appear in calibre saying update Find Duplicates
So I clicked on it and it has now gone from the top bar
Help please
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #782
capink
Zealot
capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: icarus illumina
Try re-adding it through preferences > toolbars & menus > Main toolbar
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #783
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Try re-adding it through preferences > toolbars & menus > Main toolbar
Youre a star, didnt know it was there Never had cause to look at the toolbars menu
Thanks
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #784
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I've installed the new version (new plugin, really ) and I want to say thank you because it fits my needs better now. I have a couple of comments, however:
  • I can enlarge the dialog but not reduce it, and it's a big ginormous (aesthetical preference, just in case there is a problem preventing the reduction) (See attached image)
  • I have to load the search preferences EVERY time I call the plugin, and it gets boring fast (this is my main peeve with the plugin)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anotación 2020-10-16 184652.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	182795  
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #785
capink
Zealot
capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.capink has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've installed the new version (new plugin, really ) and I want to say thank you because it fits my needs better now.
Thanks, nice to hear.

Quote:
I can enlarge the dialog but not reduce it, and it's a big ginormous (aesthetical preference, just in case there is a problem preventing the reduction) (See attached image)
I will look into that and change for the next release.

Quote:
I have to load the search preferences EVERY time I call the plugin, and it gets boring fast (this is my main peeve with the plugin)
The code to restore the preferences is already in the plugin, it is commented out until I figure out how to best to utilize it.

The problem is that since this new mode uses custom columns and templates, we can have a situation where the plugin trying to restore settings and failing because a custom column is no longer there, or user defined template function is deleted. When restoring from saved settings, the code actually checks for all these things, restores columns and algorithms that can be restored, and then presents the user with detailed error messages of what cannot be restored.

This can be easily applied to restore the preference from when the user last used the plugin, I just think it is ugly for the user to open the plugin and be greeted with an error message immediately. So, I thought about making this optional, but I am still not sure about the default, should it be set to restore or not, and should I do it as separate option for each dialog or just one that apply to all three dialogs.

Edit: Another option is to fail silently without an error message.

Last edited by capink; 10-16-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #786
compurandom
Fanatic
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Edit: Another option is to fail silently without an error message.
I'd be tempted to trap the errors, clear preferences for missing columns, and warn the user next time it is opened that some preferences were cleared.
Or something like that. That way, next time it would be the same as failing silently, except that everything that wasn't broken should work.

Another option would be to leave everything broken, print some warnings to the debug log, and force the user into the preferences dialog (maybe with an explanation why) next time they try to use the plugin.

The big difference is that if the deleted a column and put it back, the second option should leave everything as it was.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #787
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not a fan of giving the information about the error in the debug log, I think that a message as: "xxxxx" preferences are not longer valid, or something like that, is useful, and clearing that default.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #788
capink
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I'd be tempted to trap the errors, clear preferences for missing columns, and warn the user next time it is opened that some preferences were cleared.
That is what the commented out code actually does, but the problem for me is that it is not friendly to open duplicates dialog and have an error message pop instead, and only after you press OK be presented with the find duplicates dialog

Quote:
and force the user into the preferences dialog
There is no preference dialog to direct the user to, you have to check the settings when the user opens the plugin, and take the action then, as it stands now, if an error is found, it would pop a message detailing what went wrong.

Quote:
print some warnings to the debug log
The restore code already does that, but this going to be missed by most users because you don't normally start calibre in debug mode, and even if you did, you probably miss it if only one template failed in a multi-algorithm rule.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of giving the information about the error in the debug log, I think that a message as: "xxxxx" preferences are not longer valid, or something like that, is useful, and clearing that default.
Attached below is what happens when you try to restore a saved setting that contains missing columns or templates.

I thought that the presence of the saved settings feature might be enough for people since you restore it with just a one click, Apparently not.

So, I decided to wait on automatic restore of last used settings until I have clear picture of how to do it. Because if I proceed now and changed my mind later, I will have to bump the config file schema version, and add code to convert user's old settings to the conform with the new schema, which I don't really want to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	33
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	182798  
Old 10-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #789
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I thought that the presence of the saved settings feature might be enough for people since you restore it with just a one click, Apparently not.
No, as before you had to do nothing. Now, you have to select the template and load it every time, it's not just a click. Well, I like the plugin as it is now, but I think I prefer the usability of the previous one, that was enough for my needs.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #790
capink
Zealot

Quote:
No, as before you had to do nothing. Now, you have to select the template and load it every time, it's not just a click. Well, I like the plugin as it is now, but I think I prefer the usability of the previous one, that was enough for my needs.
Give it some time and it will eventually be done. The solution I'm currently leaning towards, is to restore only if the settings are 100% valid, if not do not restore (no message popup), with an option for the user to override the default behavior make it restore with message if errors are found.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:34 AM   #791
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Give it some time and it will eventually be done. The solution I'm currently leaning towards, is to restore only if the settings are 100% valid, if not do not restore (no message popup), with an option for the user to override the default behavior make it restore with message if errors are found.
Thank you, it should be the ideal solution from my POV.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #792
compurandom
Fanatic
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Attached below is what happens when you try to restore a saved setting that contains missing columns or templates.
I'm not a fan of error dialogs, because if they are modal, they prevent me from fixing the problem and when I close them, I can't remember what the second error was. If they're not modal, then they get lost under other windows.

In my own plugin, I reserved a line or two of "blank" space, and stuffed status messages in there including successes, warnings, errors, etc.

If you really want to get fancy, stick a column on the left and when there's errors, stuck a red arrow or some other marker in that column or something like that. (And I'd also put a marker in the message box with a message explaining what it meant.) I think it's easy to put a trigger on the rule and/or marker so that when you hover, the message changes if there is a message.

You could also just color the text of the errored rule, but I'm a bit leery of that because I'm always afraid some person isn't going to be able to see the color change or won't understand it or might be using dark mode where the color change makes the text invisible or something annoying.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #793
capink
Zealot

Quote:
I'm not a fan of error dialogs, because if they are modal, they prevent me from fixing the problem and when I close them, I can't remember what the second error was. If they're not modal, then they get lost under other windows.

In my own plugin, I reserved a line or two of "blank" space, and stuffed status messages in there including successes, warnings, errors, etc.

If you really want to get fancy, stick a column on the left and when there's errors, stuck a red arrow or some other marker in that column or something like that. (And I'd also put a marker in the message box with a message explaining what it meant.) I think it's easy to put a trigger on the rule and/or marker so that when you hover, the message changes if there is a message.

You could also just color the text of the errored rule, but I'm a bit leery of that because I'm always afraid some person isn't going to be able to see the color change or won't understand it or might be using dark mode where the color change makes the text invisible or something annoying.
I agree with trying to avoid popup error messages whenever possible. But sometimes they can be more informative than other solutions.

I will defer modifying the error dialog until I see how it goes on the long term, and I suspect the majority does not routinely delete their custom columns or functions, so probably most will not have to deal with them anyway.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #794
capink
Zealot

Version 1.8.2
Update: Restore last used match rules and sort filters.
Fix: Allow dialog size to be reduced.

The dialog was still not shrinking horizontally, so I had the modify the save/restore box by removing the "add to existing" checkbox and substituting it with a drop-down button.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:30 AM   #795
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you for the changes! There is a minor problem yet. When you're searching between libraries, every time you change the destination library the settings for the search are removed.

Tags
cross library duplicates, in library duplicates