Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
hlk123
Enthusiast
hlk123 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus7(2013), KindleFireHD7, PB622, PB623, AsusMemoTabHD7
folder-tree system in an Android tablet

Hallo

Can I (no superuser) in a Android tablet create a folder-tree system for my many e-books?
In a Kindle Fire HD it is not possible .... at least I don't know how.
How it is in a Asus Android tablets .. like Nexus-7 or MemoPad-7?
Thank you.
hlk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes this can be done on a Kindle Fire HD, but not with Amazon books. You must use a different reader, such as Aldiko or Mantano. You must sideload epubs. You can hook the Fire up to your PC and copy your file tree there. Then you can use a file manager, such as ES File Explorer, to navigate your file tree. Click on the book you want and open in the application you prefer, such as Mantano.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
hlk123
Enthusiast

@booklover6

I've seen at Amazon that Aldiko & Mantano don't run on a KindleFireHD but on an pure Android-system.

I connected the KFHD7 to my Dell Laptop. I copied a tree from Dell to KFHD7 in the folder "Books". I didn't create that tree manually as a subtree of "Books"!
Afterwards I disconnected the KFHD7. I clicked "ES File Explorer" and I choosed a book (in the tree) from the list. I read that book without seeing the tree....
Strange....

PS. You wrote "You must SIDELOAD epubs". What do you mean with "sideload"?
I read epubs in KFHD7 with ezPDF.... an Android-app, which run on a KFHD7 like ESFE.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hlk, what I do is, via the web browser on the KFHD, browse to 1mobile.com and download their app. From that, I download Mantano or Aldiko. (You don't have to do it this way, if you download the apk to your computer, then side load it to the Fire and install it using the ES File explorer).

By side loading the books, I meant doing exactly what you did. I created a file on my PC with the books in the file trees I wanted, then over usb copied the entire file to the KFHD. Then I can browse the files with ES File explorer, and open them with my favorite reading app. I like Mantano, but there are others, such as Cool Reader, FBreader, the one you use, if you like it then keep using it.

I followed the same procedure with my Nook HD7, copied the entire file tree to the SD card. It's a great way to organize your books!

Last edited by booklover6; 08-04-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
hlk123
Enthusiast

On my Laptop (with the Windows-Explorer) I move from a tree-branch to a branch until I find a certain ebook in a certain folder.
I see the tree ... and the order.

On my KFHD7 with the ES-File-explorer I see (in the folder "Books") alphabetically a long list of the whole ebooks .. as if the whole ebooks are in a folder .. not distributed in a tree.
I don't see the order anymore ....

I've heard that ES-File-explorer is the best ...?
Or .. do you know a "better" explorer for KFHD7?
Thank you.
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I just checked my Fire HD and it is as I set it up, with all books inside author folders. I use the "ES File Explorer For Cupcake" one, which is in the Amazon App store, and has the green circle on it. If you are using the blue version, that may be the problem. I believe I tried that one and it didn't work.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Should work fine. I don't know if there is some limitations on length of paths and filenames, but I suspect not.

I create and maintain a folder tree, with around 4 000 books, on my NAS, using calibre. Folders for genres mainly.

Then I use the app FolderSync to sync the folder tree to my device over wifi. I mainly use the folders to create "collections" in Mantano, to make it a little easier to find books.

If you want to see the folder tree as you navigate it, you need some file manager that does that. I belive Xplore File Manager is one example, but I suspect there are many more.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-05-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Should work fine. I don't know if there is some limitations on length of paths and filenames, but I suspect not.
I reckon the limitation will be the same as the underlying file system's whatever it may be (FAT32, exFAT, ext3, ext4, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
If you want to see the folder tree as you navigate it, you need some file manager that does that. I belive Xplore File Manager is one example, but I suspect there are many more.
There's an Explorer view in Mantano Reader Premium (not sure about Free and Essentials version) that lets you navigate folders directly. No need to do an import.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-06-2013 at 12:02 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
hlk123
Enthusiast

@booklover6 & @ilovejedd
Amazon Germany told me that Mantano Premium, Aldiko Book Reader Premium, Moon+ Reader Pro don't run on KFHD7.

@Adoby
Xplore File Manager is the right file manager because of "Dual-pane tree view".
But ... it doesn't run on KindleFireHD7.

I've ordered an 7 inches Android tablet with "affiliation" to Google Store.