Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
J Jefferson Farjeon

I have never seen any of J Jefferson Farjeon's 40 or so novels as ebooks. He died in 1955, and due to the vagaries of Australia copyright law, Farjeon's books are now out of copyright in Australia.

I have only ever seen three titles "in the flesh" -- oh well, in the mouldering pulp paper -- and I still have them.

The three that I have read are all quite good, and very atmospheric, crime novels. One in particular intrigued me because it included an Australian character who actually "sounded" right-- not like a cockney, nor with overdone slang ("crikey, cobber, dinkum?", just someone ordinary, but subtley Aussie.

The only other writer I have read recently to manage this is Hiassen, who in Star Island had a character I picked as probably an expat Aussie before Hiassen said so, purely on a few unobtrusive idioms and style.

But that's by the bye. Back to Farjeon.

He's been out of print for many years, as far as I can tell; and deserves a revival. I'm going to re-read my three, and probably, before they finally rot away, scan them into ebook form. For me this is very tedious, as I use a flatbed scanner, one page at a time, without dismantling the books.

All I have to do now, I suppose, is find the heir and current copyright owner, and get the nod to make them available outside Australia.

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 08-31-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Pulpmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
1955 means he'll be out of copyright in Canada, home of MR, too, doesn't it?

I can't say I've ever heard of him.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2015, 03:57 AM   #3
farjeonestate
farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.farjeonestate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
He's been out of print for many years, as far as I can tell; and deserves a revival. I'm going to re-read my three, and probably, before they finally rot away, scan them into ebook form. For me this is very tedious, as I use a flatbed scanner, one page at a time, without dismantling the books.

All I have to do now, I suppose, is find the heir and current copyright owner
Here I am. Since your perspicacious post, the British Library have reissued Mystery in White to some success, and now 2 further titles. The Collins Mystery Club imprint will soon be following suit.
farjeonestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Good news. There's a lot of titles, though! Look forward to seeing them re-appear.
Pulpmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:49 AM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Unfortunately, MR is currently using Swiss copyright rules (life+70) for any new uploads, so he's not PD there or at MR. You could work with PG Canada and Fadedpage.com to upload there.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert