Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
What Are Your Pros And Cons?

What are you Kindle pros and cons? Just curious!
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Pros: light weight
keyboard (great for shopping and notes)
not a touchscreen (not a big fan of touchscreens)
Text to Speech (I don't use it but I like that it is there if I need it)
Easy shopping at a huge bookstore
3G/Wifi (I don't use the browser but I like that it is there as a backup in case)

Cons: ummm none. It does what I want to do and works perfectly.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whats the page turn like? Kobo wifi is a bit slow for me now.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Pros: Amazon has the best book store, Whispersync.

Cons: Bulky, Physical Keyboard, No Thumbnail view,
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Pros: Amazon has the best book store, Whispersync.

Cons: Bulky, Physical Keyboard, No Thumbnail view,
I agree with this. I use my Kindle because I can get some pretty cheap books to read & shopping is easy. Also Amazon is very good when I accidentally purchase a book (happened twice).

BUT I do not like the size, the keyboard (I accidentally hit buttons I don't want to when reading) and the side page turns. I really prefer the ease of my Sony 350 touch screen.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I also have a Sony PRS-350, but prefer the Kindle precisely because of the keyboard. It's much more accurate for selecting text than the Sony's touch screen. I constantly find myself selecting the wrong text on the Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Pro: the integration of all the books on your account with the Kindle and Kindle apps. Very handy.

Also, Amazon's customer service is excellent.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Pros: quick to charge battery,availability of electronic books

Cons: price, simplicity, not touch screen, easily reconized (one of my pals got mugged for their Kindle, anyone heard of getting mugged for a Kobo?)

Which one to buy: examine the below statements and decide which statements best describes you and your needs then buy the reader associated with that statement:

1) I want the simplest reader available - Kobo
2) I want a cheap reader: Kobo
3) I don't want to pay for reader but still want one: Smart phone, download free apps for your phone and read for $0
4) Want Color: Nook Color
5) I want the best functionality: Nook Simple Touch
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Whats the page turn like? Kobo wifi is a bit slow for me now.
The page turn is nice and speedy. From what I ahve read it is faster then the Kobo and about the same speed as the Nook and Sony.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
From what I've read it seems as if Amazon has a great ecosystem of user reviews and selection, their customer service is top notch and there's no ghosting on the device because of a full page refresh on every turn.

What I don't like is the proprietary file extension locking users to the device, the visual clutter of the hardware keyboard that I'd only use about 2% of the time, and the writing on the wall of their Special Offers model means that some time down the road they could release a Kindle model that forces advertisements on users who are, by that point, too heavily invested in said proprietary format to be able to easily switch devices to avoid the marketing.

Note that I don't see it as likely to happen, and am definitely not saying it will, just that for me personally that's my main motivation for looking at other eReaders.
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
Almost everything

They have put a lot of thought into designing a very usuable device. It is easy to look up words in the dictionary. The forward buttons are positioned perfectly.
Of the 3 devices I own, the kindle is the cheapest and the best functioning.

I can think of a few cons. Books with formatted diagrams and tables look better in epub. I can't take my books to one of the competing readers, but the same goes the other way. (I know there are ways to overcome this).
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
MorganM
Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies. I'm saving up to buy a Kindle lol. I have had enough of Kobo's woeful customer service and I feel like I need to take my business somewhere else.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Pros: excellent display, the fastest way to buy books, keyboard, free 3G
Cons: limited formats (only mobi, txt and pdf to certain extend, doesn't support fb2 and epub), does not support folders, limited customization of the text view, limited support of languages other than English
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks
BrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notesBrowseTheStacks can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3 3G + WI-FI
None of the "name brand" readers are bad. Kindle Nook Sony Kobo are all fine readers. Each has there pros and cons. But none are wrong choices. That said I love my Kindle.
BrowseTheStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #15
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
Pro:
- eInk-screen, not bright shiny touchscreen (very eye-friendly)
- Integration to amazon-shop is great, but doesn't limit you in any way when it comes to reading non-amazon content (something we take for granted without really appreciating it)
- Can also play audiobooks and background music, so it can also be used as a small mobile entertainment device
- Real push-button keyboard and ability to write some notes
- Requires only a recharge every couple of weeks
- Simple menu, easy to master
- 3G-connection paid by amazon

Con:
- Extra equipment is a little expensive (like the covers, the recharge cable) - but that's not really a Kindle-problem
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote