Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
Book Designer Difficulty

The mark of a usable piece of software is how many folks are brave enough to wade in and offer support. A difficult bit of software will get few responses, but a good program will have folks lined up to offer assistance and/or defend their favorite.

So, here it is:

In anticipation of the arrival of my Sony Reader, I have been lining up some books to load. I have a variety of books in HTML, LIT, and RTF format which I am attempting to format for the Reader. In all cases, the LRF file which is output is suspiciously small. Where a 1.1 MB HTML file was used for the source, the output LRF is only 16KB! Even minus the cover art, this is small. With the LIT file I opened, I only got the first page to open in book designer. The source file was 450KB. So what am I missing? I suspect there is a simple switch I am not flipping.

Here is the other problem: On the HTML file, there was a link to the cover art JPG. I don't have the JPG, so I get the classic "X" graphic in Book Designer. I figured I'd just select and delete the offending graphic marker, but when I select it, it will never delete. The resulting LRF file has the same "X" graphic in it.

This looks like a pretty comprehensive program, and I'd love to master it. Any assistance out there would be greatly appreciated.
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I've seen that too, I think it's when a LIT file is made up of lots of HTML files and BookDesigner doesn't notice the ones other than the front page, I've used ABC Amber LIT Converter to convert to other formats and then into LRF with BookDesigner, but it doesn't keep the graphics unfortunately, if anyone can prove me wrong I'll be grateful
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMelby View Post
In anticipation of the arrival of my Sony Reader, I have been lining up some books to load. I have a variety of books in HTML, LIT, and RTF format which I am attempting to format for the Reader. In all cases, the LRF file which is output is suspiciously small. Where a 1.1 MB HTML file was used for the source, the output LRF is only 16KB! Even minus the cover art, this is small. With the LIT file I opened, I only got the first page to open in book designer. The source file was 450KB. So what am I missing? I suspect there is a simple switch I am not flipping.
On the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, are you sure you're clicking the "Make" button rather than the "Test" button? "Test" only converts the first few pages, rather than the entire book.

Quote:
Here is the other problem: On the HTML file, there was a link to the cover art JPG. I don't have the JPG, so I get the classic "X" graphic in Book Designer. I figured I'd just select and delete the offending graphic marker, but when I select it, it will never delete. The resulting LRF file has the same "X" graphic in it.
Double click the missing graphic - you'll get the "Insert/Edit Picture" dialog. Click the "Delete" button in this dialog to delete the picture.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
Both counts have been resoved. Thanks Harry and Simond. In the case of the LIT file, I had forgotten to run ConvertLIT (refuse to abrieviate that) to bust it up into pieces.

And deleting the graphic from the graphic options menu worked like a champ.

Standby for more!
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
Converting BAEN books

I am very new to the conversion of books from on format to another. I would like to read a lot of the BAEN books but they need to be converted. I have followed most of the threads for BD and have read that converting from HTML is better than from RTF.

How do you convert books like those from BAEN that are multiple HTML files? How do you get BD to "grab" all of the links?
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
I am very new to the conversion of books from on format to another. I would like to read a lot of the BAEN books but they need to be converted. I have followed most of the threads for BD and have read that converting from HTML is better than from RTF.

How do you convert books like those from BAEN that are multiple HTML files? How do you get BD to "grab" all of the links?
BD does not grab files over the net. The files need to be on your system to start with. Now if you have seperate HTML files and want to put them together, BD does have a book joiner. Just go to the tools menu and select Join Books. It will only join HTML or text formats. I have used it for HTML and it works fine.

What I did for the last Bean book I converted was to use the LIT format version. It's all contained in the one file. BD will load the lit file. Then all I did was clean it up, and done. Cleaning up is suslaly fixing the ToC because BD tents to get this wrong sometimes. But overall it's a fairly simple process. Download the lit file, load it into BD, clean it up, save the BD source, save the LRF, load the LRF onto the reader and read.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've been using BookDesigner converting Baen's offerings from RTF without any trouble. I haven't messed with converting the HTML, however, so I'm afraid I can't be much help to your actual question.

You might look at the HTML2LRF threads ... it seems to me that it handles multiple HTML files ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Now if you have seperate HTML files and want to put them together, BD does have a book joiner. Just go to the tools menu and select Join Books. It will only join HTML or text formats.
Thanks JSWolf, I will give this a try Wednesday.

Quote:
You might look at the HTML2LRF threads ... it seems to me that it handles multiple HTML files
Thanks NatCh, HTML2LRF does handle multiple HTML files. I will try the BD solution as I want to learn only one tool if possible. I do not have a hole lot of time to convert books, so I will consentrate on only one tool.

I appreciate the assistance from both of you.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
LIT2LRF works pretty well for me. Or HTML2LRF with --baen switch.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner