Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 05:38 AM   #226
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantedChanter View Post
I tried a number of Images and updates last week. None of the official boyue updates I could find had an English option, and this is quite a pain since many apps automatically use the system ui language as their own default language. It seems that later official updates disable USB debugging and advanced access too, though there is at least one modified image that is rooted and enables USB and adb. Boyue does seem to have made some useful improvements in the front light settings and perhaps other bug fixes but it may not be worth it.

The other option is a modified onyx c67ml Carta2 image. I found two on baidu, version 1.74 and 1.8 if I'm not mistaken. Both worked quite well and have many language choices. Neither included a built-in play store and I had some trouble getting sideloaded gapps to fully work, but that may have just required more patience or a fresh reboot after flashing.
Did you modify those C67 images, or were they already modified? When I had a Boyue T62+, I installed a C67ML Carta image on it, and it worked quite well. It needed to have build.prop edited so that I could control the frontlight. I wondered if an Onyx C67ML Carta 2 image or update.zip could work with my Boyue T63. I tried once but I couldn't get it to install at all.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #227
SlantedChanter
SlantedChanter began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Did you modify those C67 images, or were they already modified? When I had a Boyue T62+, I installed a C67ML Carta image on it, and it worked quite well. It needed to have build.prop edited so that I could control the frontlight. I wondered if an Onyx C67ML Carta 2 image or update.zip could work with my Boyue T63. I tried once but I couldn't get it to install at all.
I didn't modify the C67ML images for the T63 myself. The two I tried are pre-modified images circulating on Baidu. Modification would definitely be necessary before flashing a C67ML image wouldn't it? And maybe the stock update files won't work since they will try to revert to the standard build.prop?
SlantedChanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #228
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't modify the C67ML images for the T63 myself. The two I tried are pre-modified images circulating on Baidu. Modification would definitely be necessary before flashing a C67ML image wouldn't it? And maybe the stock update files won't work since they will try to revert to the standard build.prop?
This is true.

Let me explain what I had done before. Using this thread, I was able to create a system image from one device (my old Onyx C67 ML) and install it on my Boyue T62+. However, doing that requires that I know the addresses and sizes of the various partitions in each device. I had that info for my old devices; I don't have it for my current ones. So I can't install an Onyx ROM on a Boyue that way.

If you have a link to one of those modified C67ML images, I'd be interested in trying one, just to see how it would work. Does the frontlight control work properly for you? Thanks!
Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #229
SlantedChanter

Quote:
This is true.

Let me explain what I had done before. Using this thread, I was able to create a system image from one device (my old Onyx C67 ML) and install it on my Boyue T62+. However, doing that requires that I know the addresses and sizes of the various partitions in each device. I had that info for my old devices; I don't have it for my current ones. So I can't install an Onyx ROM on a Boyue that way.

If you have a link to one of those modified C67ML images, I'd be interested in trying one, just to see how it would work. Does the frontlight control work properly for you? Thanks!
Here is the file a Taobao vendor sent me directly. The other Chinese-modified images should be in the links earlier in the thread.

I uploaded the two different 1.8 onyx images for the t63, not sure if there are any differences besides size. Also an older onyx image and a modified boyue official firmware that is pre-rooted with adb/debugging acess.

Last edited by SlantedChanter; 04-20-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #230
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Here is the file a Taobao vendor sent me directly. The other Chinese-modified images should be in the links earlier in the thread.

I uploaded the two different 1.8 onyx images for the t63, not sure if there are any differences besides size. Also an older onyx image and a modified boyue official firmware that is pre-rooted with adb/debugging acess.
Thanks. I'll check this out.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #231
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
What's different about this image? Does it have English UI, support adb, is pre-rooted?
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #232
SlantedChanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
What's different about this image? Does it have English UI, support adb, is pre-rooted?
Three of them are versions of the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta2 firmware modified for the T63. They all have support for English and other languages as well. You can easily toggle usb debugging for adb access. Onyx software also has an A2 mode. I would probably try the streamlined version of 1.8 first. I think they are rooted but you may need to install google play manually.

The other image is a modified version of a recent build of the official Boyue firmware. It is rooted and allows adb access. The only language option is Chinese.

Here's my full folder of t63 firmware images.
Link: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1b6zOwm Password: 2ksx

Last edited by SlantedChanter; 04-21-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #233
SlantedChanter

On a different topic, I wondered why some of you prefer the T63 to the Onyx Boox C67ML+. Is it the flat screen, more compact design, dimmer light for night reading, or something else?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #234
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
On a different topic, I wondered why some of you prefer the T63 to the Onyx Boox C67ML+. Is it the flat screen, more compact design, dimmer light for night reading, or something else?
Since I have both, I'll share how my preference has evolved.

A few months ago, I would have said that I definitely preferred the Boyue T63. Main reasons? Better battery life and a much larger user app partition. At the time, the C67 series had only 339MB for user apps. Since Play Store and Play Services live there, that didn't leave a lot of room for other apps.

However, the 1.8.1 Onyx firmware changed that. My C67ML Carta 2 now has over 750MB of space for user apps - not quite as much as the 1GB in the Boyue, but plenty for my needs. This change has narrowed the gap between the two, for me. So has Onyx's Neo Reader 2.0. Better than the Boyue stock reader apps.

Now, I would list my feelings about the two devices this way:

The T63: Pros: Longer battery life, large user app partition, flush screen, quality feel.
Cons: Somewhat quirky/buggy firmware

The C67ML Carta2: Pros: Slightly lighter than the T63, sufficiently large user app partition (with 1.8.1), better firmware/stock reader apps, greater range in frontlight brightness, better contrast
Cons: Less battery life than the T63

Given all that, my preference is shifting to the C67, except when I want the better battery life.

I will try to find one of those modified C67 images from your link (I've only found the modified, rooted T63 image so far) to see how it might work on the T63.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #235
SlantedChanter

Quote:
Since I have both, I'll share how my preference has evolved.
I will try to find one of those modified C67 images from your link (I've only found the modified, rooted T63 image so far) to see how it might work on the T63.
Thanks for the detailed run-down!

Can the C67ML get sufficiently dim in the dark?

Last edited by SlantedChanter; 04-21-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #236
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed run-down!

Can the C67ML get sufficiently dim in the dark?

Thanks for this link. I've downloaded one of the modified C67 image files for the T63. I haven't tried installing it yet. Would I need the RKBatch Tool or will it just install automatically when I put it in /sdcard/ on the T63?

As for the C67ML frontlight, I can turn it down quite low, or turn it off entirely.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #237
SlantedChanter

I used androidtool to flash different images but I think the RKbatch tool may work also. Only update zip files will install automatically from the SDcard as far as I know. Be very careful about flashing images since you can brick your device if you flash the wrong one.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:07 AM   #238
igguk1
igguk1 began at the beginning.

Device: t63
Hi new boyue owner just received It yesterday and did not have much time to tinker with it, one problem I am getting is that is seems to freeze when entering a deep sleep state, it comes from banggood is it normal? Is there another way of waking up the device that does not involve the power button? Should I try a refund already?
@SlantedChanter out of all your listed roms which one is the best in your opinion?
igguk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #239
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by igguk1 View Post
Hi new boyue owner just received It yesterday and did not have much time to tinker with it, one problem I am getting is that is seems to freeze when entering a deep sleep state, it comes from banggood is it normal? Is there another way of waking up the device that does not involve the power button? Should I try a refund already?
@SlantedChanter out of all your listed roms which one is the best in your opinion?
Had the opposite problem -- without power off timer enabled it would freeze and drain battery. With the power off time it works great, but takes quite a bit of time to start up.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #240
igguk1
igguk1 began at the beginning.

Device: t63
stangri I believe you are describing the same problem that I have...
If i don't allow the device to shutdown I am getting freezes... it does not wake up from the sleeping mode.
igguk1 is offline   Reply With Quote