Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 03-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
barn_owl
barn_owl began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3, Smartphone
Question Alternative to Calibre Companion (non WIFI-based)?

Hello everyone =)

I've used Calibre Companion on my smartphone for a while now and it is a really great app. I love that it shows all the custumn columns and it really helps me to keep track if/when I read a book.

Sadly with our buggy WIFI at home the wireless connection with calibre often fails or gets disconnected shortly after the booklist began loading. Sometimes it 'only' takes a few tries to get the metadata synced or new books on my phone, sometimes it won't work even then and I can only try again at a later time. It is really frustrating and takes so much time, I could be reading instead.

So what I would like to find (but weren't able to myself) is an app for Android, that I can use on my phone, that has basically the same functions as CC, but is able to find/display books, that I sent to my phone using a cable connection.

Does anyone know anything similar that I just haven't managed to find?
barn_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Why not fix the WiFi issue that makes it "buggy?" A new router perhaps?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Or just a cheap extended, booster close to 2here younl8k3 to use the phone

Or send books via usb and use a reader with a decent shelf, library system
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #4
barn_owl
barn_owl began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3, Smartphone
Well great, I just wrote an answer, but needed to long and was logged out and now it is lost So, from the beginning again

Quote:
Mainly because it only really is a problem with CC. Everything else works fine. I really don't have the money right now to buy a new router. And assumedly an app (if there were one) would cost up to 10€, it would be at least twice that much for a new router, even if I'd buy a cheap one. Also the router belongs to our internet provider and we are "officially" required to use that one with the original cabling they provided (). So we never really looked into that.

Quote:
Or just a cheap extended, booster close to 2here younl8k3 to use the phone
That is something I might do. I will ask around if someone has one and would be willing to lend it to me, so I can test if it helps before buying. I hadn't even thought about that option.
But I don't know what you mean with "2here younl8k3"? Is that a typo or something? Because I have no idea what that might mean and google didn't find any matches aside from your post

Quote:
Or send books via usb and use a reader with a decent shelf, library system
Yeah, I will do that, if I don't get it to work reliably. The library system on my reader is actually really good and I already use Moon+ Reader Pro on my phone in combination with CC.
As I use a lot of custumn columns I just hoped there might be an alternative that would display them and allow to search them. But as you both directly suggested to fix the WIFI-problem, I suppose there really isn't and it isn't just a matter of me not finding it.:

Thank you for your quick answers :
barn_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
There used to be other similar apps which copy books from cloud storage. Search play store. I had one once but the developer stopped maintaining it
Or put the books in Dropbox, g drive or pcloud , then use the free cloud storage apps to choose individual files hen needed. I would now avoid Dropbox because of the new silly three device limit but pcloud is free and works well.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by barn_owl View Post
But I don't know what you mean with "2here younl8k3"? Is that a typo or something? Because I have no idea what that might mean and google didn't find any matches aside from your post
At a WEG, "where you like" so it should have read "close to where you like to use the phone". The 2, 3 and 8 are just above the w, e and i keys on my keyboard and the n is just above the space bar.

Takes me back to a Christmas job at the post office trying to decipher what someone meant when they wrote the To: address.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by barn_owl View Post
Sadly with our buggy WIFI at home the wireless connection with calibre often fails or gets disconnected shortly after the booklist began loading.

I find this to usually be caused by devices going to sleep and loosing the wifi connection. Try to change the sleep time on your device out to an hour then connect to CC and see if it makes a difference. You can always change the setting back to 2 minutes after you are done with CC.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote