Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
rgtrys
rgtrys began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
Unhappy Can't delete books on ebookwise! Help please!

Hi all,

Okay, I caved and bought a 128mb card and loaded books on using filamentbooks. NOW, it won't let me delete books OR retain bookmarks. When I go into bookshelf it says 0% free! Is there ANY way for me to fix this without reformatting the card? Loading 128mb takes time and I really don't want to have to...

Thanks lots in advance,
Rose

OKAY!!! So now I am going from bad to worse. I managed to find a cardreader, THOUGHT I switched the reader off, but obviously didn't and now I am just getting a blank lit up screen!! %*(&%$% SO! I have looked for the firmware but all links no longer works. From all I have read,it looks like I need to load firmware onto a card, then load it and start ereader? Help this poor blithering idiot please?!

Last edited by rgtrys; 03-24-2011 at 11:09 AM.
rgtrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Okay, first...I can't answer your question about how to fix it. But we have an eBookwise guru on this list and I'm sure he'll pop in and help you out.

Second, once you're up and running, something to keep in mind is that the eBookwise will take those little IMP files and unpack them on your SmartMedia card or internal memory. It requires approximately twice the size of the book to do that unpack (I always assume that's because the IMP file is still on the card while it's unpacking, at least for a little while).

When I had an eBookwise, I usually loaded it up leaving about 5MG space first. Then, as I had room, added another book or two at a time till it was full without being OVER full.

What I mean by OVER full is, if you use just about every free KB of space, you won't have room to make any notes or bookmarks because there's no place left to save them.

Unlike the newer readers, the use of the eBookwise memory is either-or. If you have a card in, it's working entirely off the card. It doesn't see the internal memory or books.

I hope that helps, for after Nick helps you out! Good luck.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtrys View Post
Hi all,

Okay, I caved and bought a 128mb card and loaded books on using filamentbooks. NOW, it won't let me delete books OR retain bookmarks. When I go into bookshelf it says 0% free! Is there ANY way for me to fix this without reformatting the card? Loading 128mb takes time and I really don't want to have to...

Thanks lots in advance,
Rose
For future reference, just so that you know, when displaying the EWW1150 main Bookshelf, the little round icon in front of the ebook title can be tapped/clicked. When you do so, it should then open up a screen showing more information about that title. Also, at the bottom of that screen should be an icon labelled "Remove book" to allow you to delete that one book. Repeat for all the ebooks you need to delete...

Quote:
OKAY!!! So now I am going from bad to worse. I managed to find a cardreader, THOUGHT I switched the reader off, but obviously didn't and now I am just getting a blank lit up screen!! %*(&%$% SO!
I can try to help you "revive" the EBW150 if it's not damaged or in "grid mode". Grid mode refers to the presence of graph paper lines throughoutt the screen when on and is an indication of a damaged firmware. It was very common with the EBW1150's predecessor, the REB1100. It WAS usually caused by removing the SmartMedia card while the unit was still on. It's rare that the EBW1150 encounters this mode, so hopefully your unit is not such afflicted. For more info about the EBW1150, be sure to check out our EBookwise-1150.

First off, do you have an EBW1150 with or without the 64MB internal storage (the without models come only with 8MB internal storage and thus requiring an external SM card for your expanded reading pleasure...)?

There is a reset pin hole underneath the rubber external storage flap where the SM card is. It has the word 'RESET' embossed into the plastic housing. Try first without the SM card, so while your reader is on, insert a paper clip or needle to reset your unit. If that doesn't help, then turn off the unit and then hold down the page down button on the front of the unit and while still holding it down press the power button to enable a hidden menu in the 'Info' screen. After the unit is on, tap the ebook guy/logo at the top-left of the touchscreen just outside the LCD lit screen. Then tap the 'info' icon and then the 'more' button. This open another 'more' below and tap that second 'more' button.

You have choices, namely, to reset your unit to wipe the registration details (the 'refurbish' button) or wipe the internal memory (the 'erase internal' button). If you see these, try the first, then the other to see if you can get your EBW1150 working again.

If you cannot see any bookshelf/menu items, then you may have damaged firmware that needs files on a SM card. Try emailing eBook Technologies (namely Garth Conboy at gc@ebooktechnologies.com) for that support!

Quote:
I have looked for the firmware but all links no longer works. From all I have read,it looks like I need to load firmware onto a card, then load it and start ereader? Help this poor blithering idiot please?!
EBW1150 firmware files are not available in the public domain and must be gotten from eBook Technologies. Other users on this forum have received these directly from eBook Technologies, so hopefully those members can assist further...

Good luck!

p.s. FizzyWater has given you great advice to follow, ONCE you get that ebook reader healthy again...

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-27-2011 at 08:18 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote