Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
I just discovered that when a new file is created by Xournal, it won't be visible until the files are reindexed. Is there any way to force a reindexing without resetting?
I will post a new version shortly that can so this, the code was already in the old version, but due to firmware changes I had to disable it.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #17
DanDR1000
DanDR1000 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Hi Marcel,

good, that you work together. I have a problem, merging a larger PDF (about 70MB). Its a scanned book. When choosing merging annotations, it takes some time, then I have to refresh by pressing the Menu-Button or another key, the save as pdf dialogue appears, refreshes two times and then xournal closes. No way to press the save-button. With other files it worked, xournal saves and stays open with an empty page.

Is there a solution for this problem?
Thanks
Daniel

PS: tjdeans suggestions would be helpful.
DanDR1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #18
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDR1000 View Post
Hi Marcel,

good, that you work together. I have a problem, merging a larger PDF (about 70MB). Its a scanned book. When choosing merging annotations, it takes some time, then I have to refresh by pressing the Menu-Button or another key, the save as pdf dialogue appears, refreshes two times and then xournal closes. No way to press the save-button. With other files it worked, xournal saves and stays open with an empty page.

Is there a solution for this problem?
Thanks
Daniel

PS: tjdeans suggestions would be helpful.
Hi Daniel,

I think that the problem you see with scanned books is the same problem that tjdean256 sees with Acrobat9 files. Did you already try the 0.2 version (I used another thread so I can keep updating the first message with new updates.)

The new version will probably not crash anymore, but generate some useless pdf files that are completely empty (black). There seems to be a problem with these kind of files, also in the original Xournal files. It is on my todo list, but out of my current knowledge area.

W.r.t. the suggestion of tdjean and the newly created files, also check version 0.2 in which they should appear after they are created.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
DanDR1000
DanDR1000 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Thank you, I tried the 0.2 Version, but it did behave in the same way. Xournal closed after the save as dialogue appeared. Refresh of the new files works now!

The merging worked for a smaller file (5MB) also a Scan (but I think, I created it with Acrobat 8). The failed file was 70MB big with 214 pages also created with Acr8.

Hope there will come a solution...Thanks
Daniel
DanDR1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:09 AM   #20
mleentje
(e)bookworm
mleentje began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, DR1000S, Kindle 3, BB Curve
Hi,
After having hesitated for months, I installed the Beta softaware 2.0 and xournal. It seems to work fine but taking notes is difficult because of the delay between writing en seeing the text. When writing the text only appears when I'm already three lines further.
That kind of notetaking is a bit difficult. Using the program on the DR1000S there is no such delay.

Are you guys still working on Xournal for the DX1000S and the beta 2.0 software? I would like to solve this problem but I do no know how.

As iRex went bankrupt, I realise the iRex DR1000S is a dying specimen but I suppose that there are still a lot of them being used. It is still the only 10.2 "professional" (e-ink) reader around.
mleentje is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #21
Mackx
Guru

Hi mleentje,

Please use the xournal version that was specifically created for the 2.0Beta software. You can find it in this thread.
Xournal does not work as good under 2.0Beta then it used to work under 1.7 (see below). However the delay should not be that big. There could be two reasons: 1) you are still using the xournal version for R1.7.1; 2) You did not yet enable the Options->Experimental Update (use Options->Save Preferences to make the change permanent).

I am currently busy with creating hacks for the firmware to add extra functionality, after that I want to have a closer look at xournal again. After enabling the Experimental Update, the display is doing a full-refresh too fast, leading to some delay after pausing for 1 second. Maybe I can 'borrow' some code form the NotePad application to make it behave better, although due to the code-structure of xournal that will not be easy.

I am curious, what is your reason for using xournal and not the build-in NotePad program?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #22
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Ability to amend, annotate and export to PDF is why I use your version journal Mack

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #23
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Me too
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #24
mleentje
(e)bookworm

Me too. Thanks for the quick response. I' am using the 2.0 update. I'll give it a closer look at the office tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #25
mleentje
(e)bookworm

Problem solved. I did not enable 0ptions/Expiremental Update. Thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #26
wemaho
Nameless Being

I am really impressed with Xournal.

Apart from the advantages mentioned already, it also allowed me to read a scanned PDF-book because I can zoom it the way I need it (the native reader zoomed too much, making the page run off the screen).

Mackx, your software really improves the usability of my IRex reader, thank you!
Old 10-29-2010, 02:00 AM   #27
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemaho View Post
Mackx, your software really improves the usability of my IRex reader, thank you!
I only ported the program to the DR, most of the work has been done by Denis Auroux, the author and maintainer of xournal, see here.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #28
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
xstroke ?

Hi Marcel,

If I may, I have two questions and you seem to be the right person to ask.

1) Are you aware of any work done on porting xstroke for the Iliad or the DR's or are there hardware limitations?

2) Is there an ocr program out there that might be capable of transforming the output of xournal into text (assuming the handwriting is more or less readable) ?

Thanks,
G
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #29
Mackx
Guru

Hi Glenn,

I was not aware of xstoke, I build a simular mechanism for the sudoko program that I wrote for the DR. I have not looked into detail into the tool, maybe I will use it in the future.
Did you have a particular use in your mind?

I am not using any OCR program myself, so I can not give any advice on that question. I have added some code to xournal that can export annotations in a specific format which was needed for an OCR program (I do not remember which it was) menu: 'Export Scribbles to IRX'.

Are there other forum members that do have experience with OCR software in combination with the DR?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #30
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Yes. MyScript Studio Notes edition translates the .IRX files to text quite well. I paid 90 USD for it. The key to making it work well is leaving enough space between the lines so letters with tails don't overlap with the line beneath.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote