Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #106
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottken View Post
Free at Barnes & Noble.com right now:

The Retribution (Tony Hill and Carol Jordan Series #7) [NOOK Book]
by Val McDermid

I've actually been dying to read a Val McDermid book since seeing Wire in the Blood, and am sort of shocked to see one of these -- released in 2012 no less -- showing up for free.
It's their Free Friday offering this week gotta say it's better than their usual fare thanks for posting
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #107
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Also amazed to see The Retribution for free. It is currently $11 at Amazon. Thanks!
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #108
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Bone Blind by Abigail Padgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
This title is free on Amazon US today (the author's Bo Bradley series was previously trad pubbed)
Thanks a bunch! It's also free on Amazon DE:
http://www.amazon.de/Bone-Blind-eboo...8240852&sr=8-1

I really like Padgett, I read her Bo Bradley series years ago and can heartily recommend it. I hope this one is as good.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #109
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottken View Post
Free at Barnes & Noble.com right now:

The Retribution (Tony Hill and Carol Jordan Series #7) [NOOK Book]
by Val McDermid

Publishers Weekly
The return of serial killer Jacko Vance drives McDermid’s superb seventh novel featuring Dr. Tony Hill and Det. Chief Insp. Carol Jordan of the Bradfield police (after 2010’s Fever of the Bone). Vance, the charming TV talk show host responsible for murdering 17 teenage girls in 1997’s The Wire in the Blood, manages to escape from prison just as Carol and her team are on the brink of disbanding at the behest of a new chief superintendent.

I've actually been dying to read a Val McDermid book since seeing Wire in the Blood, and am sort of shocked to see one of these -- released in 2012 no less -- showing up for free.
Awesome deal. I can't believe this is free.

The books are much better than the show.

NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #110
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
OMG - LMAO. I hope they are, too.
I bought all of the ones I didn't already have too! I vaguely remember reading one (I think) in DTB and being okay with it. I also read a couple of the samples, and they seemed not too bad, so I gambled.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #111
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another Michael A. Smith freebie - The Inheritors (The Jeremiah Trilogy).

Quote:
Jeremiah the Terrorist Prophet has developed a genetically engineered, virulent variation of the flu virus, and found the perfect delivery vehicle--the hundreds of millions of migratory birds that circle the globe each year. His followers, including dissident military units and sympathizers from all around the world, have received a vaccine and stand ready to reestablish Eden after the "earthly garden" is weeded. God ordained the apocalypse in his Revelation to Jeremiah. The Prophet tries to recruit his two adult sons to the effort, but they have strong ties to the terrorist's archenemies, Steve Wallace and Laura Delaney. The action is fast and furious in this conclusion to the Jeremiah Trilogy, a ripped-from-the-headlines look at all aspects of terrorism in our time.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #112
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I bought all of the ones I didn't already have too! I vaguely remember reading one (I think) in DTB and being okay with it. I also read a couple of the samples, and they seemed not too bad, so I gambled.
Hmmm - I guess I better hurry up and read my freebie and see if I should get all these, too.

Y'all are such a bad influence!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #113
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
FREE at Amazon:

A Diamond Before You Die (Neal Rafferty New Orleans Mystery - #2) - Chris Wiltz

Amazon US---Amazon UK

-This book was previously published by Mysterious Press in 1988.

-The author has also been published by Macmillan, Dutton Adult (Penguin), etc.

-Book #1 was free in June.

Quote:
"Wiltz brings a refreshing individual outlook to the formula of hard-boiled detective fiction"--Washington Post

"A tangle of corrupt politics...A hot affair"--Publishers Weekly

Would-be district attorney Richard Cotton has hired private detective Neal Rafferty to keep tabs on his wife. His wife, Paula Cotton, has hired the cool and classy Lee Diamond to keep tabs on her husband. It’s almost Mardi Gras in New Orleans and when the masks go on they hide a multitude of sins. Like bribery, corruption and drug-running—not to mention Richard Cotton’s particular secret. And when the bodies start showing, Rafferty realizes that adultery is not the name of the game. In the gentleman’s city of New Orleans, all things eventually settle into the Mississippi River mud. It’s a question of what stays buried.
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #114
kg3
Guru
kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kg3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, etc
This is FREE again:

Amazon US---Amazon UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg3 View Post
FREE at Amazon US:

Lee Killough Special Edition - Omnibus includes 3 Books in The Gareth Mikaelian Mystery Series - Lee Killough [Paranormal/Police Procedural]

The 3 books are:

-Blood Hunt - Originally published by Tor in 1987
-Bloodlinks - Originally published by Tor in 1988
-Blood Games - Originally published by Meisha Merlin Publishing in 2001

-Author has been published by Daw, Ballantine, Tor, Del Rey, etc.
kg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #115
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
As a long-time US reader of UK police procedurals, I've seen more references to "The Sweeney" than I can count, but never got to see the show. Looks like now I can read the book, though!
Free on Amazon:

The Sweeney 2: The Manhattan File by Ian Kennedy Martin

Jack Regan is sent to New York on the trail of an international plot involving millions in missing American military hardware. As usual Jack Regan's talent for extreme action means confrontation with the NYPD, the FBI, the CIA and organised crime, and also a mysterious and willing woman.

This is the second of three Sweeney novels published at the time of the original series. The others are: ‘The Sweeney: Regan’, and ‘The Sweeney 3: The Deal of the Century’.

Ian Kennedy Martin is the creator of Thames Television’s enormously popular TV series.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #116
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
Bone Blind by Abigail Padgett

Thanks a bunch! It's also free on Amazon DE:
http://www.amazon.de/Bone-Blind-eboo...8240852&sr=8-1

I really like Padgett, I read her Bo Bradley series years ago and can heartily recommend it. I hope this one is as good.
FYI - Padgett has also been offering the individual Bo Bradley books as freebies every once in a while. Think I may actually have the full set now - just not sure when they'll hit the top of the TBR stack!
You may want to add them to an ereaderiq wishlist if you're interested in picking them up again...
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #117
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
No Bells (Rocky Bluff P.D. #8) by F.M. Meredith (Published by Oak Tree Press) is free today.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Bells-Rocky...N%3DB007ZFV4CG
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #118
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
As a long-time US reader of UK police procedurals, I've seen more references to "The Sweeney" than I can count, but never got to see the show. Looks like now I can read the book, though!
Free on Amazon:

The Sweeney 2: The Manhattan File by Ian Kennedy Martin

Jack Regan is sent to New York on the trail of an international plot involving millions in missing American military hardware. As usual Jack Regan's talent for extreme action means confrontation with the NYPD, the FBI, the CIA and organised crime, and also a mysterious and willing woman.

This is the second of three Sweeney novels published at the time of the original series. The others are: ‘The Sweeney: Regan’, and ‘The Sweeney 3: The Deal of the Century’.

Ian Kennedy Martin is the creator of Thames Television’s enormously popular TV series.
More info about this from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The series was created by writer Ian Kennedy Martin, brother of the better-known Troy Kennedy Martin who contributed several episodes and wrote the second film. It was born from a one-off drama, entitled Regan, which Ian Kennedy Martin wrote for Thames Television's Armchair Cinema series of standalone films in 1974. The part of Regan was specifically written for Thaw, by a friend of Kennedy Martin with whom he had worked on Redcap.

From the very beginning, the show was seen as having series potential. After Regan scored highly in the ratings, work began on the development of the series proper. Ian Kennedy Martin's ideas for the series were for it to be partially studio-based, with more dialogue and less action but producer Ted Childs disagreed with this, and Ian Kennedy Martin reluctantly parted company with the project.

The Sweeney was the first really modern police-based series on British television. Previously, most dramas featuring the police had shied away from showing "coppers" as fallible human beings... They were brutal and violent in dealing with London's hardened criminals, and prone to cutting corners and bending laws. The series showed a somewhat more realistic side of the police, which often had a disregard for authority, rules and the "system", as long it got the job done. Until The Sweeney, this had been a subject largely whitewashed by British television.

It was a fast-paced edge-of-your-seat action series, depicting the Squad's relentless battle against armed robbery; but it nevertheless included a substantial degree of humour. For the time, it had a high degree of graphic on-screen violence and the episodes had a high number of on-screen deaths.

A total of nine books were written and released in 1977 published by Futura Publications Ltd.

The Sweeney
Regan and the Manhattan File
Regan and the Deal of the Century
Regan and the Lebanese Shipment
Regan and the Human Pipeline
Regan and the Bent Stripper
Regan and the Snout Who Cried Wolf
Regan and the Venetian Virgin
Regan and the High Rollers

The first three books were authored by Ian Kennedy Martin, the rest by Joe Balham. The plots of the books are not taken from any of the television episodes; overall, the tone of the books differ somewhat from the television series in that Regan is usually depicted as working alone, and his relationship with Carter is distinctly unfriendly
The Sweeney

He has this to say about the books at his website:

Quote:
Owning the book rights of the series I created, the Sweeney, there was an agreement with the tv company that I would not alter the format of the series in writing the three novels. Another writer under a pseudonym wrote a further four. So I penned those novels under certain constraints but despite this they had a stand alone existence published in the USA and other places where the tv programme was not sold.
http://www.iankennedymartin.com/page2.htm
Old 09-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #119
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg3 View Post
FREE at Amazon:

A Diamond Before You Die (Neal Rafferty New Orleans Mystery - #2) - Chris Wiltz
This looks good - thanks!

ETA Omnimystery News is reporting the publisher is offering all the books in the series for free this month:

Quote:
In addition to the above, Kindle editions of the Neal Rafferty New Orleans mysteries by Chris Wiltz will be available for free on a rotating basis …

• A Diamond Before You Die (September 21st and 22nd)
• The Killing Circle (September 23rd and 24th)
• The Emerald Lizard (September 25th and 26th)
• Shoot the Money (September 27th and 28th)

… with the author's stand-alone novel, Glass House, free to download on September 29th and 30th.
They also report several other Premier Publishing titles are being discounted until the end of the month at Amazon and Apple from $1.49 to $2.99. Here's a link to their Amazon books:

Premier Digital Publishing.

Last edited by NightBird; 09-22-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #120
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
FYI - Padgett has also been offering the individual Bo Bradley books as freebies every once in a while. Think I may actually have the full set now - just not sure when they'll hit the top of the TBR stack!
You may want to add them to an ereaderiq wishlist if you're interested in picking them up again...
The first in the series, Child of Silence, is still free.

Quote:
Spoiler:
First in the award-winning Bo Bradley mystery series, CHILD OF SILENCE introduces the much-loved sleuth whose big heart and quirky wit help her deal with both an impossible job and a psychiatric disorder her Irish grandmother called "the sight." An amateur artist, Bo would rather be painting, but when a child is in danger she risks everything, even her life.

Thirty miles east of San Diego, in the dusty heart of the California high desert, lies the Barona Ranch Indian Reservation. This is desolate country, marked by lone pines, winding canyons, and granite hills. It is here that the boy was found, tied to a mattress in an abandoned mountain shack.

The case is assigned to Bo Bradley, a child abuse investigator with San Diego’s juvenile court system. It is meaningful job, and it pays for Bo’s few indulgences, like her books on Indian lore and the huge canvasses for her paintings, based on ancient Native American rock drawings.

Bo takes her profession seriously, and she abides by its cardinal rule; never get involved with the child-victim. This has not always been easy for a sensitive woman whose emotions ride perilously close to the surface. Now, with this four-year-old boy, it proves impossible.

He is a non-Indian who calls himself Weppo, and he has been classified as mentally impaired, making him a high risk for abuse. But something in Weppo’s intense gleaming gaze strikes a deep chord in Bo. She knows that look. In the eyes of her late, deaf sister, she has seen it before. Weppo is not at all impaired; he is deaf.

Inspired by this new knowledge, Bo sets out to interview the Paiute mystic, the woman they call “Seize the Dark,” who found the boy. Driving along pine scented trails into the Indian country she so loves, Bo feels as if a strange force is leading her onward, an intuition that builds when she meets “Seize the Dark” and the old crone confides that “spirits” led her to Weppo; “I saw the boy with blood on his mouth.”

After visiting the shack, Bo wonders, had the deaf child been tied up because there was no other way of saying “Stay here. I’ll be back”? An inner voice tells her as much. And she knows she must listen, for it also tells her that Weppo is in great danger.

A poisoned-tipped bullet soon proves the point–as two thugs break into the hospital and attempt to murder the boy. Pushed beyond the point of no return and into a dangerous manic state, Bo bends the rules and swings into action.

Risking personal involvement and professional ruin at the hands of her by-the-book supervisor, she vows to unearth the truth surrounding this child of silence. It is a mission that will take her from the ancient sands of the California desert to the gilded mansions of Houston’s political set and back, as Bo Bradley mounts a desperate struggle to save Weppo–and herself–from certain death.