Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
rhetorical
rhetorical began at the beginning.

Device: none
Using a Kindle as a daily photo calendar

I have been thinking about purchasing a Kindle (probably a Kindle 4) to use in a photo frame project. I was hoping someone could offer advice on a good starting approach.

The project concept:
Use a library of photos as a daily image calendar. Take a photo from a directory, and overlay it with text for today's date, and a short message (eg Good morning). Change the photo every day.

My initial thought was to do this with a Raspberry Pi as a VNC server, and leave it running with a photo slideshow, but this sounds terribly inefficient.

My next idea is to use the Pi to do the image processing (scrape the web for cool photos, apply an overlay, save it as a single picture), and pass that to the Kindle. What would be the best way to display this picture? Does the Kindle support FTP in addition to SSH over USB? If so, it should be simple to set up a cron job to pass a new photo to a screensaver program every 24 hours, unless I'm missing something.

I am reasonably proficient with Python and Linux development (bash scripting, C).
rhetorical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Take a look at this
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhetorical View Post
- - - - -
If so, it should be simple to set up a cron job to pass a new photo to a screensaver program every 24 hours, unless I'm missing something.
- - - - -
cron is a computer program.
so you have to have a computer running but the Kindle goes to sleep.
I.E: No cpu running, no cron (nor ssh nor ...)
See the link posted in the reply above.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:06 AM   #4
lucasmpr
Enthusiast
lucasmpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Take a look at weblaunch.

It can do what you want. You'll just make an HTML page and load fullscreen.
Every day you make an ajax request for the new image. Or you can setup a start stop the application every day and load the new image....
lucasmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
rhetorical
rhetorical began at the beginning.

Device: none
That repository was more or less exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much. My next question would be can I do this with the 7th generation Paper White? Looking at the jailbreak thread I would think yes, but I want to make sure.

Also when I make the image, should I grayscale it first, or export just the colored image to the Kindle? Does the built in system process for displaying graphics grayscale, or would it be displayed in monochrome?

Again, thank you for the help and sorry if I'm asking questions that frequently appear.
rhetorical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Any of the touchscreen devices running the 5.x series of firmware.
(Plus the K4)

Look for all the image details you need in the screensavers thread/project.

Just pay for the help you receive by answering those questions of other people which you can.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote