Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Award-Winning selection will win the April runoff?
A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow 7 53.85%
The Light of Day by Eric Ambler 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I completely disagree, Jon. But then, we often disagree.
True, we do. I don't know if The Light of Day will make a good discussion. But I'm willing to take the risk. Also, it's supposed to be a classic.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just wondering the same thing, Dazrin. The best part is, either one of these should be a good read. I've already gone ahead and gotten the one I didn't have, the Eric Ambler. But I'm hoping for the Dana Stabenow, if only to introduce the series to some new people.

Check out her blog today - picture of a cabin similar to the one Kate homesteads in. Much smaller and more rustic than it's easy for a city wimp like me to quite conceive of.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #18
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Well that was close.

I like to see that there were 4 people who voted in the runner-up poll that didn't vote at all in the previous round.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And we have a loser. We don't have a winner because the book that should have won lost.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm just glad I didn't have to cast the deciding vote.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My library has four Dana Stabenow titles available. Two are ebooks, two are audiobook, and not one of them is A Cold Day for Murder. Curses!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

On the plus side, I seem to have snagged it last month when it was a "first look" prime member freebie. Cheers!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #23
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My library has four Dana Stabenow titles available. Two are ebooks, two are audiobook, and not one of them is A Cold Day for Murder. Curses!
It is free on her website too, so access this month shouldn't really be an issue.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:59 AM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On the plus side, I seem to have snagged it last month when it was a "first look" prime member freebie. Cheers!
It's free on her web site (see the link in the first post.)

As for Audio, if you have the Amazon book, it's a WhisperSync title for $1.99. Or ping me in email.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #25
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
/cheer

I went for the free option and CRussel's description/support made A Cold Day for Murder look interesting. I look forward to discussing with y'all.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
/cheer

I went for the free option and CRussel's description/support made A Cold Day for Murder look interesting. I look forward to discussing with y'all.
So it's your fault the wrong book won. Free does not always mean better.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #27
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Free does not always mean better.
While true that sometimes free isn't always better, this is a very good book and the implication that is is a "bad" book is not at all true.

Also, there is no call to blame someone for your choice not winning. Even if Kansaskyle hadn't voted for it it would have been a tie (and WT Sharpe didn't vote for the other book in the first round....)
Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I'm just glad I didn't have to cast the deciding vote.
We keep hoping to force you into that. But so far, not since I've been participating, at least. Ah, well, maybe next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
It is free on her website too, so access this month shouldn't really be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
/cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So it's your fault the wrong book won. Free does not always mean better.
No, but let's really try to avoid pejoratives. We're all here to read some good books, and discuss them. Free does have the virtue of not locking anyone out, though I agree it's not an indicator of quality. Expensive, however, while also not a quality metric is a barrier. Fortunately, this month none of the options was hugely overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
While true that sometimes free isn't always better, this is a very good book and the implication that is is a "bad" book is not at all true.

Also, there is no call to blame someone for your choice not winning. Even if Kansaskyle hadn't voted for it it would have been a tie (and WT Sharpe didn't vote for the other book in the first round....)
Hear him. And especially since it could as easily have been issybird that cast the critical vote. I didn't see which one came in last.

We were fortunate this month - we had an excellent slate in the original voting (four that I was quite willing to read and discuss), and the final runoff let us choose between two promising books, both of which I've now bought the eBook and Audible books for and intend to read (or re-read). I have nothing bad to say about the Eric Ambler book - I expect it to be an excellent read. But if the read and discussion gets even one more person hooked on Dana Stabenow, then it's a win. (And yes, I've already pre-ordered her 21st book in this series, due out in May. So I guess I count as hooked, certainly.)

Finally, a reminder -- you'll get another chance at the Eric Ambler book in January.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
We were fortunate this month - we had an excellent slate in the original voting (four that I was quite willing to read and discuss), and the final runoff let us choose between two promising books, both of which I've now bought the eBook and Audible books for and intend to read (or re-read). I have nothing bad to say about the Eric Ambler book - I expect it to be an excellent read. But if the read and discussion gets even one more person hooked on Dana Stabenow, then it's a win. (And yes, I've already pre-ordered her 21st book in this series, due out in May. So I guess I count as hooked, certainly.)

Finally, a reminder -- you'll get another chance at the Eric Ambler book in January.
Whew! I'm so glad we're not reading the Ambler this month!! I just abandoned it at 50%. Not working for me at all, even though I can see why it was a success as a movie.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Whew! I'm so glad we're not reading the Ambler this month!! I just abandoned it at 50%. Not working for me at all, even though I can see why it was a success as a movie.
I haven't tried it, but I think there's always a danger with genre fiction in particular. As it ages, does it go classic or just dated? I thought the more modern option in the run-off was a better choice for that reason alone.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote