Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
andyd
andyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
App that can write / save to ssd?

I'm currently using Moon+ Reader on my tablet. I need to be able to highlight lines on books I read but I'm unable to do this with Moon+ if the books are located on the SD card. Wondering if there are any other apps I can use that would allow me to save any changes to the sd card.

I have little left on the tablet for storage so I really would like to get around this limitation if possbile
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
I'm currently using Moon+ Reader on my tablet. I need to be able to highlight lines on books I read but I'm unable to do this with Moon+ if the books are located on the SD card. Wondering if there are any other apps I can use that would allow me to save any changes to the sd card.

I have little left on the tablet for storage so I really would like to get around this limitation if possbile
Most important question: what version of Android are you running?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
andyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Most important question: what version of Android are you running?
Good question - Marshmellow / 6.0
Old 01-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
How is your SD card formatted? It can be data or media but not both. This has been driving Marshmallow users nuts since MM came out. (I use it)

Since you want to keep highlights, that sounds like rewriting might be data with Moon.
Does Moon have a website you can check? I have books on mine, but mine is media only, I just read, I don't highlight so almost any reader works.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Android 6 has a procedure when the card is set to data to allow apps you specify to write to the external SD. The problem is that procedure never seems to work the same way twice and I often have to play with it quite a bit to get it to finally take. My old phone didn't have an external card. My new one does. Both are Android 6. I played with Moon+ to get it to work with the SD card on the new one and I think it's working but I don't really save enough notes to be sure it will do that. Actually I'm not sure I've saved any notes on it. It does keep my place though so I think it's working. I currently only have my old phone handy so I can't test that at the moment.

That said, I have made a number of apps work with the SD card both on my phone and my Android 6 tablets and each and every time it's been a fight and when I finally got it working I was never really sure how I did it. So my suggestion is just fight it till you win. This is without a doubt the single dumbest thing ever implemented on Android.

By the way, another option is to set your device to use the card as internal storage. I can't do that because I have a Samsung and they don't allow that option. I wish I could. I think most other brands do support it. That would mean, of course, the card has to stay in place in your device. You can't remove it and read it on another device. But it should eliminate the problem you're having.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 12:45 AM   #6
andyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
How is your SD card formatted? It can be data or media but not both. This has been driving Marshmallow users nuts since MM came out. (I use it)

Since you want to keep highlights, that sounds like rewriting might be data with Moon.
Does Moon have a website you can check? I have books on mine, but mine is media only, I just read, I don't highlight so almost any reader works.
Do you mean adopted or not? Samsung doesn't allow for adopted storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Android 6 has a procedure when the card is set to data to allow apps you specify to write to the external SD. The problem is that procedure never seems to work the same way twice and I often have to play with it quite a bit to get it to finally take. My old phone didn't have an external card. My new one does. Both are Android 6. I played with Moon+ to get it to work with the SD card on the new one and I think it's working but I don't really save enough notes to be sure it will do that. Actually I'm not sure I've saved any notes on it. It does keep my place though so I think it's working. I currently only have my old phone handy so I can't test that at the moment.

That said, I have made a number of apps work with the SD card both on my phone and my Android 6 tablets and each and every time it's been a fight and when I finally got it working I was never really sure how I did it. So my suggestion is just fight it till you win. This is without a doubt the single dumbest thing ever implemented on Android.

By the way, another option is to set your device to use the card as internal storage. I can't do that because I have a Samsung and they don't allow that option. I wish I could. I think most other brands do support it. That would mean, of course, the card has to stay in place in your device. You can't remove it and read it on another device. But it should eliminate the problem you're having.

Barry
Yeah, I read about the issue with Samsung. But is this really the fault of Android / Google or the developer?

For example, Xodo has no problems reading and editing pdfs from the sd card. If Xodo is able to, I can't imagine why Moon+ wouldn't be able to
Old 02-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The way it works is that built-in apps can write to the external SD and installed apps need permission. The problem is that the permission granting process is overly complex and unreliable.

If you have an installed app that has no problem writing to an external SD not set to internal memory there are some other factors at play. That's not the normal situation with Android 6 and much of Android 5. I forget just which version began this. I think it was 5.something.

I have about 9 devices with external cards that have issues. The only ones that don't have these issues are early Android 5 devices that never got updated. Once I make an app work with the SD it works from then on. Sometimes I can't make it work. Maybe half the time I can.

It's simply a badly implemented feature.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #8
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Has to be Google. I have a Motorola, have seen complaints from others who use cards.
Now all seem to be trying to do away with cards.

The last Samsung I had was so annoying, I rooted it. That was a couple of years ago

Here's some of the problem:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...ite-to-sd-card
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:08 AM   #9
kevin34
kevin34 began at the beginning.

Device: none
You can try this "App2SD", it will make you more easily manage these files and move them to the sd card.
kevin34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #10
MobileFinder
MobileFinder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile write / save to ssd App

There is no app available for this.
MobileFinder is offline   Reply With Quote