Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #271
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
<snip>
CORRECTION: I double-checked my math. Spending 5 minutes for a $9.79 book actually would be like making $117.48 per hour ($9.79 x 12 (number of 5-minute increments in an hour))!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Survey took me 5 seconds (I don't blog, so that's why it probably ended after the first page). So I made over $700 an hour there!
I'm poor at math, but something didn't sound right. So I triple-checked the calculations.

Okay, you made $9.79 for 5 seconds' work. There are 12 5-second segments in a minute. So, that means that you made $117.48 per minute (12 x $9.79). There are 60 minutes in an hour. So, you actually made $7,048.80 ($117.48 x 60) per hour!

Congratulations! That's huge. Or, as Donald Trump calls it--pocket change.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-02-2016 at 03:42 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #272
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Um, well, yes .... but even 12x60 copies of the ebook still won't buy me even lunch, let alone pay the mortgage.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #273
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Doh! I used to be good at math too. But then, I was correct in that it was over $700.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #274
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Doh! I used to be good at math too. But then, I was correct in that it was over $700.
Good comeback.

One more statistic. If you want to work an 8-hour day finding and doing surveys every 5 seconds, all that you have to do is find and complete 5,760 surveys during that time. My recommendation: keep your day job.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #275
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

John R.W. Stott's Understanding the Bible--Now 86% Off of the Digital List Price!

I try to hold high standards for my book posts. One of those standards is to try not to post a book that I know has been marked down before. Well, I am going to violate that policy with this post--this book has been marked down before.

In fact, I purchased it when it was marked down before. Only I paid $2.99, instead of 99 cents. I hate it when that happens But the fact of the matter is, it works the other way a lot, too--an ebook that I buy is signiicantly cheaper than it was during a previous markdown. The fact that it is marked down so much now (86% of the digital list price!) is the reason that I'm making an exception to my policy.

Understanding the Bible ("Rev Sub edition"). By John R.W. Stott. Rated 4.7 stars, from 26 reviews at Amazon at the present moment. Print list price $14.99; digital list price $6.99; Kindle price now $0.99. Zondervan, publisher. 224 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Understanding.../dp/B004OR176G.

Book Description
This book answers foundational questions: Who wrote the Bible? What is its message? Why is it thought to be a "holy" book? How does one read and interpret it? Best of all, though, you'll broaden your vision of Jesus Christ, the focal point of Scripture. How? By better understanding the geographical, religious, and historical concerns that shaped the world in which he lived. You'll see Jesus as never before: both as a man of his times and culture, and as the culmination of a divine providence that prepared the way for the ministry of the Messiah. Written by renowned preacher, writer, and apologist John Stott, this new, expanded edition includes - Questions at the beginning of each chapter to help you focus - New, up-to-date maps for the chapters on history and geography - An index to help you speedily access areas of interest.
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #276
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Understanding the Bible ("Rev Sub edition"). By John R.W. Stott. Rated 4.7 stars, from 26 reviews at Amazon at the present moment. Print list price $14.99; digital list price $6.99; Kindle price now $0.99. Zondervan, publisher. 224 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Understanding.../dp/B004OR176G.

Book Description
This book answers foundational questions: Who wrote the Bible? What is its message? Why is it thought to be a "holy" book? How does one read and interpret it? Best of all, though, you'll broaden your vision of Jesus Christ, the focal point of Scripture. How? By better understanding the geographical, religious, and historical concerns that shaped the world in which he lived. You'll see Jesus as never before: both as a man of his times and culture, and as the culmination of a divine providence that prepared the way for the ministry of the Messiah. Written by renowned preacher, writer, and apologist John Stott, this new, expanded edition includes - Questions at the beginning of each chapter to help you focus - New, up-to-date maps for the chapters on history and geography - An index to help you speedily access areas of interest.
for posting!
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #277
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Complete a One Minute Survey, Get a FREE Valuable Digital Book.

Answer three questions from Logos Bible Software, that you can probably accomplish in 1 minute or less, and you can get your choice of one free digital book. The survey should take a minute or less, because the questions require almost zero thinking in order to answer them.

You might be thinking, "But, I don't use Logos Bible Software." Not to worry, the books will also run on several other Faithlife (the parent company of Logos) platforms, including the Vyrso app and the web-based Biblia. I think that I noticed several other apps that you can install and use to run Logos books, also.

This webpage is the one that Logos sent me to. I completed the survey, got my book, and tried the URL on a different browser and I still got the survey. So, I don't think that the URL is tied to my particular account. However, you may be locked out if you don't have an account with one of the Faithlife companies. If you are locked out from doing the survey, try setting up an account with one of them first. If you're still locked out, let me know in the open forum and I will see if I can come up with a workaround.

Here are the choices of books:
The Bible in Its Ancient Context: 23 Fresh Insights.
Excellent Preaching: Proclaiming the Gospel in its Context and Ours.
Moment with God: A Devotional on Every Biblical Book.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-11-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #278
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
The Hebraic Roots Bible all formats is free.

http://www.coyhwh.com/en/bibleDownloadKindle.php

This bible version is almost the same as reading the original writings IMHO.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #279
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Interesting
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #280
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post

More free downloads from the same church: coyhwh.com/en/books.php
I hope that the Hebraic Roots Bible is an accurate translation. Ideally, a version of the Bible would be produced by a committee, with representatives from a wide variety of faiths, to help prevent denominational doctrines from slipping in under the guise of "translating the Bible." Another troubling aspect is that the author states that he is neither an Hebrew nor Aramaic scholar.

When I opened to Genesis 1, one thing immediately stood out. The word for "God" is left untranslated ("Elohim"). I didn't read enough to say for sure, but it is very likely that the author went ahead and left the word for "Lord" (i.e., master) untranslated ("Adonai"), and the personal name of God, YHWH, left that way, too.

That feature could be helpful. However, other translations, ones made by a committee of people who are scholars and experts in their respective fields (linguists, Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, whatever), usually, if not always, make a distinction, in their particular way, in the English text for the different Hebrew words for God. For example, the New American Standard Version consistently translates Elohim as "God," Adonai (lord, master) as "Lord" (note that the last three letters are in the lower case), and the personal name of God, YWHW, as "LORD" (note that all of the letters are in the upper case). There is an exception that they make when Adonai ("Lord") and YWHW ("LORD") are in close proximity to each other, but I've forgotten the details now.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-20-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #281
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post

The author claims that this is a translation from the Hebrew OT and Syriac NT, but his translation actually matches the Greek in places that I know the Syriac Peshitta differs. So, either he didn't actually translate it from Syriac, or he made verses that differ conform to the Greek. In either case, I'm not sure what the point would be.
  • In Matthew 26:52, the Greek reads "...take the sword..." (singular). The Peshitta reads "...take swords..." (plural). This version retains the singular.
  • The phrase in Matthew 27:46 that begins with "that is..." doesn't appear in the Syriac. It appears in this version.
  • Romans 12:19 reads "I will repay" in both the Greek and this version. The Peshitta reads "I will execute judgement."
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #282
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, his introduction lays out his thinking and approach. He has very definite ideas.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #283
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
I guess I should have read the introduction. I apparently read "translation" and "based on" a little more literally than was intended.

Quote:
When putting together this Hebraic Roots Bible, I took the Peshitta text for the New Testament and its translation by several predominant scholars, such as George Lamsa, Murdock, Paul Yonan, Janet M. Magiera, and compared passages from both the Khabouris Codex, and from Gabriel Roth’s Ruach Qadim book. In checking with these various Aramaic translations of the Peshitta text, I also closely compared them to the Greek translation and prayerfully tried to give a literal translation of what the original intent was of each books writer from the original language and circumstances. I do believe that the Greek translation helped much in this regard.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #284
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I just made a lengthy post, intended for this thread, and somehow it has disappeared.

It could be that I posted it on the wrong thread but, if so, I can't find it.

So, this is an APB--if you find the post, would you please let me know where it is? Or, if rules permit, just move it to this thread.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #285
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

New NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible. Print List Price $89.99; Kindle Now $3.99!

$3.99. Price good through the 28th.

NIV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture Kindle Edition. Craig S. Keener; John H. Walton (Editors).

A massive, 2400 pages. Highly rated. #1 seller in three Kindle store categories at the present moment. Referred to as a "Special ed. edition"--unknown what that means.

Almost brand spankin' new--published for the first time just this past August. Newness is important when dealing with Bible backgrounds because of how rapidly knowledge is increasing in that area.

Print list price $89.99!

Amazon.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 11-26-2016 at 12:22 AM.