Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 04:14 AM   #1
wxkingcisc
wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Oasis
KUAL problem on 5.9.4 - KOA ver. 1

I have a KOA ver.1 and upgraded it to 5.9.4, then reinstalled KUAL but it gave me blank screen, after several times of uninstall/reinstall I made a mistake: I deleted the KUAL booklet,then tried to install KUAL again, but the booklet never appears.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...highlight=kual
this artical gives a solution to the KUAL blank screen issue, I tried to run "runme.sh" before and after uninstall/reinstall KUAL but still the booklet is nowhere to be found.

I tried with the latest version of MRPI and KUAL on this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

anyone here can help me with this? many thanks in advance!
wxkingcisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) "runme.sh" <<-- wrong
make a file named 'RUNME.sh' on the root of your USB drive with this contents ( name needs that capitalization )

2) Make sure there are no windows newlines in the file
File must use Unix line endings.

3) How are you running the file?

4) What appears on the screen when you enter the command?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
wxkingcisc
wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1) "runme.sh" <<-- wrong
make a file named 'RUNME.sh' on the root of your USB drive with this contents ( name needs that capitalization )

2) Make sure there are no windows newlines in the file
File must use Unix line endings.

3) How are you running the file?

4) What appears on the screen when you enter the command?
1) the file name is "RUNME.sh"

2) I created the file on a Linux VM and copied to kindle, the file ending should be fine, below is the output of "cat -A RUNME.sh" on Linux:

#!/bin/sh$
# mount system$
mntroot rw $
# remove bad kualbooklet jar$
rm "/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar" $
# install my test jar$
cp "/mnt/us/KUALBooklet.jar" "/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar"$

3) I tried to run the file with ";log runme" and ";log RUNME" in search bar

4) nothing happens after I enter the command in search bar, and I waited about 5 seconds before restart kindle

Last edited by wxkingcisc; 03-29-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What are all of those $ characters?
Please use the code, /code tags (or the "advanced editor") to quote character exact code here.

Note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jail break
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
If your device has installed an Amazon firmware update since the last time you did that, that means you.

= = = = =

If you do need to re-install anything, start by installing the 'fix anything fixable' package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
That package is built specially to allow it to be installed from the highest level of visible USB storage using the Amazon 'update' menu entry. That is, you don't have to put it in /mrpackages and use MrPI to install it.

Last edited by knc1; 03-30-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
wxkingcisc

Quote:
What are all of those $ characters?
Please use the code, /code tags (or the "advanced editor") to quote character exact code here.

Note:

If your device has installed an Amazon firmware update since the last time you did that, that means you.

= = = = =

If you do need to re-install anything, start by installing the 'fix anything fixable' package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
That package is built specially to allow it to be installed from the highest level of visible USB storage using the Amazon 'update' menu entry. That is, you don't have to put it in /mrpackages and use MrPI to install it.
I believe those $ characters are UNIX line endings, since I used ":set ff=unix" in VIM to make sure of it. It's the outpuf of "cat -A", everything of the file is displayed.

Code:
cat -A RUNME.sh 
#!/bin/sh$
# mount system$
mntroot rw$
# remove bad kualbooklet jar$
rm "/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar"$
# install my test jar$
cp "/mnt/us/KUALBooklet.jar" "/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar"$
I copied the "fix everything" .bin file to kindle and updated the system, re-installed KUAL, then run "RUNME.sh" with ";log runme", restarted kindle, but still cannot find the booklet
Old 04-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

VIM?
Real programmers use:
copy con filename.exe

Try cut and paste.

Note:
When using a *nix program editor, on *nix, you don't have to set any option to get *nix EoL.
Those programs will default to the correct line ending for the system they are build to run on.

= = = =

Have you installed the booklet version of KUAL?
What is in the MrPI log file after attempting to install the booklet version of KUAL?
(don't cat -A the file, post it as an attachment, use: man cat to find out what -A does to cat)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
wxkingcisc

Quote:
VIM?
Real programmers use:
copy con filename.exe

Try cut and paste.

Note:
When using a *nix program editor, on *nix, you don't have to set any option to get *nix EoL.
Those programs will default to the correct line ending for the system they are build to run on.

= = = =

Have you installed the booklet version of KUAL?
What is in the MrPI log file after attempting to install the booklet version of KUAL?
(don't cat -A the file, post it as an attachment, use: man cat to find out what -A does to cat)
I'm not a programmer, I just have some very basic Linux knowledge, since RUNME.sh is required to have UNIX line endings so I created RUNME.sh on a Linux VM with VIM and copied it to the root directory of kindle (usb drive).

I tried to install booklet version of KUAL many times, attached zip file contains MRPI log file and RUNME.sh.
Attached Files
File Type: zip log and runme.zip (679 Bytes, 130 views)
Old 04-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

It installed just fine, please describe your problem again.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:29 AM   #9
wxkingcisc

Quote:
It installed just fine, please describe your problem again.
After upgraded kindle to 5.9.4, I reinstalled KUAL but the booklet gave me blank screen, after several times of uninstall/reinstall I deleted the booklet (like delete a book in library), after that I tried to install KUAL (booklet version) and run RUNME.sh, but the booklet cannot be found in the library.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

You keep writing "booklet" and yet you are sometimes combining that with actions only appropriate to the "document" version.
Please include the complete filenames in your description.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #11
wxkingcisc

Quote:
You keep writing "booklet" and yet you are sometimes combining that with actions only appropriate to the "document" version.
Please include the complete filenames in your description.
With all due respect, I did NOTHING "only appropriate to the "document" version". I have a KPW3 and a KOA so I know what "document" and "booklet" version means. I may not be able to describe the problem very percisely since I'm nither a programmer nor hacker, by saying "deleted the booklet" I mean I deleted the icon with text "KUAL" on it from the library, like deleting a book. Then no matter what I do the "KUAL" icon never appears. You can delete the "KUAL" icon from your KOA library if you don't mind to try.

I tried to install/uninstall KUAL booklet version many times and run RUNME.sh many times and KUAL is nowhere to be found. Then I installed usbnet and connected to KOA with SecureCRT, then I found this:

Code:
[root@kindle root]# ls -al /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/ | grep KUAL
-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root         65952 Apr 10 16:42 KUALBooklet.jar
-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root         65952 Apr 8 15:31 KUALBooklet.jar?
I deleted both of these 2 files with "rm", reinstalled KUAL (copy "Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.2_install.bin" into folder "mrpackage" and run ";log mrpi"), then did this (with usbnet via wifi):
Code:
rm "/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar"
cp "/mnt/us/KUALBooklet.jar" "/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar"
This "KUALBooklet.jar" file comes along with RUNME.sh so it should be the right one, but after restart kindle the "KUAL" icon is still not in the library.

I don't know how to fix this and I'm tired of trying. I have no rights to request anyone to help me, but please don't tell me that "this works for everyone so it's your problem". No matter how long you've done computer related jobs and how much you're familiar with this, there're always things you don't know. Yeah I've read this from another post but I'm not as lucky as the other guy who resolved this with Putty.

I respect you as much as other contributors on this forum, thanks for your help anyway.

Last edited by wxkingcisc; 04-10-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Re-read the script or the greeting message when you first log into the Kindle.
Notice that the root of the file system is set to read-only until you change it, and you never post that you changed it.

- - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by You posed
I deleted both of these 2 files with "rm", reinstalled KUAL (copy "Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.2_install.bin" into folder "mrpackage" and run ";log mrpi"), then did this (with usbnet via wifi):
Guess what?
The package name is in the form of an: "update_*.bin" package.
You do not un-install those with "rm" ("rm" is what you use with the document version, not the booklet version).
For "update_*_install.bin" packages, you must use the "update_*_uninstall.bin" package.

So your only problem is not following directions.
Eventually, you will either figure out that you are the source of your technical problems or just give up and follow the directions.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #13
wxkingcisc

Quote:
Re-read the script or the greeting message when you first log into the Kindle.
Notice that the root of the file system is set to read-only until you change it, and you never post that you changed it.

- - - -

Guess what?
The package name is in the form of an: "update_*.bin" package.
You do not un-install those with "rm" ("rm" is what you use with the document version, not the booklet version).
For "update_*_install.bin" packages, you must use the "update_*_uninstall.bin" package.

So your only problem is not following directions.
Eventually, you will either figure out that you are the source of your technical problems or just give up and follow the directions.
1. I did use "mntroot rw" before I remove those 2 files.

2. I didn't mean to "uninstall" the package with "rm". RUNME.sh shows very clearly that the "old" KUALBooklet.jar should be replaced with the "new" one which comes along with RUNME.sh, so I did exactly what RUNME.sh should do, after install KUAL booklet version.

I believe I did follow those directions.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Good, then you don't have a problem.

It is very difficult to give you specific advice when you keep significant information to yourself.

Let us know if you ever figure out what your problem is, if you think you still have one.