Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
frankenbooks
Banned
frankenbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
"Frankenbooks?"

FRANKENBOOKS: a humorous and catchy new term
for e-books, ibooks, ireaders and e-readers. Part humor, part serious, part cautionary tale, part satire, part fun, all in the spirit of give and take, since
''device readers'' and e-books are here to stay, and "frankenbooks" will play a big part in our future lives, they already are!

PS: This is not a troll post or a sockpuppet post. The person posting this is a serious student of current issues, pro and con, looking all both sides now, to quote Judy Collins, and with no dog in this fight, as I own no shares in any company. Just something to think about and ponder, and again, let me emphasize, please, just a humour, we all need some humor in our lives, no matter how we spell. Will the "Frankenbooks" term catch on? Pob not, but maybe as snarky headline humor...

Last edited by frankenbooks; 07-07-2010 at 11:38 PM.
frankenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I assume there's a point to this, but I'm not getting it. An incomprehensible post, strangely formatted, with odd grammar, by a person who uses terms like "device readers" and talks about himself in the third person.

I'm really missing something here.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Methinks perhaps, a language translation issue. I don't understand either.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I'm with you, Worldwalker. I assume frankenbooks is in the pro-frankenbooks camp, and I dare say, he/he/it may be hawking something, but seems to lack the linguistic tools to do so properly.

Personally, I would interpret the term “frankenbooks” to refer to an (as yet unrealized) publishing venture in which the user would obtain some of the content from a dead-tree formatted publication, some from an eReader, and/or a website and/or an audiobook.
Francis Chan seems to be attempting this with Crazy Love which book has many references to the above website.
It could also be the next comedy blockbuster from Mel Brooks. It could be the next "SpaceBalls!"

Last edited by Poppa1956; 07-08-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: I'll take door #3, Monty!
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Methinks perhaps, a language translation issue. I don't understand either.
Just the latest sock pocket from Dan Bloom, a person who is permanently banned from MobileRead, but creates new identities every week or so to try and get around it. Unfortunately for him he always gives himself away because of his obsession with making up silly words for things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just the latest sock pocket from Dan Bloom, a person who is permanently banned from MobileRead, but creates new identities every week or so to try and get around it. Unfortunately for him he always gives himself away because of his obsession with making up silly words for things.
So maybe "an obsession with making up silly words for things" could be called a "danbloom"?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LOL .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
So, if I start to make silly words for things, I'd be banned?

I'd better not start using the word lisseeauuse then...

(sorry, couldn't resist )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #9
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Well, the concept is not without merit. Reading some book recensions which praise the book saying "it's like if Novel X, Novel Y and Novel Z meet up and make love" makes you think immediately of the old monster, made from pieces of other people. A real Frankenbook.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
So maybe "an obsession with making up silly words for things" could be called a "danbloom"?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=29

(The last part of the post.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Ugh.

I see where Dan got the term Frankenbooks-- from none other than Alan Kaufman, who has-- apparently-- shifted from calling ebook supporters Nazis to calling us the Taliban. Don't know the source for the quote (nothing I can google up yet) but here it is.

(Edited to add-- wow-- it looks like Dan has taken an excerpt from a Kaufman essay already mentioned here back in December and edited it to include himself. Stay classy, Dan!)

http://zippy1300.blogspot.com/2010/0...-of-books.html

Hi-tech corporate destruction of books and book culture: The Coming of the Digipocalypse, Digitstein and Frankenbooks
Alan Kaufman writes:

It's no coincidence that the three authors in America who have stood up to sound the alarm about the Hi-Tech corporate destruction of books and book culture, Danny Bloom, a blogger in Taiwan, Sherman Alexie, a Native American, and myself, are sons of idealists and dreamers.

No other authors have stood up to vocally protest what is happening to the book in our society: a fact that I anticipate will some day consign a good many writers to a less than proud place in the history of letters. Only Bloom and Alexie and I have taken taken an unequivocal stand against the book's future. Otherwise, the writers, and our representative organizations, as well as a majority of the publishers, have bowed, shamefully, to Hi-Tech and corporate market pressures, or stand silent, as the Brave New Bookless World unfolds Not for them Kenneth Patchen's vow, made in one of his poems, to: “ fiercely defend the things I love.” I accuse them all of collusion in the death of the book.

Bloom's views, and Alexie's views, and even more so mine, appear to baffle a large number of people. I cannot speak for Bloom or Alexie, but I have spent a lifetime in consideration of this.

Today's Hi-Tech Taliban are mobilizing to decimate the economic base of print publishing, while at the same time destroying the validity of the book as a sacred cultural artifact and finally, seeking, by any and all means, not only to gain control of our reading matter but to violate the act of reading itself, the very ways in which we read. All this sets my nerve ends a-tingle with Frankenbook signs and warnings.

Last edited by ardeegee; 07-08-2010 at 07:42 AM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Sadly, since 'Frankenstein' was a warning of the dangers of new technologies, I don't think this is a useful term.

Think of 'Frankenfood' to describe genetically modified vegetables. The term is rather more likely to make one think of the disastrous consequences of scientists meddling in an eco-system they don't understand, than a technology that might help solve global famine.

The word is intrinsically packed full of negative connotations, so is not a useful way to refer to the devices.

What's wrong with 'e-book', anyway?

Edit - oh, well, as Ardeegee has shown with some digging, OP is fully aware of the value of the term as a 'weasel word'.

Hi-Tech Taliban - lolwut?

Last edited by Richey79; 07-08-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
He will be back in/as "Bride of Frankenbooks."

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
We've been Bloomed? C'mon fellow, there is plenty of other precedent language. Why not hyperstack? Why the need to not only come up with a new word but also one that expresses FUD?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
"Sacred cultural artifact"?

It's a book. It's got words in it. It's no more sacred than a DVD, or a 45 rpm record, or a floppy disc, or any other way of recording information. Someone better not tell this fellow what's happened to punch cards.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote