Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
Adamastorx
Connoisseur
Adamastorx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
How to uninstall freekindle

I'm just curious... What if I want to uninstall freekindle hack, leaving no trace, can I do that?
Adamastorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #17
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastorx View Post
I'm just curious... What if I want to uninstall freekindle hack, leaving no trace, can I do that?
I haven't written an uninstaller.

With the new version, it only creates one file...

And with the new packager I'm currently finishing up, you won't even need to install freekindle anymore...
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

New version, no need to jailbreak anymore

Hi there...

Well, curiosity got the better of me (and gone is my night of sleep).

And here is version 0.5 of the Kindle packager; almost fully rewritten.
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/packager-0.5.tar.gz

What's new:
*Can now create packages for the Kindle 2 International that will install properly, even without having installed the previous freekindle package.

For that use the -k2iex flag.
-k2i will still generate packages requiring the freekindle package to have been installed first.

I suspect that developers would use the -k2i for testing (with the freekindle package installed), and when they are 100% confident and ready for release, us the -k2iex.

*Do not leave junk behind (like .dat, .sig files etc)... We now only use temporary files that get automatically deleted...

All other packages (usbnetwork, screen saver hack, savory) got repackaged using -k2iex : so installation is now much easier.

Last edited by jyavenard; 11-03-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: updated version with uninstaller
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #19
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamastorx View Post
Hi...

I updated the packager version 0.5, it now contains an uninstaller for the freekindle library
Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
Lo_Pan
Lo_Pan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2 international
how come the OTA packages dont successfully install on boot/recovery?

i have had a brief look, and it appears that the kindle just jumps into runlevel 3 if it detects an FC package, and from what i see of the scripts it is using, the packages from jyavenard should work...

am i missing something?

(yes i am aware that the "correct" method is to update from settings, but that's not what i'm talking about)
Lo_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #21
jyavenard
Zealot

I only had a very quick look, but it seems that the update script running in level 3 is looking for an update file called :
update-ota-system*.bin

yet, it enters that code if it finds any update_xxx.bin file...
it's 2AM and only spent 5 minutes on this...

try renaming the update file and see where it takes you...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
Lo_Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
I only had a very quick look, but it seems that the update script running in level 3 is looking for an update file called :
update-ota-system*.bin

yet, it enters that code if it finds any update_xxx.bin file...
it's 2AM and only spent 5 minutes on this...

try renaming the update file and see where it takes you...
yep, i have already tried that. i grabbed all of the hashing checks and ran them against your files, and they work... im pretty sure that it is rejecting before it even gets to the checks though, as there are a few "update progress bar" function calls which don't appear to get drawn.

2am here too... melbourne...

---edit

i always get error 0003, which i believe is an image md5 mismatch, so perhaps it is using something else entirely, and not runlevel 3...

Last edited by Lo_Pan; 11-03-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #23
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Any update on this issue?
It would be very nice to have Kindle recovery mode working again.
How do you mount the recovery mode partition?
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #24
jyavenard
Zealot

I'll have a shot at this on the week-end...

BlogKindle, would be worth updating your blog and simplifying the instructions on how to install packages on the Kindle 2i
Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #25
Lo_Pan

yeah i'll give it another shot on the weekend as well, provided i dont get too hammered at a bucks night i'm going to.

do you guys irc? would be handy to talk to you there instead of just on forums.

Last edited by Lo_Pan; 09-03-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #26
jyavenard
Zealot

I'm pretty convinced that the upgrade performed in recovery mode or after a reboot isn't performed by the standard linux kernel we all have access to ; more likely by a boot loader of some kind..

Without a console access it's going to be hard to get into it.

The standard update , done when you select Upgrade in the Settings screen, is done in initlevel = 3 .. What was suggested earlier as such isn't correct.
the /etc/rc3.d/S50update script is the one doing the usual update; it isn't used when doing a recovery mode one.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #27
Lo_Pan

i'm pretty convinced as well, i've run all of the update scripts manually against your packages and they work fine.

blogkindle is the only guy i've heard of who tried to serial console his k2i, and apparently it ended badly. have been tossing up trying.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #28
jyavenard
Zealot

The official Kindle 2 package available here : http://www.amazon.com/update_kindle2.bin

Do they install in recovery mode or after a reboot ?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #29
Lo_Pan

unsure, but the k2iex packages do not install during either.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo_Pan View Post
unsure, but the k2iex packages do not install during either.
How is that any relevant to the question or even the problem at hand?

Assuming the stuff doesn't install in recovery mode because of the way it's packaged ; why do you think repackaging something with -k2iex would suddenly work?

And even simply trying a system update for a Kindle 2 on a Kindle 2 ; what a sure way of bricking your device... And Kindle 2 package aren't signed ; so they would never work on a K2i to start with