Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 10-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
SylvanKnight
SylvanKnight began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
[Help Request] Installing 'Hello World' plugin for testing purposes

Hello all. I'm new to the Calibre Plugin world, and am looking for help and advice. I wrote a python script that I'd like to turn into a plugin that runs on_postimport. I downloaded and installed the helloworld_plugin.zip from the 'Write Your Own Plugin' page, and it shows up in the interface, but doesn't fire on file conversion. Even running in debug, I see the plugin add in, but not execute on conversions. I'm sure I'm doing something simple very wrong, but not sure what. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
SylvanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:38 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

Moved to the Development forum

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2022, 10:00 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the hello world is a user interface plugin, you want to create a filetype plugin instead. Look at any one of the existing filetype plugins for an example.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #4
SylvanKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the hello world is a user interface plugin, you want to create a filetype plugin instead. Look at any one of the existing filetype plugins for an example.
Isn't hello world a filetype plugin?

class HelloWorld(FileTypePlugin)
Old 10-16-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Depends on what you are referring to. If you mean the sample code under "Anatomy of a calibre plugin" then yes its a filetype plugin. The actual sample plugin is in interface_demo.zip and is a user interface plugin.

As for why it wont run rememebr that filetype plugins run only on specific filetypes. the sample code IIRC is for epub and mobi. so it will run only if conversion results in one of those formats.
Advert
Old 10-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #6
SylvanKnight

I was referring to the "Anatomy of a calibre plugin" version. I tried conversions into the file types, and from one of them into the other and it never triggered. I messed with the minimum version and file types more and finally got it to trigger. Not sure which it was, but I have it working now.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Also, thanks for the work you do for the program and the community. I've used Calibre for a long time and am very grateful for everything you've done. Have a good day
Old 10-16-2022, 09:49 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You're welcome, glad you got it working.