Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Babster
Babster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Which version of MS Reader?

Hi, new to the MobileRead forums and I have a noob-type question. Got my PRS-505 last week, and have been doing a bunch of research here on how to convert other formats to lrf so I can stock up for a merchant ship stint I have coming up.

a) Do I actually have to have MS Reader installed to convert LITs to lfr if I buy them at places like Fictionwise or whatever?

b) If I do need it, which version should I get? Microsoft is touting a new version of MS Reader (Optimized for Origami™)

Edit: link here (sorry)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Will this be fine for the LIT to lrf conversion process, or is this a version so new it will screw up the works (because of a new protection scheme or something - you know how these "upgrade" things are).

Thanks!

Bruce

Last edited by Babster; 01-19-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: add link
Babster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I use the current version they offer from the MS Reader area of microsoft.com which is 2.1.1 and it works fine.
http://www.microsoft.com/reader/downloads/pc.mspx

Sorry, I know nothing about the version you posted (version 2.6.1)

Yes you do need it. You need an activated copy of MS Reader and Internet Explorer to download DRM'd LIT files. Then you need ConvertLit to break the DRM on those files before you can covert them to LRF.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Babster
Babster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
That's exactly what I was asking. It just wasn't clear from what I had read whether you actually had to have it installed or not for the DRM files. I didn't want to mess things up by using the "wrong" or "too new" of a version.

Thanks!
Babster is offline   Reply With Quote