Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #46
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
A compromise between the real estate of bigger ones and the portability of smaller ones.
Or, what do you mean exactly?
Yes but 10.3 inch isn't really portable, too.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #47
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
It all depends on what you want to do with it. In my "work" backpack, I sometimes take my laptop, and most of the time I add my iPad and Kobo - iPad for quick internet access (much faster than waking up the laptop and looking for wifi), and Kobo for a few minutes of reading in the bus. A 10 inch eink reader would not be a problem in this setting, and would double as PDF reader, so to me it would be quite portable.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #48
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I am wondering what customer field do want a 10.3 inch device?
The 10.3" size hits the sweet spot between too small and too big, and as an added plus is 4:3.

I own a 6" Boox i62HD which hasn't seen much use since i bought it because it is simply too small for the PDF material i usually read. This year i finally bought a 8" Boox i86 which is almost there, and is thus heavily used, but it still is a bit too small for comfortably reading certain scientific papers in PDF.

A 13.3" device is way too large for most reading material while a 10.3" device would be not as bulky but would rather be a perfect match for scientific articles in PDF both in resolution and shell size.

I tried a N96 before but sent it back because the resolution was way too coarse in relation to the display size. 150 dpi is virtually useless for reading if you want to maintain proper page layout of scientific papers in PDF. No, i don't care about other document formats.

Now if only they wouldn't try to turn these reading devices into tablet style gadgets but would rather enhance their reading and text management capabilities. Multitasking and parallel referencing of multiple documents would be much more interesting than anything else. The current software provided on Boox devices still leave lots to desire, unfortunately.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #49
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
If the specs were decent and it performed well, and if it were significantly cheaper than a 13.3" device, then I could see it doing quite well.

At 10.3", it would be quite portable compared to a 13.3" device. Although perhaps not ideal, the screen size would allow it to work sufficiently well for most PDFs and comics. It would also be a sufficient size for sketching and taking notes...

It all comes down to cost and performance. But, if they can get those two factors right, there could be a huge demand for it as i don't see the larger models coming down in price any time soon.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:45 AM   #50
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
A 13.3" device is way too large for most reading material while a 10.3" device would be not as bulky but would rather be a perfect match for scientific articles in PDF
How can 13.3'' be too large? If you state - and I agree - that 10.3'' is adequate for PDF, well 13.3'' is just double. So, 2 pages vs 1 page = paradisiac jumping on fields in springtime in slow motion... ( = most welcome and useful bonus)

Quote:
150 dpi is virtually useless for reading if you want to maintain proper page layout of scientific papers in PDF. No, i don't care about other document formats.
Absolutely, 150dpi is a legacy justifiable just because they could not get it better originally. It is the same for any format, it is just more taxing on the fixed layout of a PDF

Quote:
Now if only they wouldn't try to turn these reading devices into tablet style gadgets but would rather enhance their reading and text management capabilities. Multitasking and parallel referencing of multiple documents would be much more interesting than anything else.
Noi clear: "enhancing reading and text management capabilities" is given by them being "tablet style gadgets". There is no software around to give you "parallel referencing of multiple documents"? And what do you mean with "multitasking", given that it is already part of the Operating System? Those "reading devices" are tablets already!

Last edited by mdp; 09-11-2017 at 03:03 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:47 AM   #51
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
If the specs were decent and it performed well,
I am afraid, if it were the dual core they would have highlighted it...
If it were, I would be bought: I would miss the real estate of the 13.3'', but now I am missing the benefits of a more complete processor.
Battery (the compromise area), I am right now moving for different reasons with three backup supplies...

One liner: the milestone I am waiting for is a Max Carta using at least an i.MX 6 DualLite.

Last edited by mdp; 09-11-2017 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #52
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Yes but 10.3 inch isn't really portable, too.
People use to carry 16'' laptops plus accessories, so a 16'' tablet is still provenly portable.
Less people have an Onyx Boox Max Anyflavour, but I assure you we carry it around.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #53
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am afraid, if it were the dual core they would have highlighted it...
If it were, I would be bought: I would miss the real estate of the 13.3'', but now I am missing the benefits of a more complete processor.
Disappointing. However, it will at least save me some money. No need to duplicate what my Max can already do.

A Carta screen, in and of itself, is not enough of an enticement to encourage me to part with my hard earned cash. I would need to see some serious new and improved specs for that.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #54
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
People use to carry 16'' laptops plus accessories, so a 16'' tablet is still provenly portable.
Less people have an Onyx Boox Max Anyflavour, but I assure you we carry it around.
Yes, it is no problem to carry my Max about even with the added weight of the case which I made for it.

Look at it this way, the additional weightlifting which you will do ferrying the device about will enable you to cancel your gym membership. You'll be happier and healthier for it... Mind you, your wallet may be a good bit lighter as well, so perhaps it is really just a redistribution of the weight.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #55
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Mind you, your wallet may be a good bit lighter as well, so perhaps it is really just a redistribution of the weight.
Of course, carrying only substantial amounts of coins instead of cash is also sensitive in terms of personal safety, against muggers etc.
Not to mention that with the screen protections Mark, I and others built we can feign offenders off with a swing of the backpack.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #56
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
How can 13.3'' be too large? If you state - and I agree - that 10.3'' is adequate for PDF, well 13.3'' is just double. [...]
If you don't mind and even welcome the much increased bulkiness of a 13.3" device, more power to you. I'd rather conform myself with something that comes more handy both in size and supposedly also prize. To each his own.

I certainly don't want to spoil my reading pleasure with a device almost as huge in display real estate as my 14.1" T61 Thinkpad if a 10.3" device is already providing all i'd ever need. No display overkill required here.

Quote:
There is no software around to give you "parallel referencing of multiple documents"? And what do you mean with "multitasking", given that it is already part of the Operating System? Those "reading devices" are tablets already!
I don't think that it's acceptable that a manufacturer believes that by switching to an outdated Android cripple they could be exempted from providing more useful software destined to actually fulfill the sold device's primary purpose.

Ever tried to open multiple PDF files in parallel and switch between those? What use is the multitasking capability of a crippled Linux variant if the software it was delivered with doesn't even take the slightest advantage of it at all?

Just for the record: I am almost exclusively using Linux since about 1995 and i am rather appalled by all these Android limitations.

Last edited by orebmur; 09-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #57
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
A Carta screen, in and of itself, is not enough of an enticement
About that, I never went to assess the difference between otherwise itentical "pearl" vs "carta". But, per area, the displays of the T68 and of the i86 are much better than that of the Max Carta. With the latter you can see crisp faults in rendering - uneven thicknesses and blur vs contrasted, etc. - if you look close.
I am not sure if it is the "waves" on the EPD controller not fully matching the very recent screen, if it is the lack of a layer such as the capacitive (or similar) touchscreen, or if it is the effect of the "Carta". If it is the latter, it is not a gain, on the contrary.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:15 AM   #58
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Yeah. I really mean 'comfortable portable'. I am traveling with my Onyx Boox Max as well.

I use a Kindle Oasis for quick subway reading on the fly and my Onyx Boox Max for comfortable reading on the couch.

I wouldn't use my Max in the subway and I probably wouldn't use a 10.3" device, too. We'll see what market such a device will have.

Last edited by joblack; 09-12-2017 at 05:28 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #59
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
If you don't mind and even welcome the much increased bulkiness of a 13.3" device, more power to you. [...] To each his own.
I would call 13.3''+ perfect: double average sized page. I like to have as much information as possible in front of me. More than that, it would be welcome for applications (including rich text displaying and editing) but not a gain for PDF rendering. 20''..21'', probably very good for Office Automation, and still portable with some tricks.

Quote:
I certainly don't want to spoil my reading pleasure with a device almost as huge in display real estate as my 14.1" T61 Thinkpad
Mmh, EPD based laptop... Pleasure...

Quote:
Android cripple
Why crippled? What's missing?

Quote:
device's primary purpose.
No, sorry, I am not really sure ; )
For example: text editing: 85% reading, 15% editing. EPD is the right domain.

Quote:
Ever tried to open multiple PDF files in parallel and switch between those?
I'll look into it (told you I would).

Quote:
What use is the multitasking capability of a crippled Linux variant if the software it was delivered with doesn't even take the slightest advantage of it at all?
You mean tab switching in a single app? I interpreted multitasking differently.

Quote:
Just for the record: I am almost exclusively using Linux since about 1995 and i am rather appalled by all these Android limitations.
Hi mate! : )
Well, give me an XFCE on an EPD to make my day...
The compromise is in wanting to use OS specialized for mobility/battery efficiency/market/etc. on ARM based systems. It does things, but yes you have to reduce your own expectations on the efficiency of your own work process.
I do not really understand how a distro cannot be optimized for these devices.
But - have you ever used a Raspberry PI 3? Cortex A53. Not really an i7 experience, right? Well, Onyx likes to use i.MX 6SoloLite. And it is a position many would defend for reasons of battery efficiency.

Last edited by mdp; 09-17-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #60
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Ever tried to open multiple PDF files in parallel and switch between those?
I just had a brief exchange with Ivan (Ivanenko): he says that tabbed document browsing or multi-document browsing in general is a good idea, but it cannot be implemented soon in Librera. I am sure it will happen sooner or later.