Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-30-2023, 04:32 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is definitely not true. In fact it is the opposite. You keep whatever version of the book was current at the time you bought it.

Only in rare cases when the publisher convinces Amazon that an update is critical will it be made available to past purchasers to accept optionally.
Unlike Smashwords where the user/reader can download all versions since bought version.

A publisher has to convince Amazon that it's only formatting / typos and no re-writing and then they'll make it available to prior purchasers. Then you can't download the old version. Make backups and rename older or newer version or download overwrites old one.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:11 PM   #17
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon's policy makes it a good idea to wait until you are ready to read it before buying a book. If you buy ahead you may miss out on the fixing of typos and formatting problems by the publisher.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:42 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
I didn't have "Automatic" book updates on, but it's been prompting me that an update is available in my library if there is one. I always tell it to update to the latest version. But, that's really not going to make any difference since I don't actually have anything on a Kindle any more to be updated.

I AM downloading to my old Kindle Touch (to transfer via USB). That could be the difference. Maybe they stopped updating the older formats that would go to those older devices and only update the latest and greatest copy-protectedness versions. And, I'd assume the ones they lend via Overdrive would be locked down the hardest.
The Kindle Touch being an older device makes no difference to the code you get with KF8. But as to why your copy is different makes no sense. Can you return it and buy again? If not, call Amazon and see what they have to say.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:48 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon's policy makes it a good idea to wait until you are ready to read it before buying a book. If you buy ahead you may miss out on the fixing of typos and formatting problems by the publisher.
Yes, I just add it to my Kindle Wish List unless it's a time limited very good offer!

Once I got a 30%+ discount allegedly because an ebook was in my wish list!
Old 02-03-2023, 08:01 AM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, I just add it to my Kindle Wish List unless it's a time limited very good offer!

Once I got a 30%+ discount allegedly because an ebook was in my wish list!
In catching up with this thread, during my recovery, all I can say is, if that coder worked for me (the one that did those chapter heads)...he wouldn't. Not once I'd seen this dog's breakfast.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:54 AM   #21
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Glad you’re on the mend! Welcome back!!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:20 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Yes. Hope you mending well, Hitch.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Quote:
Yes. Hope you mending well, Hitch.
Thanks, boyos. Sloooowly, apparently, very slooowly. "recovering" form this stuff is right up there with trying to pour raw Maple syrup on a 0°F morning. (or -17.7778 for you C folks!)

Unbelievable, this really has been. AT this point, I'm giving up fighting it. You just sort of...wait.

Thanks! Youze guys iz de bestest.

Hitch
Old 02-03-2023, 01:39 PM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

She's still mostly dead, I think.

Needs something more reviving and liquid than Maple Syrup.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:31 PM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
She's still mostly dead, I think.

Needs something more reviving and liquid than Maple Syrup.
Oh, you have NO idea...

Hitch
Old 02-03-2023, 03:54 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
In catching up with this thread, during my recovery, all I can say is, if that coder worked for me (the one that did those chapter heads)...he wouldn't. Not once I'd seen this dog's breakfast.

Hitch
But I downloaded that eBook from Amazon and it looks nothing like what the OP posted. The chapter headers display correctly.

Welcome back! I hope you are getting better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote