Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
AoiHana
AoiHana began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic
what to think of those Chinese generic reader ?

Hi.
I lost my kindle and want to change.
What do you think about those offers https://www.cdiscount.com/informatiq...190237424.html
Is it a scam ? Does someone has experience with them ?
AoiHana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have never seen these but the description says 300 dpi in the heading but 167 dpi in the text. 800 x 600 is 167 dpi which is technology of 10 -12 years ago for screen display. Perhaps they were lost for years in a warehouse which would make me wonder about the battery.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I can't say for certain, but it looks like it uses an LCD screen instead of e-Ink.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I can't say for certain, but it looks like it uses an LCD screen instead of e-Ink.
They specifically say E Ink in the text but it is likely really old stuff.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
AoiHana
AoiHana began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic
okay...
AoiHana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoiHana View Post
Hi.
What do you think about those offers https://www.cdiscount.com/informatiq...190237424.html
If you're in the United States and looking for an inexpensive reader, I would look at the Kobo Aura at Walmart. For $70 you get a front-lit, E-Carta (212ppi) touch screen.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Aura...bled/926485654

If you live in Europe and want a basic, non-touch eReader, non-front-lit eReader, both the Pocketbook Basic 3 and Tolino Page (both use E-Carta 167ppi screens) sell for about $75 (or about Euro 70).

https://www.grooves-inc.com/pocketbo...edium=category

(Looks like Grooves is currently out of the Tolino Page, but they seem to get them back in stock fairly quickly. If you live in Europe you can probably find these all over the place.)

Last edited by rcentros; 08-31-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
They specifically say E Ink in the text but it is likely really old stuff.
Okay. I guess I missed that. Either it's poor quality e-Ink, or a lousy picture.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
Hotaru
Hotaru began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
That generic reader looks quite suspicious, and the description is misleading (it says 300 dpi in the title but it's actually 167 dpi). I wouldn't trust it.

Are you Japanese? If you want a very cheap reader, you could buy a second hand Kobo Touch (or similar) on https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/.
Hotaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
If you have a Big Lots store in your area, check them. They carry that kind of junk stuff.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:29 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoiHana View Post
Hi.
I'd go with a scam or they really don't know what they are selling. A 6" 600x800 screen at 300 PPI does not exist -- the screen would have an 8.4cm (3.33 inch) diagonal. The 167 PPI mentioned in the body of the text would give a 15.21cm (5.98 inch) diagonal device.

A quick search on Amazon came up with Zerone and Ashata ereaders that look identical to the device you linked to (the Zerone even comes in blue). Hmmm... no touch screen, 600x800 resolution... takes me back quite few years when I owned a Kobo WiFi.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-31-2019 at 08:32 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote